    gentoo's forums. They are a lot of experienced people answering
    questions without any problem and it goes very well

    Thanks
    Jonas Melian, May 17, 2005

  2. Jonas Melian

    Markus Weihs Guest

    Hi!

    > I'm going to say a suggestion, why don't you create a forum like the one
    > of Ruby (http://www.rubyforums.com/)? for the novices this is a great
    > help, better than a mail list
    >
    > It's also worth noting that rubyforums.com has nearly no posts (six
    > total) because it takes very just a short time working.
    >
    > I know that you have python-list, it's both an email and a usenet list.
    > But I think that a forum is great for the learning. The test is in
    > gentoo's forums. They are a lot of experienced people answering
    > questions without any problem and it goes very well

    If you speak German, there is a forum at www.python-forum.de .
    There is also an english one at http://python-forum.org/py/index.php,
    but as you can see, there's not much traffic :-/

    Regards, Markus
    Markus Weihs, May 17, 2005

  3. On 2005-05-17, Jonas Melian <> wrote:

    > I'm going to say a suggestion, why don't you create a forum
    > like the one of Ruby (http://www.rubyforums.com/)? for the
    > novices this is a great help, better than a mail list

    Says you. I prever a newsgroup. Mailing lists are in second
    place and web forums a very distant third. I really don't see
    how pointing Mozilla or Thunderbird at a newsgroup isn't any
    harder than pointing it at a web forum.

    > I know that you have python-list, it's both an email and a usenet list.

    And both are far better than web forums.

    > But I think that a forum is great for the learning. The test
    > is in gentoo's forums. They are a lot of experienced people
    > answering questions without any problem and it goes very well

    Except for the torture of using a web forum's UI.

    [In case you can't tell, I hate web forums. I've never seen a
    single one with a suable UI.]

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. My vaseline is
    at RUNNING...
    Grant Edwards, May 17, 2005
  4. Jonas Melian

    Dave Brueck Guest

    Grant Edwards wrote:
    > On 2005-05-17, Jonas Melian <> wrote:
    >>I'm going to say a suggestion, why don't you create a forum
    >>like the one of Ruby (http://www.rubyforums.com/)? for the
    >>novices this is a great help, better than a mail list

    [snip]
    >>But I think that a forum is great for the learning. The test
    >>is in gentoo's forums. They are a lot of experienced people
    >>answering questions without any problem and it goes very well

    > Except for the torture of using a web forum's UI.
    >
    > [In case you can't tell, I hate web forums. I've never seen a
    > single one with a suable UI.]

    Amen! Generally they are an abomination.

    To make matters worse, many forums that become popular are saddled with so many
    advertisements that moving from one message to another becomes a... grueling...
    lesson... in... patience.

    -Dave
    Dave Brueck, May 17, 2005
  5. Dave Brueck wrote:
    > Grant Edwards wrote:
    >

    >> Except for the torture of using a web forum's UI.
    >>
    >> [In case you can't tell, I hate web forums. I've never seen a
    >> single one with a suable UI.]

    > Amen! Generally they are an abomination.
    >
    > To make matters worse, many forums that become popular are saddled with
    > so many advertisements that moving from one message to another becomes
    > a... grueling... lesson... in... patience.

    It may seem snobish, but my main gripe with most of the web-forums I've
    seen is the people using them. There are far too many content-free "Me
    too" posts, which are horribly difficult to filter out (due to the poor
    UI). It's partly the web-forum's fault - the really bad ones have posts
    with some cute/animated smiley as the sole content. It's rare that
    usenet has such posts, because a colon and a right paren in text doesn't
    seem nearly as interesting as some saccarine singing, dancing, yellow blob.
    Rocco Moretti, May 17, 2005
  6. Jonas Melian

    Paul McNett Guest

    Rocco Moretti wrote:
    > Dave Brueck wrote:
    >
    >>Grant Edwards wrote:
    >>
    >>>[In case you can't tell, I hate web forums. I've never seen a
    >>>single one with a suable UI.]

