Python for Series 60 update

Michel Claveau - abstraction méta-galactique non t

Hi !

Thanks ; and good news : I, finally, could register me into the Nokia's
forums, and I, finally, could to download the package.

@-salutations

Tim Hoffman

Whoo hoo.

Just got it.

I did find a problem with it on my 7610.

It has a python program called bt_console.py which
allows you to start a ptyhon shell, but its I/O is
redirected over Bluetooth to a terminal on a PC (ie Hyper Term)
It goves you have access to the Python shell with a decent
keyboard and screen size through the terminal.

It works, but I had to hard code my bluetooth mac address (I assume
thats what it is called in bluetooth). The bt_discover() call
didn't seem to find my host.

It doesn't include xmlrpclib in the base installed python runtime,
but just send xmlrpclib, and xmlib and away we go.

from the console I could immediatly do xml-rpc calls
to my favourite Zope/CMF instance over GPRS and it just worked.

This is cool.

Tim

Jukka Laurila

I did find a problem with it on my 7610.
It works, but I had to hard code my bluetooth mac address (I assume
thats what it is called in bluetooth). The bt_discover() call
didn't seem to find my host.

How did it fail? Did it simply not show your computer in the list or
did it hang indefinitely when connecting to it? Bluetooth discovery
has always been problematic, but connecting to a host directly using
the mac address has worked perfectly for months now. (I am one of the
developers in this project.)

Try doing the discovery again. Sometimes the phone just magically
discovers hosts it did not see ten seconds earlier. The discovery will
also fail if there already is a Bluetooth connection open, for example
the PC Suite can leave connections open that mess up the
discovery. You can force all connections to be terminated by turning
bluetooth on and off from the phone menu.
from the console I could immediatly do xml-rpc calls
to my favourite Zope/CMF instance over GPRS and it just worked.

This is cool.

Yes, very :)

Tim Hoffman

HI

Jukka said:
How did it fail? Did it simply not show your computer in the list or
did it hang indefinitely when connecting to it? Bluetooth discovery
has always been problematic, but connecting to a host directly using
the mac address has worked perfectly for months now. (I am one of the
developers in this project.)

It always came back saying there where no bluetooth devices around.
Interestingly if I then ran ControlFreak (bluetooth remote control for
Winamp) it would connect to the HyperTerm that was still running.

So I am at a bit of a loss as to why the bt_discover call never found
the host

Also normal sync type operations where working fine (as in install apps
etc)

I will try again on the discover but connecting to the host directly is
enough for me at the moment.

Tim