Python IDE/text-editor

Discussion in 'Python' started by Colin J. Williams, Apr 17, 2011.

  1. On 15-Apr-11 23:20 PM, Alec Taylor wrote:
    > Good Afternoon,
    >
    > I'm looking for an IDE which offers syntax-highlighting,
    > code-completion, tabs, an embedded interpreter and which is portable
    > (for running from USB on Windows).
    >
    > Here's a mockup of the app I'm looking for: http://i52.tinypic.com
    >
    > Which would you recommend?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    >
    > Alec Taylor

    Here is an extract from the PyScripter Help:

    PyScripter - a Python IDE

    PyScripter originally started as a lightweight IDE designed to to serve
    the purpose of providing a strong scripting solution for Delphi
    applications, complementing the excellent Python for Delphi (P4D)
    components. However, and with the encouragement of the P4D creator
    Morgan Martinez and a few early users, it has now evolved into a
    full-featured stand-alone Python IDE. It is built in Delphi using P4D
    and the SynEdit component but is extensible using Python scripts.
    Currently, it is only available for Microsoft Windows operating systems
    and features a modern user-interface. Being built in a compiled
    language is rather snappier than some of the other IDEs and provides
    an extensive blend of features that make it a productive Python
    development environment.

    Why yet another Python IDE?

    There are many Python Integrated Development Environments around. And
    quite a few good ones, for example PythonWin, Boa (a Delphi clone built
    for and with wxPython), SPE and Eric3, not to mention IDLE which is
    included in the standard Python distribution. So it is reasonable to
    ask why bother to develop yet another Python IDE. The short answer is
    for the fun of it! The long answer relates to the ambition to create a
    Python IDE that is competitive with commercial Windows-based IDEs
    available for other languages.

    It has the functionality that you seek.

    Colin W.

    Colin J. Williams, Apr 17, 2011