Python for 8/16 Bit MSDOS ( 486 / 586 / K5 / K6/ Beck-IPC ) processors.

Manfred Schwab

Hi there,
which versions of python are usable under MS-DOS 5.0 oder 6.22 or Dr.
DOS.

I want to use it under a industrial environment to collect measuring
data like temperature, moist and signalconditions with a Beck industrial
PC. Did somebody try this already ? Is there a certain URL where i can
get further information.

Thanks in advance for help.

Manfred

--
This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended

Christopher Koppler

Hi there,
which versions of python are usable under MS-DOS 5.0 oder 6.22 or Dr.
DOS.

I want to use it under a industrial environment to collect measuring
data like temperature, moist and signalconditions with a Beck industrial
PC. Did somebody try this already ? Is there a certain URL where i can
get further information.

Look here: http://www.python.org/download/download_windows.html
The last link is a Python port for DOS.

Thomas Heller

Manfred Schwab said:
Hi there,
which versions of python are usable under MS-DOS 5.0 oder 6.22 or Dr.
DOS.

I want to use it under a industrial environment to collect measuring
data like temperature, moist and signalconditions with a Beck industrial
PC. Did somebody try this already ? Is there a certain URL where i can
get further information.

I severely doubt the Beck-IPC has enough memory for that.

Thomas

Cameron Laird

I severely doubt the Beck-IPC has enough memory for that.

Thomas

I like the challenges of working with unusual hosts. Let's
go through this a bit more slowly.

I have no doubt that getting 2.3 to work on a Beck is ...
quixotic. However, there are a lot of alternatives. Earlier,
smaller versions of Python were thriftier with memory (or per-
haps less ambitious). If the goal is enough Python to collect
data as you describe, you might well be able to generate your
own Python from a 1.2 or 1.3 series that works adequately.

Does anyone maintain a museum of old Pythons? These turn out
to be both valuable and relatively modest in effort. I have
too many other unfinished projects now to launch another ...

If you're simply looking for a good way to do development on
a Beck, several other languages (Lua, TinyTcl, Forth, ...)
are likely both to fit and to satisfy at least most of your
affection for high-level programming.

Thomas Heller

I like the challenges of working with unusual hosts. Let's
go through this a bit more slowly.

I have no doubt that getting 2.3 to work on a Beck is ...
quixotic. However, there are a lot of alternatives. Earlier,
smaller versions of Python were thriftier with memory (or per-
haps less ambitious). If the goal is enough Python to collect
data as you describe, you might well be able to generate your
own Python from a 1.2 or 1.3 series that works adequately.

Does anyone maintain a museum of old Pythons? These turn out
to be both valuable and relatively modest in effort. I have
too many other unfinished projects now to launch another ...

ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/src/ has them, starting with 1.0.1.
If you're simply looking for a good way to do development on
a Beck, several other languages (Lua, TinyTcl, Forth, ...)
are likely both to fit and to satisfy at least most of your
affection for high-level programming.

Thomas

Chris Liechti

Manfred Schwab said:
Hi there,
which versions of python are usable under MS-DOS 5.0 oder 6.22 or Dr.
DOS.

I want to use it under a industrial environment to collect measuring
data like temperature, moist and signalconditions with a Beck industrial
PC. Did somebody try this already ? Is there a certain URL where i can
get further information.

if you can use 32 bit extensions in your environment:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bdeck/pythond.htm

chris