    Something with integrated syntax editor, browser of doc...
    Thanks,

    JG

    Jean Guillaume Pyraksos, Jan 19, 2010

  2. Jean Guillaume Pyraksos

    Phlip Guest

    On Jan 18, 11:09 pm, Jean Guillaume Pyraksos <>
    wrote:

    > What's the best one to use with beginners ?
    > Something with integrated syntax editor, browser of doc...
    > Thanks,

    Before this message goes stale, there's TextMate (which I have too
    much experience with to consider redeemable in any way)...

    ....and there's Komodo Edit.

    The problems I have with that are...

    - the code browsing breaks when the wind blows, and you must Find in
    Files
    (my library, Django, is symlinked below my project, so FiF can see
    it)

    - the editor refuses to let me run a script - such as a test script
    -
    each time I hit F5. For whatever reason - poor keyboard remapping,
    or lack of a plug-in for Django - I must use Ctrl+R to run a batch
    file, just to test. Testing should be ONE (1) keystroke.

    - FiF sees my .git folder, and everything in it. WTF??

    - after searching or anything, I must click the editor with the mouse
    to resume editing. <Escape> should move the focus out of the
    frame to the editor, and of course any activity that takes you
    out of the editor should dump you back into it by default

    Other than that, it has all the standard edito

    My problem with Mac in general is the keystrokes are always so broken
    they force me to switch to a mouse. Nobody seems to usability test
    these things and see how long you can type & manipulate windows
    without

    Phlip, Jan 19, 2010

  3. Jean Guillaume Pyraksos

    Tim Arnold Guest

    "Jean Guillaume Pyraksos" <> wrote in message
    > What's the best one to use with beginners ?
    > Something with integrated syntax editor, browser of doc...
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JG

    eclipse + pydev works well for me.
    --Tim Arnold

    Tim Arnold, Jan 19, 2010
  4. Jean Guillaume Pyraksos <> wrote:

    >What's the best one to use with beginners ?
    >Something with integrated syntax editor, browser of doc...
    >Thanks,

    I started with 'EasyEclipse for Python', but soon changed to Eclipse
    with PyDev, MercurialEclipse and AnyEditTools plugins installed manually.

    I can recommend the combination Eclipse/PyDev.

    Best regards,

    Günther

    Günther Dietrich, Jan 19, 2010