Python Documentation?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Daniel R. Smorey Jr., Sep 1, 2003.

  1. I'm looking for a good place for Python documentation. I'm really lost
    on why it's so hard to find anything when it comes to me looking up a
    particular function in Python. My example would be the split() function
    of the string module. Why can't I just go to www.python.org and click
    on Search and then type in split and it bring me to the split() function
    of the string module? Why does it have to be so hard? This is what I
    get when I search for split on www.python.org...

    http://search.python.org/query.html?qt=split&col=ftp&col=python&col=peps&col=starship

    Most of those hits are for the re module, not the string module (which
    in my opinion should be part of python and not a module, but I digress).
    Why would it not bring up the split function of the string module
    first and foremost?

    If I do a search right now on www.perldoc.com for split, I get...

    http://www.perldoc.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?words=split&restrict=perl5.8.0

    Right there, the top hit is the slit function, how convenient.

    If I go to www.php.net and type in split in the function list search, I
    get...

    http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.split.php

    I don't even get a hit list, it goes right to the split() function.
    Even more convenient.

    I'm trying to learn Python because we're doing some work on the Zaurus
    and there are so many supporting python modules for the Zaurus, that I'd
    like to use it. I love learning new languages also. It just gives me a
    bad taste in my mouth when I even think of searching for anything in Python.

    Am I searching the wrong place? Am I choosing the wrong checkboxes on
    the Search page? I'm at a loss. Is it really that hard to find
    documentation on the python.org site?

    Thanks for hearing my rant and I'm hoping I'm just doing something
    wrong. I really can't imagine such an organized programming language
    having such a horrible search on their website.
    Daniel R. Smorey Jr., Sep 1, 2003

  2. Quoth Daniel R. Smorey Jr.:
    > I'm looking for a good place for Python documentation. I'm really lost
    > on why it's so hard to find anything when it comes to me looking up a
    > particular function in Python. My example would be the split() function
    > of the string module. [...trouble searching for it at python.org...]

    For full-text searches, try <http://www.pydoc.org/>.

    For functions and whatnot, there's the index of the Library
    Reference, <http://www.python.org/doc/2.3/lib/genindex.html>.

    [...]
    > Most of those hits are for the re module, not the string module (which
    > in my opinion should be part of python and not a module, but I digress).

    Indeed, in sufficiently recent Pythons (2.0+, I think), split() is
    a method of string objects:
    >>> 'foo bar'.split()

    ['foo', 'bar']
    Likewise for many other functions in the string module.

    (This method is the second hit for "split" at pydoc.org, and is
    listed in the Library Reference index.)

    --
    Steven Taschuk "The world will end if you get this wrong."
    -- "Typesetting Mathematics -- User's Guide",
    Steven Taschuk, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Daniel R. Smorey Jr.

    Nick Welch Guest

    pydoc is pretty nice, try "pydoc str", and then use / to search for
    "split".

    As far as searching the online docs, it takes a little adaptation. To
    look for str.split, I'd do a google "site:www.python.org built-in
    types", and then look for str, and then look at split.

    And doing just that, and clicking once or twice, brought me to:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/string-methods.html

    Although I agree, it would be cool if the online documentation supported
    such direct search methods as e.g. www.php.net/split.

    --
    Nick Welch aka mackstann | mack @ incise.org | http://incise.org
    What is the difference between a Turing machine and the modern
    Nick Welch, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Daniel R. Smorey Jr.

    Chad Netzer Guest

    On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 21:41, Daniel R. Smorey Jr. wrote:
    > Why can't I just go to www.python.org and click
    > on Search and then type in split and it bring me to the split() function
    > of the string module?

    Not a bad idea.

    > Why does it have to be so hard?

    Start up a python interpreter and type:

    help('string.split')

    To see the whole string module:

    help('string')

    It also work directly on module and function objects:

    import string
    help(string)

    Finally, the string module is being slowly phased out. You can use the
    string constructor type instead (in Python 2.2 and later):

    help(str.split)
    help(str)
    etc...