    >>Amen! Generally they are an abomination.

    > It may seem snobish, but my main gripe with most of the web-forums I've
    > seen is the people using them. There are far too many content-free "Me
    > too" posts, which are horribly difficult to filter out (due to the poor
    > UI). It's partly the web-forum's fault - the really bad ones have posts
    > with some cute/animated smiley as the sole content. It's rare that
    > usenet has such posts, because a colon and a right paren in text doesn't
    > seem nearly as interesting as some saccarine singing, dancing, yellow blob.

    I think that web forums are great in one case: supporting nontechnical
    end users on the use and configuration of your product, in a
    free/community-based support arrangement. The forum needs a moderator to
    trim and condense as appropriate, and the help desk needs to monitor the
    forum and interface with the developers as necessary.

    The benefits versus newsgroup/listserv in this case basically boil down to:
    + users already know how to use their web browser, but -let's be honest-
    it's a stretch to get them to subscribe to a list - you'd have to hold
    their hand through every step of the setup making it less costly to just
    offer free phone support for their issue.

    But that's it. Otherwise, web forums just waste everyone's time.

    So for a language like Python, where you presuppose that most people
    using the product are technically savvy enough to operate a newsreader
    or mail client, a web forum approach just isn't going to gain much
    popularity. Web forums for people that know how to use their computers
    are just a horrible waste of time, but perhaps more importantly people
    no longer have control over their environment and are forced to navigate
    a particular UI instead of being able to put together their own
    preferred approach.

    --
    pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com
    Paul McNett, May 17, 2005
  7. Jonas Melian

    John J. Lee Guest

    Jonas Melian <> writes:

    > I'm going to say a suggestion, why don't you create a forum like the one
    > of Ruby (http://www.rubyforums.com/)? for the novices this is a great
    > help, better than a mail list

    [...]

    Web forums do reach a different audience. Maybe python.org should
    have a 'web forum' link to gmane.org's web interface for c.l.py?

    John
    John J. Lee, May 17, 2005
  8. John> Web forums do reach a different audience. Maybe python.org should
    John> have a 'web forum' link to gmane.org's web interface for c.l.py?

    Any idea if the gmane folks could be convinced to move
    gmane.comp.python.general to gmane.comp.lang.python so it's with the rest of
    the programming languages?

    Skip
    Skip Montanaro, May 17, 2005
  9. Jonas Melian

    Guest

    Jonas Melian wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm going to say a suggestion, why don't you create a forum like the

    one
    > of Ruby (http://www.rubyforums.com/)? for the novices this is a great
    > help, better than a mail list

    What's wrong with this web forum ;-)

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python?hl=en

    c.l.python is a mailing list, usenet group and a web forum. How you
    access it is up to you. There are also other nntp-to-web sites out
    there, and you can even make your own if you don't like them.
    , May 17, 2005
  10. Jonas Melian

    John J Lee Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005, Skip Montanaro wrote:

    > John> Web forums do reach a different audience. Maybe python.org should
    > John> have a 'web forum' link to gmane.org's web interface for c.l.py?
    >
    > Any idea if the gmane folks could be convinced to move
    > gmane.comp.python.general to gmane.comp.lang.python so it's with the rest of
    > the programming languages?

    No idea...

    John
    John J Lee, May 17, 2005
  11. Jonas Melian

    Jonas Melian Guest

    Dave Brueck wrote:
    > Amen! Generally they are an abomination.
    >
    > To make matters worse, many forums that become popular are saddled with so many
    > advertisements that moving from one message to another becomes a... grueling...
    > lesson... in... patience.
    >
    > -Dave

    Then that hasn't happened in gentoo forums. In addition they are very
    usuables

    http://forums.gentoo.org/
    Jonas Melian, May 18, 2005
  12. Jonas Melian

    Jonas Melian Guest

    Markus Weihs wrote:

