Python GUI toolkit

default

what i meant was, i tried gtk, didnt like it, the main reason was that it
had a very bad gui appeal for me, i did try my hand at wx , and i would have
stuck with it, but then i saw the qt4 screenshot and couple of examples of
its code and i liked it, so i was wondering, if anyone would tell me that i
should stick to wx or go forward with qt4.

also, is qt4 apps better looking in both win/linux than wx apps, coz the
main thing i m looking for is visual appeal of the gui.

Grant Edwards

what i meant was, i tried gtk, didnt like it, the main reason was that it
had a very bad gui appeal for me, i did try my hand at wx , and i would have
stuck with it,

Wx generally uses GTK on Unix, so if you don't like GTK, then
Wx isn't really an option. Wx uses native widgets on Win32, so
it'll look just as ugly as a normal Win32 app does.
but then i saw the qt4 screenshot and couple of examples of
its code and i liked it, so i was wondering, if anyone would
tell me that i should stick to wx or go forward with qt4.

Stick with Wx. It uses GTK, and GTK is "native" on my system.
also, is qt4 apps better looking in both win/linux than wx
apps, coz the main thing i m looking for is visual appeal of
the gui.

If what you care about is your opinion of the looks, what are
you asking us for?

Jorge Godoy

what i meant was, i tried gtk, didnt like it, the main reason was that it
had a very bad gui appeal for me, i did try my hand at wx , and i would
have stuck with it, but then i saw the qt4 screenshot and couple of
examples of its code and i liked it, so i was wondering, if anyone would
tell me that i should stick to wx or go forward with qt4.

also, is qt4 apps better looking in both win/linux than wx apps, coz the
main thing i m looking for is visual appeal of the gui.

Qt is a the best choice, IMHO. Nice support, free if you write free
software, very nice API, nice tools to develop with and the best looking
widget system for *nix and mobile phones.

I also don't like GTK that much but unfortunately we have to live with some
apps written with it.

Christian Heimes

James said:
Just a side question!

Does QT support Events from multiple threads without any special calls!
Example when i use WX i have to call wx.CallAfter()

Yes, you can send signal across threads with some precaution.

Christian

Christian Heimes

Jorge said:
Qt is a the best choice, IMHO. Nice support, free if you write free
software, very nice API, nice tools to develop with and the best looking
widget system for *nix and mobile phones.

PyQt4 forces you to either release your software under GPL or buy a
license. Qt3 and Qt4 allow many more open source licenses but PyQt's
license module doesn't.

Christian

PS: I also prefer Qt4 over wx and GTK. :)

Guilherme Polo

2008/2/3 said:
PyQt4 forces you to either release your software under GPL or buy a
license. Qt3 and Qt4 allow many more open source licenses but PyQt's
license module doesn't.

PyQt follows same licensing as Qt, so what licenses does Qt4 supports
besides GPL and Qt commercial license ?

miller.paul.w

also, is qt4 apps better looking in both win/linux than wx apps, coz the
main thing i m looking for is visual appeal of the gui.

Well, well... this wasn't in your original post. I had assumed ease
of programming and cross-platform-ness were the only requirements. If
"looks good" is the main criterion, then I don't think Tkinter makes
the top of many peoples' lists. It isn't that Tkinter can't be *made*
to look good, it's just that it takes quite a bit of work, and if
you're going to put that much effort into a GUI, you're probably
better off with qt, gtk, or wx.

Guilherme Polo

2008/2/3 said:
Thank you, I wasn't aware of that.

After rereading PyQt license model, it clearly states that in order to
use the free version you need to use it in compatibility with GPL.

For me being compatible with GPL, also means you could any of the
GPL-compatible licenses.