    Execuse my English.

    Thushanthan.

    , Dec 26, 2007

  2. gordyt Guest

    gordyt, Dec 26, 2007

  3. wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have to develop a web based enterprise application for my final year
    > project. Since i am interested in open source, i searched the net.
    > Almost 90% of them were PHP and MySQL. Cant we use python for that ? I
    > tried several sites, but there is not enough tutorial for beginners
    > [mod_python, PSP etc]. I couldnt find any detailed book, not even a
    > single book :( All the python books are covering only CGI part)
    >
    > Any suggestions? Any recommended book?
    >
    > Execuse my English.
    >
    > Thushanthan.

    Well, there are multiple different Python web frameworks, including
    Django, Pylons, TurboGears and Zope (also the barebones CherryPy).
    They're all much more high-level than PHP, including things like
    database APIs and templating languages. Most/all of them have books or
    at least good documentation and guides.

    If you're doing something really simple (one web page, minimal DB usage,
    whatever), you can use bare WSGI, perhaps like libraries like Beaker for
    sessions.

    Google all of the terms I used. There should be information available. :p

    Matt Nordhoff, Dec 26, 2007
  4. a écrit :
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have to develop a web based enterprise application

    "enterprise" ???

    > for my final year
    > project. Since i am interested in open source, i searched the net.
    > Almost 90% of them were PHP and MySQL. Cant we use python for that ?

    Well, I don't know if *you* can, but as far as I'm concerned, that what
    I do whenever possible !-)

    > tried several sites, but there is not enough tutorial for beginners
    > [mod_python, PSP etc]. I couldnt find any detailed book, not even a
    > single book :( All the python books are covering only CGI part)

    Knowing CGI is certainly not the worst starting point wrt/ web
    development - I whish more PHP 'programmers' had the minimal
    understanding of the HTTP protocol required to write a CGI script (and
    any serious web app FWIW).

    > Any suggestions?

    Django or Pylons are probably what you're looking for. The first one is
    the more mature, stable, and well documented, and the second one the
    most promising IMHO. If you're new to both web development and Python,
    I'd actually recommand Django.

    > Any recommended book?

    The HTTP 1.1 RFC !-)

    > Execuse my English.

    Seems fine to me - at least understandable, and that's the important
    point, isn't it ?-)

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Dec 26, 2007
  5. Steve Lianoglou, Dec 27, 2007
  6. on Tue, 25 Dec 2007 20:42:03 -0800 (PST), <> wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have to develop a web based enterprise application for my final year
    > project. Since i am interested in open source, i searched the net.
    > Almost 90% of them were PHP and MySQL. Cant we use python for that ? I
    > tried several sites, but there is not enough tutorial for beginners
    > [mod_python, PSP etc]. I couldnt find any detailed book, not even a
    > single book :( All the python books are covering only CGI part)
    >
    > Any suggestions? Any recommended book?
    >
    > Execuse my English.
    >
    > Thushanthan.

    You can also take a look to `webpy` and `cherrypy`. These where not yet
    mentioned.

    --
    David Van Mosselbeen
    http://dvm.zapto.org:8080/

    David Van Mosselbeen, Dec 31, 2007
  7. Tamer Higazi Guest

    http://www.djangobook.com/

    if you love to read that book online. Otherwise, if you don't have DSL,
    just mirror the site for offline usage with "wget"

    Tamer

    Tamer Higazi, Feb 24, 2008
  8. Hi All--
    Django is slick. I just yesterday picked up the book and started
    poking away. Downloaded, Installed and running in about ten minutes
    (I have several servers I can play with). Today I have several
    working pages.

    Use mod_python if you can.

    <Django-mind-Beginner's-mind>-ly y'rs,
    Ivan

    On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Tamer Higazi <> wrote:
    > http://www.djangobook.com/
    >
    > if you love to read that book online. Otherwise, if you don't have DSL,
    > just mirror the site for offline usage with "wget"
    >
    > Tamer
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > I have to develop a web based enterprise application for my final year
    > > project. Since i am interested in open source, i searched the net.
    > > Almost 90% of them were PHP and MySQL. Cant we use python for that ? I
    > > tried several sites, but there is not enough tutorial for beginners
    > > [mod_python, PSP etc]. I couldnt find any detailed book, not even a
    > > single book :( All the python books are covering only CGI part)
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? Any recommended book?
    > >
    > > Execuse my English.
    > >
    > > Thushanthan.

    Ivan Van Laningham
    God N Locomotive Works
    http://www.pauahtun.org/
    http://www.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/laningham/laningham.html
    Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
    Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

    Ivan Van Laningham, Feb 24, 2008
  9. Berco Beute Guest

    > Use mod_python if you can.

    Although mod_python is fine, I had more success using fastcgi with
    Django (you can run Django as a fastcgi process). It was less
    troublesome to set up and the chances your hosting provider supports
    it are bigger.

    2B

    Berco Beute, Feb 25, 2008
  10. Hi All--
    I didn't have any trouble setting up mod_python & Django. However, I
    am my own hosting provider. That may make a difference. ;-)

    I can install fastcgi if it's a big win.

    Metta,
    Ivan

    Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

    Ivan Van Laningham, Feb 25, 2008
  11. Tim Chase Guest

    > I didn't have any trouble setting up mod_python & Django. However, I
    > am my own hosting provider. That may make a difference. ;-)
    >
    > I can install fastcgi if it's a big win.

    From my understanding, the python-code under mod_python runs as
    whatever Apaches runs as ("www", "wwwdata", whatever). If this
    doesn't matter in your deployment, then there's little reason to
    do anything other than stick with what you know.

    The advantage of fastcgi (again, from my feeble understanding) is
    that the fastcgi process (your python code) runs as a designated
    user. This allows hosting companies to have your code run as
    you, Pat's code run as Pat, etc. This makes separation of privs
    a little easier so Pat's code doesn't screw up things your
    environment, and your code doesn't screw up Pat's. Nothing
    should really stop you from running your code as "www"/"wwwdata"
    which would simulate the mod_python environment somewhat.

    It's up to you to decide the magnitude of this "big" win :)

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Feb 25, 2008