Python Docs. Hardcopy 2.4 Library Reference, interested?

Brad Clements

Is anyone interested in purchasing a hardcopy version of the Python 2.4
Library reference?

That is, assuming it was NOT a direct print of current html/pdf versions.

So, nicely formatted for a printed book (spiral bound probably), with
several indexes as appropriate, or perhaps a permutted index.

I'm thinking about doing this through lulu.com or cafepress, but it's going
to take a lot of work to make a really nice printed version of the library
reference from the LaTex source files (even via sgmlconv). Also wondering if
I can get bleeds from either of these sites.

So, before I waste my time. Is anyone interested in such a beast? And if so,
how much would you be willing to spend?

On demand printing still looks expensive to me. :-(

--
Novell DeveloperNet Sysop #5

(oh gee, but no NLMs anymore )

_

Paul Rubin

Brad Clements said:
Is anyone interested in purchasing a hardcopy version of the Python 2.4
Library reference?

That is, assuming it was NOT a direct print of current html/pdf versions.

So, nicely formatted for a printed book (spiral bound probably), with
several indexes as appropriate, or perhaps a permutted index.

I'm thinking about doing this through lulu.com or cafepress, but it's going
to take a lot of work to make a really nice printed version of the library
reference from the LaTex source files (even via sgmlconv). Also wondering if
I can get bleeds from either of these sites.

I don't see any point to doing that work. The pdfs look good enough.
I have my own laser printer so I don't think I'd buy a printed copy of
the pdf's, but someone without a printer might find it worthwhile, and
I might buy it if I only had my old inkjet printer. I wouldn't pay
extra for nicer formatting though.

I haven't felt so far like I needed hardcopy (except for some Tkinter
I downloaded, where a printed copy was very helpful). What I really
want is better documentation, not nicer printing of the existing docs.

Jacek Generowicz

Brad Clements said:
Is anyone interested in purchasing a hardcopy version of the Python 2.4
Library reference?

That is, assuming it was NOT a direct print of current html/pdf versions.

So, nicely formatted for a printed book (spiral bound probably), with
several indexes as appropriate, or perhaps a permutted index.

I'm thinking about doing this through lulu.com or cafepress, but it's going
to take a lot of work to make a really nice printed version of the library
reference from the LaTex source files (even via sgmlconv). Also wondering if
I can get bleeds from either of these sites.

So, before I waste my time. Is anyone interested in such a beast? And if so,
how much would you be willing to spend?

On demand printing still looks expensive to me. :-(

Brian Gough (Network Theory Ltd.) publishes Python manuals:

http://www.network-theory.co.uk/python/

He sometimes reads this group; I've CCd him to give him a heads-up.

Brian Gough

Brad Clements said:
Is anyone interested in purchasing a hardcopy version of the Python 2.4
Library reference?

I have one in the pipeline but I'm waiting for sales of the Python
Tutorial and Python Language Reference to justify bringing it out.

The amount of text in the library manual is huge (it requires two
volumes), which makes it more costly.

--
best regards,

Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd,
Publishing the Python Manuals --- http://www.network-theory.co.uk/python/

Richie Hindle

[Brian]
I have one in the pipeline but I'm waiting for sales of the Python
Tutorial and Python Language Reference to justify bringing it out.

I'd be interested to know how many of these manuals you sell...? This is
only idle curiosity, and if you don't want to say then that's no problem.
(I'd briefly considered doing this myself, until I found your site.)

Brian Gough

Richie Hindle said:
I'd be interested to know how many of these manuals you sell...? This is
only idle curiosity, and if you don't want to say then that's no problem.
(I'd briefly considered doing this myself, until I found your site.)

I sell about 10 python manuals per month on average.

For each copy sold, $1 of the price is donated to the Python Software
Foundation. So far, that makes $341, putting us at #16 on the PSF
donors ranking (http://www.python.org/psf/donations.html).

All of the money from our sales (including other manuals) goes back
into free software and documentation, either by direct donations or by
supporting my work as a GNU maintainer.

You can find more information at the following urls,

http://www.network-theory.co.uk/python/manual/ - python tutorial
http://www.network-theory.co.uk/python/language/ - language reference
http://www.network-theory.co.uk/about.html - general company info

--
best regards

Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd,
Publishing the Python Manuals --- http://www.network-theory.co.uk/python/

Esmail Bonakdarian

somewhat related .. is there a good quick reference for python?
o'reilly has a quick ref guide 2nd ed is a few years old, and
the ones i have found on-line seem a bit big. I am looking for
something relatively concise that I can carry with me ... not
sure such a thing exists?

thanks.

beliavsky

O'Reilly has CD bookshelves http://cdbookshelves.oreilly.com/ ,
combining their books on a topic into a CD, for various subjects,
including Perl, but not yet for Python. I own the paper copies of
several of their Python books. A single CD containing their books

Jython Essentials
Learning Python, 2nd Edition
Programming Python, 2nd Edition
Python & XML
Python Cookbook
Python in a Nutshell
Python Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition
Python Programming on Win32
Python Standard Library

would be a great purchase, especially if upgrade prices were available
when new editions of books like "Python in a Nutshell" were released,
to keep up with changes in the language. I wonder who at O'Reilly can
be contacted to lobby for this.