Python GUIs and custom controls

Joe P. Cool

So far I have a little experience with Tkinter and wxPython. I wonder
which of the numerous Python GUI kits would be the best choice for a
multi platform application that makes heavy use of custom controls, 3D
views and the like? Thanks in advance for your hints and advice.

Joe

Mike Driscoll

So far I have a little experience with Tkinter and wxPython. I wonder
which of the numerous Python GUI kits would be the best choice for a
multi platform application that makes heavy use of custom controls, 3D
views and the like? Thanks in advance for your hints and advice.

Joe

I can't speak for Tkinter, but wxPython has lots of widgets to choose
from and a number of developers that create custom widgets. They have
a page on their wiki devoted to custom widgets here:

http://wiki.wxpython.org/CreatingCustomControls

And here's another article:

http://www.zetcode.com/wxpython/customwidgets/

I find their mailing list to have extremely knowledgeable users that
are happy to help newbs too. Hopefully someone with Tkinter experience
can tell you about it robustness or lack thereof.

Mike

Chuckk Hubbard

I likewise don't know enough to compare between toolkits, but another
one to check out might be pygame. If nothing else, it is meant to be
fast and to handle 3D views.

-Chuckk

castironpi

I likewise don't know enough to compare between toolkits, but another
one to check out might be pygame.  If nothing else, it is meant to be
fast and to handle 3D views.

-Chuckk

--http://www.badmuthahubbard.com

I am not holding that programming is profitable (or even a good
experience) without a community to talk to. If a computer is a
generic man-borne tool, true currency (time) will answer to it as a
tool.

Do note that money tracks experience. If you're not having a good
experience, back up a step, and have fun with your hands. Thus*, I
think sound and OS-band controls would be the funnest to start long
threads about. Just names have to run: fly or float.

*Money floats off its gold standard. What sounds float, and does
everyone use the Microsoft-103 Dell-brand 15" laptop? What, not
everyone?

I have been having problems with feedback-buffers in sound files.
Here's a particularly pleasing grid in intervals, and even progressing
chromaticly.

prog= [
( 1, 5, 8 ),
( 1, 5, 10 ),
( 1, 6, 10 ),
( 3, 6, 10 ),
( 3, 6, 12 ),
( 3, 8, 12 ),
( 5, 8, 13 )
]

for i, key in enumerate( 'C2 C#2 D2 D#2 E2 F2 F#2 G2 G#2 A2 A#2 B2
C3'.split( ) ):
snd.play( )

How fast can the drives act to the mouse, and what keys do you want on
your organ?

Att: cough4.wav

Diez B. Roggisch

Joe said:
So far I have a little experience with Tkinter and wxPython. I wonder
which of the numerous Python GUI kits would be the best choice for a
multi platform application that makes heavy use of custom controls, 3D
views and the like? Thanks in advance for your hints and advice.

If you can work with the license (GPL), I suggest Qt4

Diez