    Which would you recommend?

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

    Alec Taylor

    Alec Taylor, Apr 16, 2011

  2. Alec Taylor

    rusi Guest

    On Apr 16, 8:20 am, Alec Taylor <> wrote:
    > Good Afternoon,
    >
    > I'm looking for an IDE which offers syntax-highlighting,
    > code-completion, tabs, an embedded interpreter and which is portable
    > (for running from USB on Windows).
    >
    > Here's a mockup of the app I'm looking for:http://i52.tinypic.com/2uojswz..png

    As Ben suggested you can use emacs (Dunno if vi will give an embedded
    interpreter)
    but be prepared to have to work a bit -- it does not just work out of
    the box.
    In particular emacs will default to using a different python mode
    (python.el) than the one that python programmers seem prefer
    https://launchpad.net/python-mode/

    You may also want to look at ipython

    BTW how did you make that mockup?

    rusi, Apr 16, 2011

  3. On Apr 15, 11:20 pm, Alec Taylor <> wrote:
    > Good Afternoon,
    >
    > I'm looking for an IDE which offers syntax-highlighting,
    > code-completion, tabs, an embedded interpreter and which is portable
    > (for running from USB on Windows).
    >
    > Here's a mockup of the app I'm looking for:http://i52.tinypic.com/2uojswz..png
    >
    > Which would you recommend?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    >
    > Alec Taylor

    You seem to have drawn PSPad (http://www.pspad.com/). With one
    preferences change and a little bit of window rearranging, you can
    make PSPad do what you want.

    TerrorBite Lion, Apr 16, 2011
  4. Alec Taylor

    John Bokma Guest

    Ben Finney <> writes:

    > Alec Taylor <> writes:
    >
    >> I'm looking for an IDE which offers syntax-highlighting,
    >> code-completion, tabs, an embedded interpreter and which is portable
    >> (for running from USB on Windows).

    > Either of Emacs <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/> or Vim
    > <URL:http://www.vim.org/> are excellent general-purpose editors that
    > have strong features for programmers of any popular language or text
    > format.

    I second Emacs or vim. I currently use Emacs the most, but I think it's
    good to learn both.

    --
    John Bokma j3b

    Blog: http://johnbokma.com/ Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
    Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/

    John Bokma, Apr 16, 2011
  5. Alec Taylor

    Alec Taylor Guest

    Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
    interpreter AND tabs... a few of the editors (such as Editra) have
    really nice interfaces, however are missing the embedded
    interpreter... emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
    selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).

    Please continue your recommendations.

    Thanks,

    Alec Taylor

    Alec Taylor, Apr 16, 2011
  6. Alec Taylor

    harrismh777 Guest

    Alec Taylor wrote:
    > Please continue your recommendations.

    IDLE?

    (works for me)

    3.2 is working much better for me this week... :)

    (thanks)

    kind regards,
    m harris

    harrismh777, Apr 16, 2011
  7. Alec Taylor

    CM Guest

    On Apr 16, 1:43 am, Alec Taylor <> wrote:
    > Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
    > interpreter AND tabs... a few of the editors (such as Editra) have
    > really nice interfaces, however are missing the embedded
    > interpreter... emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
    > selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).

    Boa Constructor has syntax-highlighting, code-completion, tabs, line
    numbers, and an embedded interpreter. It also does a lot of other
    IDEish stuff and it's a GUI builder, too. I've never tried to run it
    from a USB, though, and the interpreter (the "shell") is in a separate
    tab, not on the bottom as you've drawn it.

    You might want to just look at this page for other ideas:
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

    CM, Apr 16, 2011
  8. Alec Taylor

    jmfauth Guest

    jmfauth, Apr 16, 2011
  9. Alec Taylor

    Alec Taylor Guest

    IDLE loses syntax highlighting annoyingly often, and interpreter isn't embedded.

    Boa Constructor gave errors on installation (keys).

    Komodo might be good, however isn't free nor can't be run from USB :(

    Alec Taylor, Apr 16, 2011
  10. On Saturday 16 April 2011 15:55:59 harrismh777 wrote:
    > Alec Taylor wrote:
    > > Please continue your recommendations.

    > IDLE?
    >
    > (works for me)
    >
    > 3.2 is working much better for me this week... :)
    >
    > (thanks)
    >
    > kind regards,
    > m harris

    IDLE is ok and it comes by default with Python. Eric4 for
    Python 2.x and Eric5 for Python 3.x is just great! Why is Eric
    "great" and IDLE just "ok"? Eric puts a space by default after
    a ',' and close bracket for evey open bracket typed. Less
    typing, much along the Python effects on source code.

