Python feature request : operator for function composition

Kay Schluehr

As you know, there is no operator for function composition in Python.
When you have two functions F and G and want to express the
composition F o G you have to create a new closure

lambda *args, **kwd: F (G (*args, **kwd))

or you write a composition in functional style

compose( F, G )

None of these solutions is particular terse.

Proposal
-------------
I want to propose overloading the logical __and__ operator i.e. '&'
for functions s.t. F & G means "compose(F,G)". This suggestion is non-
conflicting since & is not used as an operator in combination with
function objects yet: given a function object F and an arbitrary
object X the combination F & X raises a TypeError when evaluated.

Alternatives

Arnaud Delobelle

As you know, there is no operator for function composition in Python.
When you have two functions F and G and  want to express the
composition F o G you have to create a new closure

lambda *args, **kwd: F (G (*args, **kwd))

or you write a composition in functional style

compose( F, G )

None of these solutions is particular terse.

Proposal
-------------
I want to propose overloading the logical __and__ operator i.e. '&'
for functions s.t. F & G means "compose(F,G)". This suggestion is non-
conflicting since & is not used as an operator in combination with
function objects yet: given a function object F and an arbitrary
object X the combination F & X raises a TypeError when evaluated.

Alternatives
-----------------
One could use other unused operators like F << G or F * G to write
terse function composition expressions. I' m not sure which one is
best and would use the proposed & if no one presents arguments against
it.

What about other callable objects?

Kay Schluehr

What about other callable objects?

Supporting general callables would be very fine. I thing a callable
ABC with two protocols named __call__ and __compose__ would be most
adequate. I'm just not sure if Python 2.X requires a more ad hoc
implementation for builtin callable types? On the level of user
defined classes a bundling between __call__ and __compose__ shall
remain optional ( unlike e.g. the dependency between __iter__ and
__next__ for iterables ).

Arnaud Delobelle

Supporting general callables would be very fine. I thing a callable
ABC with two protocols named __call__ and __compose__ would be most
adequate. I'm just not sure if Python 2.X requires a more ad hoc
implementation for builtin callable types? On the level of user
defined classes a bundling between __call__ and __compose__ shall
remain optional ( unlike e.g. the dependency between __iter__ and
__next__ for iterables ).

This would conflict with the fact that the operators you suggest for
composition can already be overloaded for other purposes.

Kay Schluehr

This would conflict with the fact that the operators you suggest for
composition can already be overloaded for other purposes.

True. Extending a callable ABC by __add__ shall be sufficient and does
not cause ambiguities, Just one tiny teardrop for __add__ not being
very telling. Otherwise the intended semantics might be constrained to
builtin function/method/... types and classes that derive from a
callable ABCs. This is sufficient for covering the intended purpose of
function composition and does not exclude close relatives ( methods,
function-like objects ). How someone assigns semantics to a general
__call__ on his own classes is up to him.

George Sakkis

As you know, there is no operator for function composition in Python.
When you have two functions F and G and want to express the
composition F o G you have to create a new closure

lambda *args, **kwd: F (G (*args, **kwd))

or you write a composition in functional style

compose( F, G )

None of these solutions is particular terse.

What if F takes more than one (positional and/or keyword) arguments?
How common is this special use case where F takes a single argument
(the result of G) to deserve a special operator ?

George

Kay Schluehr

What if F takes more than one (positional and/or keyword) arguments?
How common is this special use case where F takes a single argument
(the result of G) to deserve a special operator ?

George

O.K. Point taken. Here is a more general form of compose that is
applicable when both F and G take *args and **kwd arguments.

def compose(F,G):
def prepare_args(args, kwd = {}):
return args if isinstance(args, tuple) else (args,), kwd
def apply_composition(*args, **kwd):
nargs, nkwd = prepare_args(G(*args, **kwd))
return F(*nargs, **nkwd)
return apply_composition

Dustan

[snip]

While you're waiting for it to be implemented, you can build your own
version as a decorator. Here's an example written in haste:
def __init__(self, *funcs):
self.funcs = funcs
def __and__(self, other):
if isinstance(other, composer):
return composer(*(self.funcs+other.funcs))
else:
return composer(*(self.funcs+(other,)))
def __call__(self, *args, **kargs):
for func in reversed(self.funcs):
args = (func(*args, **kargs),)
if kargs:
kargs = {}
return args[0]

def double(x):
return 2*x
def square(x):
return x*x
64

Probably not the best implementation, but you get the idea.

Arnaud Delobelle

[...]

This is nice.
* I wouldn't choose '&' as the composing operator as when I read
'double & square' I think 'take an x, double it & square it' which is
the wrong interpretation (perhaps << instead?).
* I would call the decorator 'composable'.

Dustan

This is nice.
Thanks.

* I wouldn't choose '&' as the composing operator as when I read
'double & square' I think 'take an x, double it & square it' which is
the wrong interpretation (perhaps << instead?).

A very good point that I didn't think about; I just blindly took the
OP's chosen operator. Another thing I realized after writing this was
that I could have also written a corresponding __rand__ method
(__rlshift__ with your alternative operator), in case the object to
the right of the operator is a composer object and to the left is a
simple function.
* I would call the decorator 'composable'.

The thing about that, though, is that this can also be used as a
composition in function style. However, I can't think of any name that
encompasses both uses. And you're right in that composer wasn't a very
good choice of name. As I say, it was written in haste.

Kay Schluehr

This won't work for builtin functions. It hardly works for functions
and methods defined in 3rd party modules and in no way for functions
defined in C extensions. It adds boilerplate statically to remove it
at runtime.