    --
    Chad Netzer
    Chad Netzer, Sep 1, 2003
  5. Daniel R. Smorey Jr.

    Robert Kern Guest

    In article <>,
    "Daniel R. Smorey Jr." <> writes:
    > I'm looking for a good place for Python documentation. I'm really lost
    > on why it's so hard to find anything when it comes to me looking up a
    > particular function in Python. My example would be the split() function
    > of the string module. Why can't I just go to www.python.org and click
    > on Search and then type in split and it bring me to the split() function
    > of the string module?

    Well, since you know which module the function is in, you can go to the
    documentation page, look up string in the Global Module Index and find
    split(). Only a few more clicks.

    Or, even easier, you can fire up the interpreter, and do the following:

    >>> import string
    >>> help(string.split)

    Or, on the commandline, type

    pydoc string.split

    > Why does it have to be so hard? This is what I
    > get when I search for split on www.python.org...
    >
    > http://search.python.org/query.html?qt=split&col=ftp&col=python&col=peps&col=starship
    >
    > Most of those hits are for the re module, not the string module (which
    > in my opinion should be part of python and not a module, but I digress).

    Most of them are since 2.0. Check out string methods.

    http://python.org/doc/current/lib/string-methods.html

    > Why would it not bring up the split function of the string module
    > first and foremost?

    Because no one has asked for it to do so before? Because the unpaid
    volunteers with limited time who run the site don't need the feature
    themselves and never realized that others might want it? Because the
    string method and re function split() are equally good or better options
    to return first?

    Although I agree that there should be a checkbox option to search only
    the current docs.

    --
    Robert Kern

    -- Richard Harter
    Robert Kern, Sep 1, 2003
  6. Daniel R. Smorey Jr.

    John Burton Guest

    "Daniel R. Smorey Jr." <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a good place for Python documentation. I'm really lost
    > on why it's so hard to find anything when it comes to me looking up a
    > particular function in Python. My example would be the split() function

    The help within python itsself is a good start.
    For your example try

    import string
    help(string.split)

    No need to visit a web site.
    John Burton, Sep 1, 2003
  7. Daniel R. Smorey Jr.

    Dan Thrue Guest

    Daniel R. Smorey Jr. wrote:
    > I'm looking for a good place for Python documentation. I'm really lost
    > on why it's so hard to find anything when it comes to me looking up a
    > particular function in Python. My example would be the split() function
    > of the string module. Why can't I just go to www.python.org and click
    > on Search and then type in split and it bring me to the split() function
    > of the string module? Why does it have to be so hard? This is what I
    > get when I search for split on www.python.org...
    >
    > http://search.python.org/query.html?qt=split&col=ftp&col=python&col=peps&col=starship
    >

    > Most of those hits are for the re module, not the string module (which
    > in my opinion should be part of python and not a module, but I digress).
    > Why would it not bring up the split function of the string module first
    > and foremost?
    >
    > If I do a search right now on www.perldoc.com for split, I get...
    >
    > http://www.perldoc.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?words=split&restrict=perl5.8.0
    >
    > Right there, the top hit is the slit function, how convenient.
    >
    > If I go to www.php.net and type in split in the function list search, I
    > get...
    >
    > http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.split.php
    >
    > I don't even get a hit list, it goes right to the split() function. Even
    > more convenient.
    >
    > I'm trying to learn Python because we're doing some work on the Zaurus
    > and there are so many supporting python modules for the Zaurus, that I'd
    > like to use it. I love learning new languages also. It just gives me a
    > bad taste in my mouth when I even think of searching for anything in
    > Python.
    >
    > Am I searching the wrong place? Am I choosing the wrong checkboxes on
    > the Search page? I'm at a loss. Is it really that hard to find
    > documentation on the python.org site?
    >
    > Thanks for hearing my rant and I'm hoping I'm just doing something
    > wrong. I really can't imagine such an organized programming language
    > having such a horrible search on their website.

    Hi Daniel,

    Me and a friend am about to finish a project in a couple of weeks, that
    maybe fits your needs.

