Python for my mum

carol.chisholm

Someone has give my 78 year old mother a tool for learning French
vocabulary written in Python.

She has a plain vanilla Windows XP system and does not know what a
compiler is.

What can I tell her to do:

- forget the helpful friend, and use more traditional means to do her
home work
- go to this asy to understand website (need some help here) and follow
the instructions

Many thanks

bruno de chez modulix en face

Is it the tool or the vocabulary that's written in Python ? said:
She has a plain vanilla Windows XP system and does not know what a
compiler is.

One doesn't need to know what's a compiler is to use a program written
in Python. Most of the time (that is: if the program is packaged for
end-users), it's not even needed to know what's Python.

Could you give more details about this tool and your problem with it ?

vbgunz

maybe you can tell your moms what to do and what binaries to download
or maybe you can download them for her and either send it to her
through email or put it on a disc for her... I understand the Windows
XP installation binary is easy enough for anyone to get going. Just
follow the prompts.

Once Python is installed, double clicking .py files would be almost
like clicking on executables. If a gui should pop up and the Python
installation went in OK, she should be able to see a Gui and not know
any different in regards to what exactly is happening in the
background...

Start with the binary, get it installed and double click the .py files.
It should just work. Good luck!

Cameron Laird

maybe you can tell your moms what to do and what binaries to download
or maybe you can download them for her and either send it to her
through email or put it on a disc for her... I understand the Windows
XP installation binary is easy enough for anyone to get going. Just
follow the prompts.

Once Python is installed, double clicking .py files would be almost
like clicking on executables. If a gui should pop up and the Python
installation went in OK, she should be able to see a Gui and not know
any different in regards to what exactly is happening in the
background...

Start with the binary, get it installed and double click the .py files.
It should just work. Good luck!

I'm a leeeeettle surprised no one's mentioning the ActivePython <URL:
http://activestate.com/store/languages/register.plex?id=ActivePython >
distribution, which to me seems perfectly fitted for such situations.

BartlebyScrivener

Cameron,

The "7 Minutes To Hello World" IS the ActiveState distribution. It's
just hand-holding, click here, click there, for the person who doesn't
know what "Windows/x86" means on the install page, or perhaps doesn't
know what to do with the interpreter once it's installed.

carol.chisholm

Many thanks for the helpful links.

I don't think she's going to start programming, but at least she can
run her French grammar program.