Python for Series 60 update

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ville Vainio, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. Ville Vainio

    Ville Vainio Guest

    Ville Vainio, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Hi !

    Thanks ; and good news : I, finally, could register me into the Nokia's
    forums, and I, finally, could to download the package.

    @-salutations
    --
    Michel Claveau

    Michel Claveau - abstraction méta-galactique non t, Dec 22, 2004

  3. Ville Vainio

    Tim Hoffman Guest

    Whoo hoo.

    Just got it.

    I did find a problem with it on my 7610.

    It has a python program called bt_console.py which
    allows you to start a ptyhon shell, but its I/O is
    redirected over Bluetooth to a terminal on a PC (ie Hyper Term)
    It goves you have access to the Python shell with a decent
    keyboard and screen size through the terminal.

    It works, but I had to hard code my bluetooth mac address (I assume
    thats what it is called in bluetooth). The bt_discover() call
    didn't seem to find my host.

    It doesn't include xmlrpclib in the base installed python runtime,
    but just send xmlrpclib, and xmlib and away we go.

    from the console I could immediatly do xml-rpc calls
    to my favourite Zope/CMF instance over GPRS and it just worked.

    This is cool.

    Tim

    Tim Hoffman, Dec 22, 2004
  4. On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 06:52:28 +0800, Tim Hoffman <> wrote:

    > I did find a problem with it on my 7610.

    > It works, but I had to hard code my bluetooth mac address (I assume
    > thats what it is called in bluetooth). The bt_discover() call
    > didn't seem to find my host.

    How did it fail? Did it simply not show your computer in the list or
    did it hang indefinitely when connecting to it? Bluetooth discovery
    has always been problematic, but connecting to a host directly using
    the mac address has worked perfectly for months now. (I am one of the
    developers in this project.)

    Try doing the discovery again. Sometimes the phone just magically
    discovers hosts it did not see ten seconds earlier. The discovery will
    also fail if there already is a Bluetooth connection open, for example
    the PC Suite can leave connections open that mess up the
    discovery. You can force all connections to be terminated by turning
    bluetooth on and off from the phone menu.

    > from the console I could immediatly do xml-rpc calls
    > to my favourite Zope/CMF instance over GPRS and it just worked.
    >
    > This is cool.

    Yes, very :)

    Jukka Laurila, Dec 23, 2004
  5. Ville Vainio

    Tim Hoffman Guest

    HI

    Jukka Laurila wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 06:52:28 +0800, Tim Hoffman <> wrote:
    >

    >>I did find a problem with it on my 7610.

    >>It works, but I had to hard code my bluetooth mac address (I assume
    >>thats what it is called in bluetooth). The bt_discover() call
    >>didn't seem to find my host.

    > How did it fail? Did it simply not show your computer in the list or
    > did it hang indefinitely when connecting to it? Bluetooth discovery
    > has always been problematic, but connecting to a host directly using
    > the mac address has worked perfectly for months now. (I am one of the
    > developers in this project.)

    It always came back saying there where no bluetooth devices around.
    Interestingly if I then ran ControlFreak (bluetooth remote control for
    Winamp) it would connect to the HyperTerm that was still running.

    So I am at a bit of a loss as to why the bt_discover call never found
    the host

    Also normal sync type operations where working fine (as in install apps
    etc)

    I will try again on the discover but connecting to the host directly is
    enough for me at the moment.

    Tim

    Tim Hoffman, Dec 23, 2004