    We are currently documenting the parts if python, we meet in our daily
    python development (Some gaming software where we mix native delphi with
    python. This mixture has surprised us a lot, we are indeed python
    fanatics now, hehe).

    The documentation takes contributions on example snippets, description,
    etc. so when the site is completely done and a base of documentation
    have been posted, im gonna post link in here, then maybe the community
    will help us to create a great documentation source :) And find the
    errors we might post :)

    Regards all,
    Dan
    Dan Thrue, Sep 1, 2003
  8. Daniel R. Smorey Jr.

    Larz Guest

    > The documentation takes contributions on example snippets,
    > description, etc. so when the site is completely done and a base of
    > documentation have been posted, im gonna post link in here, then maybe
    > the community will help us to create a great documentation source :)

    Hi all, I'm the friend that Dan is talking about ;)

    Just wanted to clarify our project a little bit.

    Dan and I are long time php programmers. One thing that is superb about
    php, is it's online documentation that everyone in the community can
    contribute to (not the actual documentation, just comments with
    examples).

    Every since I first started using python, I've truly missed a
    documentation source similar to that of PHP's. So Dan and I have started
    our little project to make a documentation site in the spirit of that
    documentation.

    So far it looks great, and you can see some python documentation by using
    URLs like http://example.com/doc/string.split and there will of course be
    a search function.

    Also, it will not only be the "standard" modules of Python, by suggestion
    (and perhaps permission), we will include third party modules, such as
    MySQLdb and the like.

    As Dan writes, it will be ready very soon, within a few weeks. It will of
    course be devoid of user comments in the beginning, but we're hoping that
    users will contribute with some of their invaluable experience!

    Best regards,

    Lars Petersen

    --
    larz
    to mail me, remove your pants!
    Larz, Sep 1, 2003
  9. In article <Xns93E975FCE1E58godlarz@62.243.74.162>,
    Larz <> wrote:
    .
    .
    .
    >Dan and I are long time php programmers. One thing that is superb about
    >php, is it's online documentation that everyone in the community can
    >contribute to (not the actual documentation, just comments with
    >examples).
    >
    >Every since I first started using python, I've truly missed a
    >documentation source similar to that of PHP's. So Dan and I have started
    >our little project to make a documentation site in the spirit of that
    >documentation.

    .
    .
    .
    PHP's documentation has indeed been a great success as a
    collaborative adventure.

    Python already has a structure--and much content!--for
    comparable collaboration in <URL: http://
    www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/ >. Moreover, as several
    follow-ups have explained, Python developers have differ-
    ent work practices than PHPers, and a different relation
    to documentation. In particular, it's hard to overempha-
    size how much working Python programmers depend on
    interactive introspection: use of the interpreter's
    built-in help, pydoc, and related facilities to discover
    and confirm details that, in PHPonia, are regarded as
    matters for online documentation.
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net
    Cameron Laird, Sep 1, 2003
  10. "Daniel R. Smorey Jr." <> writes:

    > I'm looking for a good place for Python documentation.

    In addition to what others said, there's Thomas Heller's pyhelp.cgi
    thingy:

    http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/pyhelp.cgi

    and Mark Hammond's Mozilla sidebar:

    http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/mozilla/index.html

    (which provides an interface to Thomas' script).

    > I'm really lost on why it's so hard to find anything when it comes
    > to me looking up a particular function in Python. My example would
    > be the split() function of the string module.

    You mean you weren't born knowing what that did? Sheesh, kids these
    days... <wink>.

    Cheers,
    mwh

    --
    Never meddle in the affairs of NT. It is slow to boot and quick to
    crash. -- Stephen Harris
    Michael Hudson, Sep 1, 2003
  11. Daniel R. Smorey Jr.

