    the instructions

    Many thanks

    , May 26, 2006

  2. > Someone has give my 78 year old mother a tool for learning French
    > vocabulary written in Python.

    Is it the tool or the vocabulary that's written in Python ? <g>

    > She has a plain vanilla Windows XP system and does not know what a
    > compiler is.

    One doesn't need to know what's a compiler is to use a program written
    in Python. Most of the time (that is: if the program is packaged for
    end-users), it's not even needed to know what's Python.

    Could you give more details about this tool and your problem with it ?

    bruno de chez modulix en face, May 26, 2006

  3. vbgunz Guest

    maybe you can tell your moms what to do and what binaries to download
    or maybe you can download them for her and either send it to her
    through email or put it on a disc for her... I understand the Windows
    XP installation binary is easy enough for anyone to get going. Just
    follow the prompts.

    Once Python is installed, double clicking .py files would be almost
    like clicking on executables. If a gui should pop up and the Python
    installation went in OK, she should be able to see a Gui and not know
    any different in regards to what exactly is happening in the
    background...

    Start with the binary, get it installed and double click the .py files.
    It should just work. Good luck!

    vbgunz, May 26, 2006
  4. First be sure she needs to install Python, if so, try:

    7 Minutes To Hello World

    http://www.richarddooling.com/index.php/category/geekophilia

    These instructions are for people on Windows XP who don't even know
    what a commandline is. They seem popular, based on the traffic they
    attract.

    Try them and suggest changes using the comments if she falls down at
    any point.

    rd

    BartlebyScrivener, May 26, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    vbgunz <> wrote:
    >maybe you can tell your moms what to do and what binaries to download
    >or maybe you can download them for her and either send it to her
    >through email or put it on a disc for her... I understand the Windows
    >XP installation binary is easy enough for anyone to get going. Just
    >follow the prompts.
    >
    >Once Python is installed, double clicking .py files would be almost
    >like clicking on executables. If a gui should pop up and the Python
    >installation went in OK, she should be able to see a Gui and not know
    >any different in regards to what exactly is happening in the
    >background...
    >
    >Start with the binary, get it installed and double click the .py files.
    >It should just work. Good luck!

    I'm a leeeeettle surprised no one's mentioning the ActivePython <URL:
    http://activestate.com/store/languages/register.plex?id=ActivePython >
    distribution, which to me seems perfectly fitted for such situations.

    Cameron Laird, May 26, 2006
  6. Cameron,

    The "7 Minutes To Hello World" IS the ActiveState distribution. It's
    just hand-holding, click here, click there, for the person who doesn't
    know what "Windows/x86" means on the install page, or perhaps doesn't
    know what to do with the interpreter once it's installed.

    BartlebyScrivener, May 26, 2006

    Many thanks for the helpful links.

    I don't think she's going to start programming, but at least she can
    run her French grammar program.

    , May 29, 2006