Python forum

Jonas Melian

Hi,

I'm going to say a suggestion, why don't you create a forum like the one
of Ruby (http://www.rubyforums.com/)? for the novices this is a great
help, better than a mail list

It's also worth noting that rubyforums.com has nearly no posts (six
total) because it takes very just a short time working.

I know that you have python-list, it's both an email and a usenet list.
But I think that a forum is great for the learning. The test is in
gentoo's forums. They are a lot of experienced people answering
questions without any problem and it goes very well

Thanks

Markus Weihs

Hi!
I'm going to say a suggestion, why don't you create a forum like the one
of Ruby (http://www.rubyforums.com/)? for the novices this is a great
help, better than a mail list

It's also worth noting that rubyforums.com has nearly no posts (six
total) because it takes very just a short time working.

I know that you have python-list, it's both an email and a usenet list.
But I think that a forum is great for the learning. The test is in
gentoo's forums. They are a lot of experienced people answering
questions without any problem and it goes very well

If you speak German, there is a forum at www.python-forum.de .
There is also an english one at http://python-forum.org/py/index.php,
but as you can see, there's not much traffic :-/

Regards, Markus

Grant Edwards

I'm going to say a suggestion, why don't you create a forum
like the one of Ruby (http://www.rubyforums.com/)? for the
novices this is a great help, better than a mail list

Says you. I prever a newsgroup. Mailing lists are in second
place and web forums a very distant third. I really don't see
how pointing Mozilla or Thunderbird at a newsgroup isn't any
harder than pointing it at a web forum.
I know that you have python-list, it's both an email and a usenet list.

And both are far better than web forums.
But I think that a forum is great for the learning. The test
is in gentoo's forums. They are a lot of experienced people
answering questions without any problem and it goes very well

Except for the torture of using a web forum's UI.

[In case you can't tell, I hate web forums. I've never seen a
single one with a suable UI.]

Dave Brueck

Grant said:
I'm going to say a suggestion, why don't you create a forum
like the one of Ruby (http://www.rubyforums.com/)? for the
novices this is a great help, better than a mail list [snip]
But I think that a forum is great for the learning. The test
is in gentoo's forums. They are a lot of experienced people
answering questions without any problem and it goes very well

Except for the torture of using a web forum's UI.

[In case you can't tell, I hate web forums. I've never seen a
single one with a suable UI.]

Amen! Generally they are an abomination.

To make matters worse, many forums that become popular are saddled with so many
advertisements that moving from one message to another becomes a... grueling...
lesson... in... patience.

-Dave

Rocco Moretti

Dave said:
Grant said:
Except for the torture of using a web forum's UI.

[In case you can't tell, I hate web forums. I've never seen a
single one with a suable UI.]

Amen! Generally they are an abomination.

To make matters worse, many forums that become popular are saddled with
so many advertisements that moving from one message to another becomes
a... grueling... lesson... in... patience.

It may seem snobish, but my main gripe with most of the web-forums I've
seen is the people using them. There are far too many content-free "Me
too" posts, which are horribly difficult to filter out (due to the poor
UI). It's partly the web-forum's fault - the really bad ones have posts
with some cute/animated smiley as the sole content. It's rare that
usenet has such posts, because a colon and a right paren in text doesn't
seem nearly as interesting as some saccarine singing, dancing, yellow blob.

Paul McNett

Rocco said:
Dave said:
Grant said:
[In case you can't tell, I hate web forums. I've never seen a
single one with a suable UI.]

Amen! Generally they are an abomination.

It may seem snobish, but my main gripe with most of the web-forums I've
seen is the people using them. There are far too many content-free "Me
too" posts, which are horribly difficult to filter out (due to the poor
UI). It's partly the web-forum's fault - the really bad ones have posts
with some cute/animated smiley as the sole content. It's rare that
usenet has such posts, because a colon and a right paren in text doesn't
seem nearly as interesting as some saccarine singing, dancing, yellow blob.