    Dan Thrue Guest

    Cameron Laird wrote:
    > In article <Xns93E975FCE1E58godlarz@62.243.74.162>,
    > Larz <> wrote:
    > .
    > .
    > .
    >
    >>Dan and I are long time php programmers. One thing that is superb about
    >>php, is it's online documentation that everyone in the community can
    >>contribute to (not the actual documentation, just comments with
    >>examples).
    >>
    >>Every since I first started using python, I've truly missed a
    >>documentation source similar to that of PHP's. So Dan and I have started
    >>our little project to make a documentation site in the spirit of that
    >>documentation.

    > .
    > .
    > .
    > PHP's documentation has indeed been a great success as a
    > collaborative adventure.
    >
    > Python already has a structure--and much content!--for
    > comparable collaboration in <URL: http://
    > www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/ >. Moreover, as several
    > follow-ups have explained, Python developers have differ-
    > ent work practices than PHPers, and a different relation
    > to documentation. In particular, it's hard to overempha-
    > size how much working Python programmers depend on
    > interactive introspection: use of the interpreter's
    > built-in help, pydoc, and related facilities to discover
    > and confirm details that, in PHPonia, are regarded as
    > matters for online documentation.

    Hi Cameron,

    Thank for your feedback, i personally uses pydoc when im in need of
    documentation, but sometimes i have been in such situations where code
    snippets was necessary for me. The background for this project is to
    gain a great database public of snippets hooked in a structure that is
    easily for all to use, novice as well as expert.

    Maybe its the way i think, but i understand and learn a lot faster
    (better?) when the the theory is put into practice.

    At my daily work im a .net programmer, and the documentation im using
    there is also "practice based". Im not a theoretic person, and I think
    there is a lot like myself out there :)

    Best Regards
    Dan
    Dan Thrue, Sep 1, 2003
  12. Daniel R. Smorey Jr.

    Larz Guest

    (Cameron Laird) wrote in news:vl6dmm8jutl140
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > Python already has a structure--and much content!--for
    > comparable collaboration in <URL: http://
    > www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/ >. Moreover, as several
    > follow-ups have explained, Python developers have differ-
    > ent work practices than PHPers, and a different relation
    > to documentation. In particular, it's hard to overempha-
    > size how much working Python programmers depend on
    > interactive introspection: use of the interpreter's
    > built-in help, pydoc, and related facilities to discover
    > and confirm details that, in PHPonia, are regarded as
    > matters for online documentation.

    Yes, I agree that a lot of python programmers think differently.
    Even though, I sense a general consensus, especially among beginning
    Pythoneers, that the community lacks a great tool, like the one PHP has.
    Of course I am not just thinking about the documentation itself, which you
    could get with pydoc/help(), but also experience, pointers, pitfalls that
    other people ran in to. That's what makes it a community ;)

    Anyway, I am pretty sure we're going to fill a much needed niche, and if
    not, we're certainly going to meet our own needs ;)

    --
    larz
    to mail me, remove your pants!
    Larz, Sep 1, 2003
  13. In article <Xns93E99702FBABCgodlarz@62.243.74.162>,
    Larz <> wrote:
    > (Cameron Laird) wrote in news:vl6dmm8jutl140
    >@corp.supernews.com:
    >
    >> Python already has a structure--and much content!--for
    >> comparable collaboration in <URL: http://
    >> www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/ >. Moreover, as several
    >> follow-ups have explained, Python developers have differ-
    >> ent work practices than PHPers, and a different relation
    >> to documentation. In particular, it's hard to overempha-
    >> size how much working Python programmers depend on
    >> interactive introspection: use of the interpreter's
    >> built-in help, pydoc, and related facilities to discover
    >> and confirm details that, in PHPonia, are regarded as
    >> matters for online documentation.

    >Yes, I agree that a lot of python programmers think differently.
    >Even though, I sense a general consensus, especially among beginning
    >Pythoneers, that the community lacks a great tool, like the one PHP has.
    >Of course I am not just thinking about the documentation itself, which you
    >could get with pydoc/help(), but also experience, pointers, pitfalls that
    >other people ran in to. That's what makes it a community ;)
    >
    >Anyway, I am pretty sure we're going to fill a much needed niche, and if
    >not, we're certainly going to meet our own needs ;)

    .
    .
    .
    Larz, my own career has been almost entirely an
    exploration of the relation between meeting my
    own needs and filling much-needed niches; any
    words of support would be only superfluous.

