python.exe vs pythonw.exe difference?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Emile van Sebille, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Dear group,

    I've possibly narrowed a problem I'm having running zope as a service
    on winxp pro sp 1 in that when started from a command line as:

    c:\zope\v27\lib\python\python.exe
    c:\zope\v27\lib\python\zope\startup\run.py -C
    c:\zope\v27\instance\etc\zope.conf

    it starts up just fine (although now running from the console).

    But when I start it with:

    c:\zope\v27\lib\python\pythonw.exe
    c:\zope\v27\lib\python\zope\startup\run.py -C
    c:\zope\v27\instance\etc\zope.conf

    it dies after about 30 seconds.

    It wouldn't surprise me that I'm doing something it doesn't like (I'm
    spawning additional processes from within a product but it worked fine
    with 2.5), but I'm somewhat at a loss as to debugging it in that when
    run as a console app it works fine, but when run windowless it
    doesn't.

    Do I have to write out check points to a file? or is there some way to
    use Mark Hammonds process debugging tools? Or is this a bug, known or
    otherwise?

    Pointers and hints welcome.

    Emile van Sebille
    emile at fenx dot com