I think that web forums are great in one case: supporting nontechnical
end users on the use and configuration of your product, in a
free/community-based support arrangement. The forum needs a moderator to
trim and condense as appropriate, and the help desk needs to monitor the
forum and interface with the developers as necessary.

The benefits versus newsgroup/listserv in this case basically boil down to:
+ users already know how to use their web browser, but -let's be honest-
it's a stretch to get them to subscribe to a list - you'd have to hold
their hand through every step of the setup making it less costly to just
offer free phone support for their issue.

But that's it. Otherwise, web forums just waste everyone's time.

So for a language like Python, where you presuppose that most people
using the product are technically savvy enough to operate a newsreader
or mail client, a web forum approach just isn't going to gain much
popularity. Web forums for people that know how to use their computers
are just a horrible waste of time, but perhaps more importantly people
no longer have control over their environment and are forced to navigate
a particular UI instead of being able to put together their own
preferred approach.

John J. Lee

Jonas Melian said:
I'm going to say a suggestion, why don't you create a forum like the one
of Ruby (http://www.rubyforums.com/)? for the novices this is a great
help, better than a mail list
[...]

Web forums do reach a different audience. Maybe python.org should
have a 'web forum' link to gmane.org's web interface for c.l.py?

John

Skip Montanaro

John> Web forums do reach a different audience. Maybe python.org should
John> have a 'web forum' link to gmane.org's web interface for c.l.py?

Any idea if the gmane folks could be convinced to move
gmane.comp.python.general to gmane.comp.lang.python so it's with the rest of
the programming languages?

Skip

madsurfer2000

Jonas said:
Hi,

I'm going to say a suggestion, why don't you create a forum like the one
of Ruby (http://www.rubyforums.com/)? for the novices this is a great
help, better than a mail list

What's wrong with this web forum ;-)

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python?hl=en

c.l.python is a mailing list, usenet group and a web forum. How you
access it is up to you. There are also other nntp-to-web sites out
there, and you can even make your own if you don't like them.

John J Lee

John> Web forums do reach a different audience. Maybe python.org should
John> have a 'web forum' link to gmane.org's web interface for c.l.py?

Any idea if the gmane folks could be convinced to move
gmane.comp.python.general to gmane.comp.lang.python so it's with the rest of
the programming languages?

No idea...

John

Jonas Melian

Dave said:
> Amen! Generally they are an abomination.

To make matters worse, many forums that become popular are saddled with so many
advertisements that moving from one message to another becomes a... grueling...
lesson... in... patience.

-Dave

Then that hasn't happened in gentoo forums. In addition they are very
usuables

http://forums.gentoo.org/

Skip Montanaro

Jonas> There are few messages because they are not known. I believe that
Jonas> they would be due to add in the resources of python.org

I think the general thought is that python.org should link to proven
resources as opposed to endorse unproven ones. "Endorse" is probably too
strong a word, but the resources to maintain the website are limited, so we
have to be judicious about what we add. Even in the Python world, not every
scrap of information is useful.

In any case, I've updated the /community/lists.html page on the python.org
website with this information. I also located a French language forum
mentioned in the docs and added the German language forum to the German
section of the doc/NonEnglish.html page.

(Is "forums" okay as a plural of "forum" or should I have used "fora"?)

Skip

Robert Kern

Skip said:
(Is "forums" okay as a plural of "forum" or should I have used "fora"?)

dict.org says _forums_. I used _fora_, but I'm silly.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Ivan Van Laningham

Hi All--

Peter said:
Should that be "Yaha"?

<g> Nope. I appreciate the sentiment, but "Yahoo" is neither Latin nor
Greek. Instead, it was invented by Jonathan Swift for _Gulliver's
Travels_, published in 1726; since it is a made-up English word, it
follows the rules of English.

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

Steve Holden

Ivan said:
Hi All--

<g> Nope. I appreciate the sentiment, but "Yahoo" is neither Latin nor
Greek. Instead, it was invented by Jonathan Swift for _Gulliver's
Travels_, published in 1726; since it is a made-up English word, it
follows the rules of English.
Yeeha, possibly?

regards
Steve