    I fear, though, that I didn't write clearly. I
    made *two* observations; not only do Pythoneers
    rely on introspection, but we *already* have a
    vehicle for sharing code examples, commentary,
    and related matters: the Wiki (complementing,
    incidentally, the Cookbook).

    Cameron Laird, Sep 1, 2003
  14. In article <3f533f3d$0$32467$>,
    Dan Thrue <> wrote:
    >Cameron Laird wrote:
    >> .
    >> .
    >> .
    >> Python already has a structure--and much content!--for
    >> comparable collaboration in <URL: http://
    >> www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/ >. Moreover, as several

    .
    .
    .
    >Thank for your feedback, i personally uses pydoc when im in need of
    >documentation, but sometimes i have been in such situations where code
    >snippets was necessary for me. The background for this project is to
    >gain a great database public of snippets hooked in a structure that is
    >easily for all to use, novice as well as expert.

    .
    .
    .
    I apologize for muddling my message. I completely agree
    that a public knowledge store of code fragments and re-
    lated matters, that is easy for all to access, is a great
    blessing. That's the aim of the Wiki. Or were you
    judging the Wiki a failure in that, but too polite to
    make it explicit?

    Cameron Laird, Sep 1, 2003
  15. Daniel R. Smorey Jr.

    Dan Thrue Guest

    Cameron Laird wrote:
    > In article <3f533f3d$0$32467$>,
    > Dan Thrue <> wrote:
    >
    >>Cameron Laird wrote:
    >>
    >>> .
    >>> .
    >>> .
    >>>Python already has a structure--and much content!--for
    >>>comparable collaboration in <URL: http://
    >>>www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/ >. Moreover, as several

    > .
    > .
    > .
    >
    >>Thank for your feedback, i personally uses pydoc when im in need of
    >>documentation, but sometimes i have been in such situations where code
    >>snippets was necessary for me. The background for this project is to
    >>gain a great database public of snippets hooked in a structure that is
    >>easily for all to use, novice as well as expert.

    > .
    > .
    > .
    > I apologize for muddling my message. I completely agree
    > that a public knowledge store of code fragments and re-
    > lated matters, that is easy for all to access, is a great
    > blessing. That's the aim of the Wiki. Or were you
    > judging the Wiki a failure in that, but too polite to
    > make it explicit?

    No i wont judge anything a failure in this community :) To say it
    shortly, the wiki doesnt actually fill my requirements.

    Hope that isnt an too arrogant attitude I put up, but remember we do
    this effort for the community as well for our selves.

    Best regards,
    Dan
    Dan Thrue, Sep 1, 2003
  16. Cameron Laird wrote:
    > [...] Pythoneers [...] have a vehicle for sharing code examples,
    > commentary, and related matters: the Wiki (complementing,
    > incidentally, the Cookbook).

    Well, these are already two places, not one :) My observation is that in
    Pythonia, there is quite a diversity in places where code snippets and
    tips are collected. In addition to the two big sources you mentioned,
    there's also the Python FAQ, for example.

    As far as Wikis are concerned, I'd like to humbly suggest that people
    really use the Wiki at python.org, instead of putting content that
    concerns Python itself into their own wikis. Yes, I also mean you,
    Twisted guys! :p

    Decentralisation may have its places, but not for documentation and
    knowledge bases, IMO. That is, if you want to improve on Google being
    your documentation index ;)

    -- Gerhard
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Sep 1, 2003
  17. Michael Hudson wrote:
    >>I'm really lost on why it's so hard to find anything when it comes
    >>to me looking up a particular function in Python. My example would
    >>be the split() function of the string module.

