Python .ico

Michael Scarlett

I was just thinking that we should get a new icon for Python. Its such
an amzing effective language, and I know it sounds silly, but I can't
help but think that one of the reasons it hasn't surpassed JAVA or at
least taken more seriouly than it is now - is because of the dorky
looking .py icon.
We need a icon that reflects python. Robust, flexible and Effective.
Something that says "we get the job done right and the code is tight".
Eat that!!

Anybody else think GVR and the PSF should put that in the next
release? I know it sounds silly. but I'm kinda tired of Python being
taken too lightly. Python rules. applications like ZOPE, Mailman and
BitTorrent are proving that. Let's step it up a notch any how we can.

---BitShadow

Byron

Have an icon that you would like to share?

I agree, Python is an excellent language. I just wish that more
companies would give it a more serious look.

Probably, the main source of resistance is the fact that the makers of
Python do not provide a free, RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool
that allows users to quickly and easily build GUIs visually, such as
Java's Netbeans (www.netbeans.org) or Microsoft's Visual Basic. Most
programmers like an easy-to-use RAD that allows users to quickly and
easily develop GUI applications. Unfortunately, until Python is able to
strongly complete in this area, most companies will continue to believe
that Python is mostly a cute, somewhat enabled scripting tool.

Byron

Java's Netbeans (www.netbeans.org). Most programmers like an
easy-to-use RAD that allows users to quickly and easily develop GUI
applications. Unfortunately, until Python is able to strongly complete
in this area, most companies will continue to believe that Python is
mostly a cute, somewhat enabled scripting tool.

Byron

Byron

Have an icon that you would like to share?

I agree, Python is an excellent language. I just wish that more
companies would give it a more serious look.

Probably, the main source of resistance is the fact that the makers of
Python do not provide a free, RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool
that allows users to quickly and easily build GUIs visually, such as
Java's Netbeans (www.netbeans.org). Most programmers like an
easy-to-use RAD that allows users to quickly and easily develop GUI
applications. Unfortunately, until Python is able to strongly compete
in this area, most companies will continue to only believe that Python
is mostly a cute scripting tool.

Byron

Gabriel Cooper

Michael said:
I was just thinking that we should get a new icon for Python. Its such
an amzing effective language, and I know it sounds silly, but I can't
help but think that one of the reasons it hasn't surpassed JAVA or at
least taken more seriouly than it is now - is because of the dorky
looking .py icon.
I agree, on the Windows side anyway. I always thought the Windows py
icon was a piece of crap, but the one for linux is pretty sweet.

Michael said:
I was just thinking that we should get a new icon for Python. Its such
an amzing effective language, and I know it sounds silly, but I can't
help but think that one of the reasons it hasn't surpassed JAVA or at
least taken more seriouly than it is now - is because of the dorky
looking .py icon.
We need a icon that reflects python. Robust, flexible and Effective.
Something that says "we get the job done right and the code is tight".
Eat that!!

Note sure are you looking for a slogan or an icon.
Anyway I thought these were cool.

http://packages.gentoo.org/images/dev-python.png
http://www.cafeshops.com/python_swearby

Pádraig.

leegtech

Byron said:
Probably, the main source of resistance is the fact that the makers of
Python do not provide a free, RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool
that allows users to quickly and easily build GUIs visually, such as
Java's Netbeans (www.netbeans.org). Most programmers like an
easy-to-use RAD that allows users to quickly and easily develop GUI
applications. Unfortunately, until Python is able to strongly compete
in this area, most companies will continue to only believe that Python
is mostly a cute scripting tool.

I'm just now learning VB.NET for work. I really, REALLY wanted to learn
Python, either at work or home, but I just don't have the time. I am
grudgingly beginning to like VB.NET, not for the language, but for the
frigging RAD IDE. If there were a Python equivalent available, even if it
only did a third of what Visual Studio.NET can do, I'd be learning Python
on my own instead.

My .02.

Lee

Michael Scarlett

leegtech said:
I'm just now learning VB.NET for work. I really, REALLY wanted to learn
Python, either at work or home, but I just don't have the time. I am
grudgingly beginning to like VB.NET, not for the language, but for the
frigging RAD IDE. If there were a Python equivalent available, even if it
only did a third of what Visual Studio.NET can do, I'd be learning Python
on my own instead.

My .02.

Lee

there actually is, but that's off this thread's topic, do a search on
google and you'll find one. I think because it is m$$ you'll need to
pay for it though.