Python IDE (was: PythonWin troubleshooting)

chuck

Apparently not too many people use or are interested in PythonWin. I'm
giving up on it. It used to work pretty good.

I'm lucky that I have found PyScripter (http://www.mmm-experts.com/) a
python IDE for the windows platform which is much more stable and has
more features that PythonWin. If you are doing Python development on
Windows I'd recommend taking a look at it.

I'm also evaluating Wing IDE. I may have another post with comments on
it for anyone who might be interested.

Martin Miller

You might want to also to consider the Komodo IDE from ActiveState (the
same company that produces ActivePython and hosts the ASPN Cookbook).
This isn't an endorsement -- I have no experience with it -- but its
feature set looks good [see http://activestate.com/Products/Komodo].

If someone with actual experience using Komodo with Python is
listening, I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of it or
other alternatives (I plan on taking a look at PyScripter and any
others I hear about).

Best,
-Martin

==========

limodou

15 Dec 2005 18:03:27 -0800 said:
You might want to also to consider the Komodo IDE from ActiveState (the
same company that produces ActivePython and hosts the ASPN Cookbook).
This isn't an endorsement -- I have no experience with it -- but its
feature set looks good [see http://activestate.com/Products/Komodo].

If someone with actual experience using Komodo with Python is
listening, I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of it or
other alternatives (I plan on taking a look at PyScripter and any
others I hear about).

Try NewEdit for a test.

http://wiki.woodpecker.org.cn/moin/NewEdit

Scott David Daniels

Martin said:
... If someone with actual experience using Komodo with Python is
listening, I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of it....
I got a copy of Komodo some time ago, and I love it. I wanted a
fairly reliable "debugging" platform for a fairly large server
I was building (the business crumbled nastily), and I wanted to
step through the code to see where we were having problems. I have
personally not had huge success using Idle for that (although it
doesn't really seem problematic for smaller stuff), and I have been
_very_ happy with Komodo. Getting the updates w/o extra charge was
a bonus. I was happy with the deal on the original version, so
these further improvements just make my deal feel better.

I don't regularly use Komodo, but when I do want it, it is invaluable.
My only affiliation with ActiveState is as a customer.

--Scott David Daniels
(e-mail address removed)

Tim Arnold

chuck said:
Apparently not too many people use or are interested in PythonWin. I'm
giving up on it. It used to work pretty good.

I'm lucky that I have found PyScripter (http://www.mmm-experts.com/) a
python IDE for the windows platform which is much more stable and has
more features that PythonWin. If you are doing Python development on
Windows I'd recommend taking a look at it.

I'm also evaluating Wing IDE. I may have another post with comments on
it for anyone who might be interested.

Here's a plug for SPE, since I haven't heard anyone extolling its virtues.
I use it every day and love it.
--Tim

SPE - Stani's Python Editor

Thanks Tim,

SPE is written in Python and uses wxPython for its user interface and
is being actively developed.

In case you want to know more:
SPE is a python IDE with auto-indentation, auto completion, call tips,
syntax coloring, UML viewer, syntax highlighting, class explorer,
source index, auto todo list, sticky notes, integrated pycrust shell,
python file browser, recent file browser, drag&drop, context help, ...
Special is its ability to run interactively inside blender with a 3d
object browser. Spe integrates with XRCed (gui designer) and ships with
wxGlade (gui designer), PyChecker (source code doctor), Kiki (regular
expression console) and WinPdb (remote, multi-threaded debugger).

Homepage: http://pythonide.stani.be
Screenshots: http://pythonide.stani.be/screenshots

Stani

Brendan

I use Komodo now, and love it. It has all the features you'd expect:
code completion, object browsing, folding, docstring previews etc. Of
course it's the only full-featured, native and stable Python IDE
currently available for the mac (SPE is close), so my choice is
limited.

Brendan

Trent Mick

[chuck wrote]
What is Komodo written in?

Komodo is based on the Mozilla framework, so in many ways it is similar
to Firefox and Thunderbird. Komodo also includes PyXPCOM -- Python
bindings to Mozilla's XPCOM (cross-platform component object model)
system for componentizing parts of the framework -- so that we can
develop core Komodo logic in Python. As with any Mozilla-based app, the
UI is written in XUL (XML-based UI Language) and JavaScript. Where it
makes sense Komodo includes bits written in Perl and Tcl (also have some
PHP extension C code): for code browsing and debugging. So, Komodo is
written in: XML, JavaScript, C++, Python, CSS, C, Perl, and Tcl.

Cheers,
Trent