    > You mean you weren't born knowing what that did? Sheesh, kids these
    > days... <wink>.

    haha, yeah, there's only one problem with knowing that function so well,
    some crazy programmers change the variable order. Take a look at php's
    split() and python's split(). The order's are different and believe me,
    split() was only a small example of problems I've had with python
    documentation so far. I'm working on a Zaurus problem with PyQT at the
    moment. I know "some" C, not a lot though and have never worked with
    QT. Man is it hard to find documentation on PyQT. I found a great
    online book, but of course it's only a book, can't possibly have every
    feature and every snippet of PyQT. So, since there is virtually no
    documentation on it, I have to use the C documentation and just convert
    it over. Which I'm finding isn't really that hard since Python is such
    an object-oriented language.

    My main problem is I love learning new languages. However, my boss
    loves me getting my work done also. If I had a place where I could go
    to find partially what I needed 70% of the time, then I'd like the
    language even more. Python hasn't been that way so far. But I'm
    learning and thanks to all the posts here, I'll have a better idea of
    where to find this documentation.

    Thanks all...

    Daniel R. Smorey Jr., Sep 1, 2003
  18. Dan Thrue wrote:
    > No i wont judge anything a failure in this community :) To say it
    > shortly, the wiki doesnt actually fill my requirements.

    I actually find the PHP approach of being able to attach user comments
    to doc pages useful. I try to stay clear from PHP ;-), but I do use it
    in the PostgreSQL interactive documentation:

    Here's an example:
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/interactive/ddl-alter.html#AEN1984

    I find it's a good way to add notes about what's not clear and what
    information is wrong or lacking to the docs. Certainly an easier
    approach than to file a bug report or a doc patch for the Python docs at
    Sourceforge.

    The PostgreSQL docs are created from SGML, while the Python docs are
    created from a LaTeX subset, so I don't know if there's any solution
    that could easily be set up for the Python documentation. I'd like to
    see it implemented, though. [1]

    -- Gerhard

    [1] If nothing else, I could then add "does anybody actually directly
    use this cra^wmodule?" to the page for ftplib <0.1 wink>
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Sep 1, 2003
  19. Cc-ing python-list because it might be of general interest.

    Cameron Laird wrote:
    > In article <> you write:
    >>[1] If nothing else, I could then add "does anybody actually directly
    >>use this cra^wmodule?" to the page for ftplib <0.1 wink>
    >>

    > What *is* going on there? Do you use Twisted instead?

    I needed a quick way to "stat" files via FTP (it's a mirror script that
    synchronizes the maps, etc. on Unreal Tournament 2003 gameservers). As
    ftplib lacks any methods whatsoever to parse the output of the LIST
    command, I searched for something higher level and found ftputil [1],
    which is quite nice to use.

    Unfortunately, the stat command of ftputil was very inefficient (it
    basically does a LIST for every stat() you call), so I extended it with
    a statall() method for my mirror script.

    Being annoyed with Python's ftplib I wasn't surprised that the ftpcp
    function in the module didn't work for me, while calling the Linux ftp
    client (well, whatever /usr/bin/ftp was at that machine ;-) worked fine
    when using the appropriate PROXY commands.

    My current solution creates a script that is then fed into the ftp
    client program. Yes, I need an appropriate ~/.netrc file :-/ It's quite
    a hack, but I needed a solution fast ;-)

    The good part was [2] that I learnt that FTP actually has one useful
    feature: server-to-server copy, which has the additional benefit of not
    creating any significant traffic on the controlling client.

    -- Gerhard

    [1] http://www.ndh.net/home/sschwarzer/python/python_software.html
    [2] thanks to deltab on #python
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Sep 1, 2003
  20. Steven Taschuk wrote:

    > Quoth Daniel R. Smorey Jr.:
    >

    > For full-text searches, try <http://www.pydoc.org/>.
    >
    > For functions and whatnot, there's the index of the Library
    > Reference, <http://www.python.org/doc/2.3/lib/genindex.html>.

    That's exactly what I was looking for! I didn't even know until now
    that you don't have to import string and that split is part of python
    now. pydoc.org gave me that in the first page of hits, I think the
    second hit. Thanks...
    Daniel R. Smorey Jr., Sep 1, 2003