    > If you speak German, there is a forum at www.python-forum.de .
    > There is also an english one at http://python-forum.org/py/index.php,
    > but as you can see, there's not much traffic :-/

    There are few messages because they are not known. I believe that they
    would be due to add in the resources of python.org
    Jonas Melian, May 18, 2005
  13. Jonas Melian

    Jonas Melian Guest

    wrote:

    > What's wrong with this web forum ;-)
    >
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python?hl=en
    >
    > c.l.python is a mailing list, usenet group and a web forum. How you
    > access it is up to you. There are also other nntp-to-web sites out
    > there, and you can even make your own if you don't like them.

    I personally try of not using google. One has become too powerful.
    Jonas Melian, May 18, 2005

  14. >> If you speak German, there is a forum at www.python-forum.de . There
    >> is also an english one at http://python-forum.org/py/index.php, but
    >> as you can see, there's not much traffic :-/

    Jonas> There are few messages because they are not known. I believe that
    Jonas> they would be due to add in the resources of python.org

    I think the general thought is that python.org should link to proven
    resources as opposed to endorse unproven ones. "Endorse" is probably too
    strong a word, but the resources to maintain the website are limited, so we
    have to be judicious about what we add. Even in the Python world, not every
    scrap of information is useful.

    In any case, I've updated the /community/lists.html page on the python.org
    website with this information. I also located a French language forum
    mentioned in the docs and added the German language forum to the German
    section of the doc/NonEnglish.html page.

    (Is "forums" okay as a plural of "forum" or should I have used "fora"?)

    Skip
    Skip Montanaro, May 18, 2005
  15. Jonas Melian

    Robert Kern Guest

    Skip Montanaro wrote:

    > (Is "forums" okay as a plural of "forum" or should I have used "fora"?)

    dict.org says _forums_. I used _fora_, but I'm silly.

    --
    Robert Kern

    -- Richard Harter
    Robert Kern, May 18, 2005
  16. Hi All--

    Robert Kern wrote:

    > Skip Montanaro wrote:
    >
    > > (Is "forums" okay as a plural of "forum" or should I have used "fora"?)

    > dict.org says _forums_. I used _fora_, but I'm silly.

    It also says "appendixes" and "indexes" are OK. Yahoos.

    Metta,
    Ivan
    Ivan Van Laningham
    God N Locomotive Works
    http://www.andi-holmes.com/
    Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
    Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours
    Ivan Van Laningham, May 18, 2005
  17. Jonas Melian

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
    > Robert Kern wrote:
    >>dict.org says _forums_. I used _fora_, but I'm silly.
    >>

    > It also says "appendixes" and "indexes" are OK. Yahoos.

    Should that be "Yaha"?
    Peter Hansen, May 19, 2005
  18. Hi All--

    Peter Hansen wrote:

    > Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
    > > Robert Kern wrote:
    > >>dict.org says _forums_. I used _fora_, but I'm silly.
    > >>

    > > It also says "appendixes" and "indexes" are OK. Yahoos.

    > Should that be "Yaha"?

    <g> Nope. I appreciate the sentiment, but "Yahoo" is neither Latin nor
    Greek. Instead, it was invented by Jonathan Swift for _Gulliver's
    Travels_, published in 1726; since it is a made-up English word, it
    follows the rules of English.

    Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours
    Ivan Van Laningham, May 19, 2005
  19. Jonas Melian

    Steve Holden Guest

    Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
    > Hi All--
    >
    > Peter Hansen wrote:
    >
    >>Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

    >>>It also says "appendixes" and "indexes" are OK. Yahoos.

    >>Should that be "Yaha"?
    >>

    > <g> Nope. I appreciate the sentiment, but "Yahoo" is neither Latin nor
    > Greek. Instead, it was invented by Jonathan Swift for _Gulliver's
    > Travels_, published in 1726; since it is a made-up English word, it
    > follows the rules of English.

    Yeeha, possibly?

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, May 19, 2005