python equivalent of java technologies

Discussion in 'Python' started by Armin, Mar 17, 2009.

  1. Armin

    Armin Guest

    On Wednesday 18 March 2009 15:14:30 markolopa wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > When comparing python and java with a colleague who is fan of java,
    > she challenged me to find in python the equivalent to the following
    > technologies. Could you please help telling if we have something
    > equivalent in python or not and how they compare to the java
    > solutions?
    >
    > - persistance framework (~hibernate)
    > - transational monitor (distributed transaction), XA compliance
    > (message system, DB) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X/Open_XA)
    > - web openess sur le web (web service)
    > - RIA and web deployable graphic library
    > - scheduling (quartz)
    > - secutity (PKI, single sign-on...)
    > - reporting (Jasper)
    >
    > Thanks a lot!
    > Marko

    You could tell her to try Jython. In that, you can just use the Java
    implementations. :) Plus, you have things in Jython that Java doesn't :D

    --
    Armin Moradi
    Armin, Mar 17, 2009

  2. Armin

    Armin Guest

    On Thursday 19 March 2009 07:45:01 Jeremiah Dodds wrote:
    > On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Armin <> wrote:
    > > You could tell her to try Jython. In that, you can just use the Java
    > > implementations. :) Plus, you have things in Jython that Java doesn't :D
    > >
    > > --
    > > Armin Moradi
    > > --

    > Exactly. Her challenges to find stuff have to do with the JVM, not Java the
    > language. Python runs on the JVM.

    Indeed, afaik, Jython produces Java byte-code.

    --
    Armin Moradi

    markolopa, Mar 18, 2009
  4. On Mar 18, 1:14 pm, markolopa <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > When comparing python and java with a colleague who is fan of java,
    > she challenged me to find in python the equivalent to the following
    > technologies. Could you please help telling if we have something
    > equivalent in python or not and how they compare to the java
    > solutions?
    >
    > - persistance framework  (~hibernate)
    > - transational monitor (distributed transaction), XA compliance
    > (message system, DB) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X/Open_XA)

    See SqlAlchemy (or any DB_API module like adodb.py or pymssql),
    SqlObject, Dabo for DB stuff. See PubSub for one type of messaging:
    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pubsub/1 to 3

    > - web openess sur le web (web service)

    Python supports lots of web services. Here are a couple of links:

    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-pyth1.html
    http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/

    It also has lots of web frameworks, such as Django, TurboGears,
    Pylons, Web2Py, Plone/Zope

    Maybe this: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nssbackup/ spec/use-python-schedule

    > - secutity (PKI, single sign-on...)

    I assume this is supposed to be "security". TurboGears can probably do
    this:

    http://docs.turbogears.org/1.0/RoughDocs/OpenIDWithIdentity

    If you do some Googling, it looks like Django does too...

    > - reporting (Jasper)

    reportlab?

    > Thanks a lot!
    > Marko

    Alternatively, you could also use Jython, which can just use the Java
    implementations...

    Mike
    Mike Driscoll, Mar 18, 2009
  5. Armin

    Tim Hoffman Guest

    Hi

    Well zope has quite a few of these out of the box and have been around
    for a bit longer than some of the java options.

    Specifically persistence (ZODB persistence in zope is pretty much
    completely autmomatic)
    you can inplement web services with it (xmlrpc out of the box, though
    I assume you mean soap)
    zope encompasses security/ and authentication and can easily be
    integrated with a range of single signon environments.
    there are a range of scheduling services in to, but which is most like
    quartz I am not sure about.
    zope does support distributed transactions, but I not XA , but is
    ACID.

    In general there are a heap of interfaces for python do different
    message queues/buses, take you pick of you favourite platform.

    Not sure about reporting that is equivalent to jasper.

    Tim Hoffman, Mar 19, 2009
  6. Armin

    Tim Hoffman Guest

    Oops ,

    for RIA there is always pyjamas (gwt for python ;-)

    Tim Hoffman, Mar 19, 2009