Python Feature Request: (?) Group all file-directory-related stdlib functions in one place

samjnaa

Please check for sanity and approve for posting at python-dev.

Currently file-directory-related functionality in the Python standard
library is scattered among various modules such as shutil, os,
dircache etc. So I request that the functions be gathered and
consolidated at one place. Some may need renaming to avoid conflicts
or for clarification.

bearophileHUGS

Currently file-directory-related functionality in the Python standard
library is scattered among various modules such as shutil, os,
dircache etc. So I request that the functions be gathered and
consolidated at one place. Some may need renaming to avoid conflicts
or for clarification.

I think similar consolidations of the STD lib are positive, they are
scheduled for Python V.3.0-3.1:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3001/
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3108/
If you submit this to python-dev I suggest you to work as much as
possible: finding a good organization, writing justifications all for
all the changes etc. You can also remember that lot of people are
using some nonstandard modules, like the path one, that may be fit for
the STD library, once cleaned up a bit, so you have to take into
accout that too.

Bye,
bearophile

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Currently file-directory-related functionality in the Python standard
library is scattered among various modules such as shutil, os,
dircache etc. So I request that the functions be gathered and
consolidated at one place. Some may need renaming to avoid conflicts
or for clarification.

Please see PEP 355.

Regards,
Martin

faulkner

Please check for sanity and approve for posting at python-dev.

Currently file-directory-related functionality in the Python standard
library is scattered among various modules such as shutil, os,
dircache etc. So I request that the functions be gathered and
consolidated at one place. Some may need renaming to avoid conflicts
or for clarification.

checkout the py3k svn branch and submit a patch [extending or
conforming to pep355] to python-dev.

Nikita the Spider

Currently file-directory-related functionality in the Python standard
library is scattered among various modules such as shutil, os,
dircache etc. So I request that the functions be gathered and
consolidated at one place. Some may need renaming to avoid conflicts
or for clarification.

Please see PEP 355.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for bringing this to my attention; I was not aware of this PEP.
The organization of the stdlib's file- and path-related functions gives
me headaches so I'd like to see it change. But note that GvR has
pronounced that PEP 355 is dead:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-September/069087.html