    OldAl.
    --
    Algis
    http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis.pdf

    Algis Kabaila, Apr 16, 2011
  11. Alec Taylor

    Daniel Kluev Guest

    On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Alec Taylor <> wrote:
    > Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
    > interpreter AND tabs... a few of the editors (such as Editra) have
    > really nice interfaces, however are missing the embedded
    > interpreter... emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
    > selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).
    >
    > Please continue your recommendations.

    WingIDE has all that and much more, if you are willing to consider
    non-free IDE.
    Its multi-threading debugger definitely worth the cost of Pro version for me.

    --
    With best regards,
    Daniel Kluev

    Daniel Kluev, Apr 16, 2011
  12. Alec Taylor

    jacek2v Guest

    On Apr 16, 11:18 am, Daniel Kluev <> wrote:
    > > Please continue your recommendations.

    > WingIDE has all that and much more, if you are willing to consider
    > non-free IDE.
    > Its multi-threading debugger definitely worth the cost of Pro version forme.

    I confirm :)

    jacek2v, Apr 16, 2011
  13. Alec Taylor

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Sat, 2011-04-16, Alec Taylor wrote:
    > On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM, John Bokma <> wrote:
    >> Ben Finney <> writes:

    >>> Either of Emacs <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/> or Vim
    >>> <URL:http://www.vim.org/> are excellent general-purpose editors that
    >>> have strong features for programmers of any popular language or text
    >>> format.

    >> I second Emacs or vim. I currently use Emacs the most, but I think it's
    >> good to learn both.

    > Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
    > interpreter AND tabs...
    > emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
    > selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).

    Does it *have* to be tabs? Why? Both Emacs and Vim can have multiple
    files open, and have various powerful ways to navigate between them.

    If you cannot stand non-tabbed interfaces, you probably can't stand
    other non-Windows-like features of these two, like their menu systems.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

    Jorgen Grahn, Apr 16, 2011
  14. Alec Taylor

    Tim Chase Guest

    On 04/16/2011 02:17 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
    > Emacs can run Python in a buffer, and has “tabbar-mode†to
    > display a row of tabs
    >
    > Likely the same features are available in Vim, by I've never
    > used Vim for lots of Python coding.

    Vim since v7 has offered tabs, though I personally stick mostly
    to split-panes ("windows" in vim parlance).

    :help tab-page

    The GUI version (gvim) offers mouse support; the console version
    supports the mouse as well, but may be a bit more fiddly as
    mouse/console interactions often are.

    :help mouse-using

    As for running a python shell within Vim, the idea of an embedded
    pseudo-tty (so that means an embedded console, python shell, or
    just running any other console program) has been pretty
    resolutely rejected by the maintainers. I think there's an
    unofficial patch[1] to add the support, but most folks just bring
    up a second console/terminal and run things there. For me, it's
    either using "screen" or just another xterm/rxvt window.

    :help shell-window

    That said, Vim does have Python scripting capabilities as well,
    so you can control vim with Python code

    :help python

    and Vim can evaluate python if it was built as such (check the
    output of ":version" for "+python"). Additionally, you can
    always run your Vim script and pull the output into a buffer
    somewhere:

    :r !my_script.py
    :r !python my_script.py

    (form dependent on whether your script is marked executable)

    To the OP, try both Vim & Emacs and see which fits your head
    better. They're both great editors and will provide a lifetime
    of returns on the time invested learning them. Vim fits me
    better; Emacs seems to better fit several of the other folks on
    the list who responded.

    -tkc

    [1]
    http://www.wana.at/vimshell/

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2782752/how-can-i-open-a-shell-inside-a-vim-window

    Tim Chase, Apr 16, 2011
  15. 2011/4/16 Alec Taylor <>:
    > Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
    > interpreter AND tabs... a few of the editors (such as Editra) have
    > really nice interfaces, however are missing the embedded
    > interpreter... emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
    > selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).
    >
    > Please continue your recommendations.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alec Taylor

    Hi,
    I don't use these tools regularly, but judging from your virtual
    "screenshot" and featureset, e.g.
    UliPad
    http://code.google.com/p/ulipad/

    or SPE
    http://pythonide.blogspot.com/

    could fit the bill.
    Of course, none of these can be compared with the already suggested
    heavier tools in terms of featureset or maturity, but in case you
    don't want to learn that programs just now, you can try these simpler
    ones to see, if they offer, what you need.

    regards,
    vbr

    Vlastimil Brom, Apr 16, 2011
  16. Alec Taylor

    John Bokma Guest

    Alec Taylor <> writes:

    > Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
    > interpreter

    Emacs has. Well, it's not embedded as *in* Emacs, but I don't think
    there are many editors that have that besides the ones written in Python.

