Python Goldmine has been updated: http://preciseinfo.org/Convert/index_Convert_Python.html

tanix

Python Goldmine collection contains the extensive collection of articles
going back several years. It includes thousands of code
examples and expert discussions on all major topics.

The information is organized by relevant topics, covered
by the corresponding chapters.

The information was filtered with sophisticated filters and vast
majority of artilces with little relevance have been filtered out.

If you have any specific requests for some new chapters to be added
and it is of interest to others, please post your requests on this
thread.

If anyone feels he has above average level of competence, or can
reccommend someone who posts on this group, you may request to be
included in the expert chapters.

The Python Goldmine is at:

http://preciseinfo.org/Convert/index_Convert_Python.html

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript, PHP,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.

Terry Reedy

[...]

This site pops up spam windowns. One was blocked, one managed to bypass
the popup blocker. Tnis is not friendly behaviour.

Some categories have 100s of entries. Better, I think, to use a search
engine such as Google with more specific search terms and a snippet of
context for each result.

tjr

Steve Holden

Terry said:
This site pops up spam windowns. One was blocked, one managed to bypass
the popup blocker. Tnis is not friendly behaviour.

Some categories have 100s of entries. Better, I think, to use a search
engine such as Google with more specific search terms and a snippet of
context for each result.
Because I habitually run the NoScript extension to Firefox the popups
didn't appear, but there didn't seem to be any original content on this
site. Google continues to be your friend.

regards
Steve

Steve Holden

Steve Holden wrote:
[...]
Because I habitually run the NoScript extension to Firefox the popups
didn't appear, but there didn't seem to be any original content on this
site. Google continues to be your friend.
And dammit, why didn't I think to strip the links out instead of
creating yet one more link to it? Sorry ...

regards
Steve

tanix

This site pops up spam windowns. One was blocked, one managed to bypass
the popup blocker. Tnis is not friendly behaviour.

I am sorry. But this is a known issue.
This is one of counter vendors doing these popups.
They were contacted about this but they refuse to deal with it.
These popups are totally inappropriate.
These counters will be removed with the next major site update.
Some categories have 100s of entries. Better, I think, to use a search
engine such as Google with more specific search terms and a snippet of
context for each result.

Well, I can not tell you what is better for you.
You have to decide on your own.
What I can tell you is this: when you do Google search, you are not
going to get the most appropriate results. Because their filtering
is orders of magnitude less precise.

There is currenly work going on to do internal site search that
will further increase precision.

But even as it stands right now, you are getting the code examples
on related issues with > 90% certainty of articles to be on topic.

Beyond that, do as you wish.

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript, PHP,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.

tanix

Because I habitually run the NoScript extension to Firefox the popups
didn't appear, but there didn't seem to be any original content on this
site.

The site contains the selected articles from this group,
filtered with high precision filters.
Google continues to be your friend.
regards
Steve

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript, PHP,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.

tanix

Steve Holden wrote:
[...]
Because I habitually run the NoScript extension to Firefox the popups
didn't appear, but there didn't seem to be any original content on this
site. Google continues to be your friend.
And dammit, why didn't I think to strip the links out instead of
creating yet one more link to it? Sorry ...

There isn't a single ad on any of these sites beyond those nasty
popups displayed by 3rd party counter vendor.

Sorry, but this is the way it is right now.
The simpliest thing is just to close the popup window without even
looking at it because it is pretty much guaranteed to be totally
off the wall add no one would be interested in seeing anyway.
regards
Steve

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript, PHP,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.

tanix

I am sorry. But this is a known issue.
This is one of counter vendors doing these popups.
They were contacted about this but they refuse to deal with it.
These popups are totally inappropriate.
These counters will be removed with the next major site update.
Good.

Well, I can not tell you what is better for you.
You have to decide on your own.
What I can tell you is this: when you do Google search, you are not
going to get the most appropriate results. Because their filtering
is orders of magnitude less precise.

What you have told me is that you are woefully ignorant of how good
Google results are.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to tell you, but I studied Google architecture in sufficient
detail to say what I am saying.

Read Standford paper on Google architecture.
For example, search 'pyparsing'. First 3 hits are

You need to understand that the main principle of Google search
engine is backlinks. That will automatically put the sites with
the largest number of links pointing to them to the top of the
SERPS.

What does it mean, you need to think about it.
But I know what it means exactly.

One of the side effects is: you get the smappiest stuff in top
positions on SERPS and closer to the top, the more google spamy ads
you are going to see.

That is just the way their "economics" work.

But I am not interested in arguing about how good or bad Google is.
It is what it is, and if you find it does what you need, there is
no point of arguing about it one way or the other.
http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/
http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/examples
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyparsing/
etc.

Just what one would want to get info about and possibly download
PyParsing. Compare that to a linear scan of 100s of titles under your
general category 'parsing'.

Well, when you review a chapter index, you are basically into learning
all sorts of things that you may not be able to find easily in all
sorts of places. It is not meant to replace the search.

All it says is if you are looking at code example chapters, you
are guaranteed to see the code examples on the topic of that chapter
with > 90% of a chance. Such a thing is not possible with search
engine in principle.

And that is ALL that is guarantted. To be on topic of the chapter
with very high degree of precision and appropriateness.
How GOOD are the articles, depend on YOU, writers. :--}
A site search bar would improve its usefulness a lot.

Yep. Especially if you have time to deal with these kinds of issues
while there is quite a list of priority items you have to deal with.

If any of you are interested in getting the search done, we can
discuss it. The email address is on the home page.
Terry Jan Reedy

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript, PHP,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.

tanix

Good
Site search has been fully implemented.

You can search the entire Python collection or a single chapter
related to specific context to find what you are looking for.

Bad
We are currently out of sync with google.
So, if you do a google search you might see a different article
than what google shows.
[...]

All collections are fully searchable down to specific chapter.