    taken too lightly. Python rules. applications like ZOPE, Mailman and
    BitTorrent are proving that. Let's step it up a notch any how we can.

    ---BitShadow

    Michael Scarlett, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Michael Scarlett

    Byron Guest

    Have an icon that you would like to share?

    I agree, Python is an excellent language. I just wish that more
    companies would give it a more serious look.

    Probably, the main source of resistance is the fact that the makers of
    Python do not provide a free, RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool
    that allows users to quickly and easily build GUIs visually, such as
    Java's Netbeans (www.netbeans.org) or Microsoft's Visual Basic. Most
    programmers like an easy-to-use RAD that allows users to quickly and
    easily develop GUI applications. Unfortunately, until Python is able to
    strongly complete in this area, most companies will continue to believe
    that Python is mostly a cute, somewhat enabled scripting tool.

    Byron
    ---

    Byron, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Michael Scarlett

    Java's Netbeans (www.netbeans.org). Most programmers like an

    Byron, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Michael Scarlett

    Byron Guest

    Have an icon that you would like to share?

    I agree, Python is an excellent language. I just wish that more
    companies would give it a more serious look.

    Probably, the main source of resistance is the fact that the makers of
    Python do not provide a free, RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool
    that allows users to quickly and easily build GUIs visually, such as
    Java's Netbeans (www.netbeans.org). Most programmers like an
    easy-to-use RAD that allows users to quickly and easily develop GUI
    applications. Unfortunately, until Python is able to strongly compete
    in this area, most companies will continue to only believe that Python
    is mostly a cute scripting tool.

    Byron
    ---

    Byron, Jul 22, 2004
  5. Michael Scarlett wrote:

    >I was just thinking that we should get a new icon for Python. Its such
    >an amzing effective language, and I know it sounds silly, but I can't
    >help but think that one of the reasons it hasn't surpassed JAVA or at
    >least taken more seriouly than it is now - is because of the dorky
    >looking .py icon.

    I agree, on the Windows side anyway. I always thought the Windows py
    icon was a piece of crap, but the one for linux is pretty sweet.

    Gabriel Cooper, Jul 22, 2004
  6. Michael Scarlett

    Guest

    Michael Scarlett wrote:
    > I was just thinking that we should get a new icon for Python. Its such
    > an amzing effective language, and I know it sounds silly, but I can't
    > help but think that one of the reasons it hasn't surpassed JAVA or at
    > least taken more seriouly than it is now - is because of the dorky
    > looking .py icon.
    > We need a icon that reflects python. Robust, flexible and Effective.
    > Something that says "we get the job done right and the code is tight".
    > Eat that!!

    Note sure are you looking for a slogan or an icon.
    Anyway I thought these were cool.

    http://packages.gentoo.org/images/dev-python.png
    http://www.cafeshops.com/python_swearby

    Pádraig.

    , Jul 22, 2004
  7. Michael Scarlett

    leegtech Guest

    Byron wrote:

    > Probably, the main source of resistance is the fact that the makers of
    > Python do not provide a free, RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool
    > that allows users to quickly and easily build GUIs visually, such as
    > Java's Netbeans (www.netbeans.org). Most programmers like an
    > easy-to-use RAD that allows users to quickly and easily develop GUI
    > applications. Unfortunately, until Python is able to strongly compete
    > in this area, most companies will continue to only believe that Python
    > is mostly a cute scripting tool.

    I'm just now learning VB.NET for work. I really, REALLY wanted to learn
    Python, either at work or home, but I just don't have the time. I am
    grudgingly beginning to like VB.NET, not for the language, but for the
    frigging RAD IDE. If there were a Python equivalent available, even if it
    only did a third of what Visual Studio.NET can do, I'd be learning Python
    on my own instead.

    My .02.

    Lee

    leegtech, Jul 25, 2004
  8. leegtech <> wrote in message news:<YyRMc.21619$>...
    > Byron wrote:
    >
    > > Probably, the main source of resistance is the fact that the makers of
    > > Python do not provide a free, RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool
    > > that allows users to quickly and easily build GUIs visually, such as
    > > Java's Netbeans (www.netbeans.org). Most programmers like an
    > > easy-to-use RAD that allows users to quickly and easily develop GUI
    > > applications. Unfortunately, until Python is able to strongly compete
    > > in this area, most companies will continue to only believe that Python
    > > is mostly a cute scripting tool.

    > I'm just now learning VB.NET for work. I really, REALLY wanted to learn
    > Python, either at work or home, but I just don't have the time. I am
    > grudgingly beginning to like VB.NET, not for the language, but for the
    > frigging RAD IDE. If there were a Python equivalent available, even if it
    > only did a third of what Visual Studio.NET can do, I'd be learning Python
    > on my own instead.
    >
    > My .02.
    >
    > Lee

    there actually is, but that's off this thread's topic, do a search on
    google and you'll find one. I think because it is m$$ you'll need to
    pay for it though.

    Michael Scarlett, Jul 26, 2004