    > AND tabs...

    Emacs has no tabs per se (although it wouldn't surprise me if there is
    an extension that does this) but can show a list of buffers. Also, you
    can switch very easily between buffers. I used to work a lot with
    Textpad /because/ of the tabs, but don't miss them with Emacs. Another
    feature I love is the ability to /split/ a window in 2 parts to have 2
    views on the same buffer. And being able to open another window with
    another view on the same buffer.

    > a few of the editors (such as Editra) have
    > really nice interfaces, however are missing the embedded
    > interpreter... emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
    > selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).

    You can select text just fine with a mouse in Emacs.

    Anyway, checked for tabs.
    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TabBarMode

    The remark at the bottom states:
    Aquamacs tabbar work with standard emacs.Just check it out. - Emmett

    What I love so much about Emacs is that each feature I've wanted so far
    is either part of it, or can be installed. Sometimes I have to change
    how I think about the feature a bit, but so far, so good.

    John Bokma, Apr 16, 2011
  17. Alec Taylor

    John Bokma Guest

    Jorgen Grahn <> writes:

    > If you cannot stand non-tabbed interfaces, you probably can't stand
    > other non-Windows-like features of these two, like their menu systems.

    Emacs just has a menu system. Although I rarely use it :). One of the
    things one learns after some time with either vim or Emacs is that using
    the mouse delays things.

    John Bokma, Apr 16, 2011
  18. Alec Taylor

    flebber Guest

    On Apr 16, 3:43 pm, Alec Taylor <> wrote:
    > Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
    > interpreter AND tabs... a few of the editors (such as Editra) have
    > really nice interfaces, however are missing the embedded
    > interpreter... emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
    > selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).
    >
    > Please continue your recommendations.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alec Taylor
    >

    > On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM, John Bokma <> wrote:
    > > Ben Finney <> writes:

    > >> Either of Emacs <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/> or Vim
    > >> <URL:http://www.vim.org/> are excellent general-purpose editors that
    > >> have strong features for programmers of any popular language or text
    > >> format.

    > > I second Emacs or vim. I currently use Emacs the most, but I think it's
    > > good to learn both.

    > > --
    > > John Bokma                                                               j3b

    > > Blog:http://johnbokma.com/   Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j..bokma
    > >    Freelance Perl & Python Development:http://castleamber.com/
    > > --

    Editra via shelf has an imbedded interpreter, editra is also working
    towards a new python tools plugin that will allow you to change
    interpreter jython/python2.7/python3.2 etc.

    flebber, Apr 16, 2011
  19. Alec Taylor

    flebber Guest

    On Apr 16, 11:07 pm, John Bokma <> wrote:
    > Jorgen Grahn <> writes:
    > > If you cannot stand non-tabbed interfaces, you probably can't stand
    > > other non-Windows-like features of these two, like their menu systems.

    > Emacs just has a menu system. Although I rarely use it :). One of the
    > things one learns after some time with either vim or Emacs is that using
    > the mouse delays things.
    >
    > --
    > John Bokma                                                               j3b
    >
    > Blog:http://johnbokma.com/   Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
    >     Freelance Perl & Python Development:http://castleamber.com/

    Also Dreampie is a greater interactive shell.

    http://dreampie.sourceforge.net/

    Features automatic completion of attributes and file names.
    Automatically displays function arguments and documentation.
    Keeps your recent results in the result history, for later user.
    Can automatically fold long outputs, so you can concentrate on what's
    important.
    Lets you save the history of the session as an HTML file, for future
    reference. You can then load the history file into DreamPie, and
    quickly redo previous commands.
    Automatically adds parentheses and optionally quotes when you press
    space after functions and methods. For example, execfile fn
    automatically turns into execfile("fn").
    Supports interactive plotting with matplotlib. (You have to set
    "interactive: True" in the matplotlibrc file for this to work.)
    Supports Python 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, Jython 2.5, IronPython 2.6 and Python
    3.1.
    Works on Windows, Linux and Mac. (Mac support requires MacPorts.)
    Extremely fast and responsive.
    Free software licensed under GPL version 3.

    flebber, Apr 16, 2011
  20. On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 08:04 -0500, John Bokma wrote:
    > Alec Taylor <> writes:
    > > Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
    > > interpreter

    > Emacs has. Well, it's not embedded as *in* Emacs, but I don't think
    > there are many editors that have that besides the ones written in Python.

    gedit provides a Python interpreter/console 'embedded' in the GUI
    (provided the plugin is enabled).

    Adam Tauno Williams, Apr 16, 2011