Python: GUI Builder

Anand K Rayudu

Hi All,

I am new to python & want to build some GUI dialogs.
Can some one please suggest some document reference.

I am hoping that standard python install will have some GUI development
modules & GUI builder in built.
I have python 2.3.3.

Can some one please suggest

Thanks in advance.

Anand

nobody

You could try BOA Constructor, it is Delphi like. It needs wxPython
(wxWindows python binding) installed first. The Google will spit the correct
URLs.

Myles

Hello Anand,
I am new to python & want to build some GUI dialogs.
Can some one please suggest some document reference.

On Windows you can use standard resource DLLs, but you
have to have some experience with Windows programming,
have another tool for building the resource DLL, and be
happy with working on the one platform only.

WxPython has Boa, but you have to be willing to deal with
the multiple message IDs of that style of programming.
http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/

Another possibility is wxGlade.
http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/

I am biased towards PythonCard, the only one I've used
seriously.
PythonCard, a layer on top of wxPython, has a nice simple
GUI builder (the Resource Editor), is very easy to use,
and produces cross-platform code.
http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/
Be sure to read the tutorials in the documentation section.

If you have Visual Basic, you can use its GUI builder and
translate it into PythonCard using vb2py.
http://vb2py.sourceforge.net/

SpecPython, (now incorporated into SpecTix), lets you use
the SpecTcl GUI builder and translate it into Python for
use with Tkinter.
http://www.geocities.com/eric_brunel/SpecPython.en.html
http://starship.python.net/crew/mike/Tide/Spectix/Spectix.html

PAGE is a GUI builder also using the Tix widgets:
http://page.sourceforge.net/

PythonWorks Pro (commercial) comes with a GUI builder for
Tkinter.
http://www.pythonware.com/products/works/articles/gui_toolkits.htm

Komodo Pro (commercial) comes with a GUI builder (Tkinter, I think)
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/Komodo/komodo-doc-guibuilder.html

Tkinter coding (without a GUI builder) can be simplified by such tools
as tVector. http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/tVector/

Some of the Qt toolkits have GUI builders (commercial), but
there is a potential licensing issue for Windows programs.
http://www.thekompany.com/products/blackadder/
http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/designer.html
I am hoping that standard python install will have some GUI development
modules & GUI builder in built.

No. Python is fairly GUI-agnostic - although Tkinter is included with
the standard installer on some platforms, a GUI builder is not.
However, as evinced by the list above, it plays nicely with a number
GUI toolkits and GUI builders.

Regards, Myles.