Python Docs. Hardcopy 2.4 Library Reference, interested?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Brad Clements, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. Is anyone interested in purchasing a hardcopy version of the Python 2.4
    Library reference?

    That is, assuming it was NOT a direct print of current html/pdf versions.

    So, nicely formatted for a printed book (spiral bound probably), with
    several indexes as appropriate, or perhaps a permutted index.

    I'm thinking about doing this through lulu.com or cafepress, but it's going
    to take a lot of work to make a really nice printed version of the library
    reference from the LaTex source files (even via sgmlconv). Also wondering if
    I can get bleeds from either of these sites.

    So, before I waste my time. Is anyone interested in such a beast? And if so,
    how much would you be willing to spend?

    On demand printing still looks expensive to me. :-(

    --
    Novell DeveloperNet Sysop #5

    (oh gee, but no NLMs anymore )

    _

    Brad Clements, Dec 8, 2004

  2. Brad Clements

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Brad Clements" <> writes:
    > Is anyone interested in purchasing a hardcopy version of the Python 2.4
    > Library reference?
    >
    > That is, assuming it was NOT a direct print of current html/pdf versions.
    >
    > So, nicely formatted for a printed book (spiral bound probably), with
    > several indexes as appropriate, or perhaps a permutted index.
    >
    > I'm thinking about doing this through lulu.com or cafepress, but it's going
    > to take a lot of work to make a really nice printed version of the library
    > reference from the LaTex source files (even via sgmlconv). Also wondering if
    > I can get bleeds from either of these sites.

    I don't see any point to doing that work. The pdfs look good enough.
    I have my own laser printer so I don't think I'd buy a printed copy of
    the pdf's, but someone without a printer might find it worthwhile, and
    I might buy it if I only had my old inkjet printer. I wouldn't pay
    extra for nicer formatting though.

    I haven't felt so far like I needed hardcopy (except for some Tkinter
    I downloaded, where a printed copy was very helpful). What I really
    want is better documentation, not nicer printing of the existing docs.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 8, 2004

  3. "Brad Clements" <> writes:

    > Is anyone interested in purchasing a hardcopy version of the Python 2.4
    > Library reference?
    >
    > That is, assuming it was NOT a direct print of current html/pdf versions.
    >
    > So, nicely formatted for a printed book (spiral bound probably), with
    > several indexes as appropriate, or perhaps a permutted index.
    >
    > I'm thinking about doing this through lulu.com or cafepress, but it's going
    > to take a lot of work to make a really nice printed version of the library
    > reference from the LaTex source files (even via sgmlconv). Also wondering if
    > I can get bleeds from either of these sites.
    >
    > So, before I waste my time. Is anyone interested in such a beast? And if so,
    > how much would you be willing to spend?
    >
    > On demand printing still looks expensive to me. :-(

    Brian Gough (Network Theory Ltd.) publishes Python manuals:

    http://www.network-theory.co.uk/python/

    He sometimes reads this group; I've CCd him to give him a heads-up.

    Jacek Generowicz, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Brad Clements

    Brian Gough Guest

    "Brad Clements" <> writes:

    > Is anyone interested in purchasing a hardcopy version of the Python 2.4
    > Library reference?

    I have one in the pipeline but I'm waiting for sales of the Python
    Tutorial and Python Language Reference to justify bringing it out.

    The amount of text in the library manual is huge (it requires two
    volumes), which makes it more costly.

    --
    best regards,

    Brian Gough

    Network Theory Ltd,
    Publishing the Python Manuals --- http://www.network-theory.co.uk/python/

    Brian Gough, Dec 9, 2004
  5. [Brian]
    > I have one in the pipeline but I'm waiting for sales of the Python
    > Tutorial and Python Language Reference to justify bringing it out.

    I'd be interested to know how many of these manuals you sell...? This is
    only idle curiosity, and if you don't want to say then that's no problem.
    (I'd briefly considered doing this myself, until I found your site.)

    --
    Richie Hindle

    Richie Hindle, Dec 9, 2004
  6. Brad Clements

    Brian Gough Guest

    Richie Hindle <> writes:

    > I'd be interested to know how many of these manuals you sell...? This is
    > only idle curiosity, and if you don't want to say then that's no problem.
    > (I'd briefly considered doing this myself, until I found your site.)

    I sell about 10 python manuals per month on average.

    For each copy sold, $1 of the price is donated to the Python Software
    Foundation. So far, that makes $341, putting us at #16 on the PSF
    donors ranking (http://www.python.org/psf/donations.html).

    All of the money from our sales (including other manuals) goes back
    into free software and documentation, either by direct donations or by
    supporting my work as a GNU maintainer.

    You can find more information at the following urls,

    http://www.network-theory.co.uk/python/manual/ - python tutorial
    http://www.network-theory.co.uk/python/language/ - language reference
    http://www.network-theory.co.uk/about.html - general company info

    Brian Gough, Dec 11, 2004
  7. your favorite quick reference? (was Python Docs. Hardcopy 2.4 LibraryReference, interested?)

    somewhat related .. is there a good quick reference for python?
    o'reilly has a quick ref guide 2nd ed is a few years old, and
    the ones i have found on-line seem a bit big. I am looking for
    something relatively concise that I can carry with me ... not
    sure such a thing exists?

    thanks.

    Esmail Bonakdarian, Dec 11, 2004
  8. Brad Clements

    Guest

    Re: your favorite quick reference? (was Python Docs. Hardcopy 2.4 Library Reference, interested?)

    O'Reilly has CD bookshelves http://cdbookshelves.oreilly.com/ ,
    combining their books on a topic into a CD, for various subjects,
    including Perl, but not yet for Python. I own the paper copies of
    several of their Python books. A single CD containing their books

    Jython Essentials
    Learning Python, 2nd Edition
    Programming Python, 2nd Edition
    Python & XML
    Python Cookbook
    Python in a Nutshell
    Python Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition
    Python Programming on Win32
    Python Standard Library

    would be a great purchase, especially if upgrade prices were available
    when new editions of books like "Python in a Nutshell" were released,
    to keep up with changes in the language. I wonder who at O'Reilly can
    be contacted to lobby for this.

    , Dec 11, 2004