    Windows I'd recommend taking a look at it.

    I'm also evaluating Wing IDE. I may have another post with comments on
    it for anyone who might be interested.

    chuck, Dec 16, 2005

  2. You might want to also to consider the Komodo IDE from ActiveState (the
    same company that produces ActivePython and hosts the ASPN Cookbook).
    This isn't an endorsement -- I have no experience with it -- but its
    feature set looks good [see http://activestate.com/Products/Komodo].

    If someone with actual experience using Komodo with Python is
    listening, I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of it or
    other alternatives (I plan on taking a look at PyScripter and any
    others I hear about).

    Best,
    -Martin

    ==========

    Martin Miller, Dec 16, 2005

  3. chuck

    limodou Guest

    15 Dec 2005 18:03:27 -0800, Martin Miller <>:
    > You might want to also to consider the Komodo IDE from ActiveState (the
    > same company that produces ActivePython and hosts the ASPN Cookbook).
    > This isn't an endorsement -- I have no experience with it -- but its
    > feature set looks good [see http://activestate.com/Products/Komodo].
    >
    > If someone with actual experience using Komodo with Python is
    > listening, I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of it or
    > other alternatives (I plan on taking a look at PyScripter and any
    > others I hear about).

    Try NewEdit for a test.

    http://wiki.woodpecker.org.cn/moin/NewEdit

    --
    I like python!
    My Blog: http://www.donews.net/limodou

    limodou, Dec 16, 2005
  4. Re: Python IDE

    Martin Miller wrote:
    > ... If someone with actual experience using Komodo with Python is
    > listening, I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of it....

    I got a copy of Komodo some time ago, and I love it. I wanted a
    fairly reliable "debugging" platform for a fairly large server
    I was building (the business crumbled nastily), and I wanted to
    step through the code to see where we were having problems. I have
    personally not had huge success using Idle for that (although it
    doesn't really seem problematic for smaller stuff), and I have been
    _very_ happy with Komodo. Getting the updates w/o extra charge was
    a bonus. I was happy with the deal on the original version, so
    these further improvements just make my deal feel better.

    I don't regularly use Komodo, but when I do want it, it is invaluable.
    My only affiliation with ActiveState is as a customer.

    --Scott David Daniels

    Scott David Daniels, Dec 16, 2005
  5. chuck

    Tim Arnold Guest

    "chuck" <> wrote in message
    > Apparently not too many people use or are interested in PythonWin. I'm
    > giving up on it. It used to work pretty good.
    >
    > I'm lucky that I have found PyScripter (http://www.mmm-experts.com/) a
    > python IDE for the windows platform which is much more stable and has
    > more features that PythonWin. If you are doing Python development on
    > Windows I'd recommend taking a look at it.
    >
    > I'm also evaluating Wing IDE. I may have another post with comments on
    > it for anyone who might be interested.

    Here's a plug for SPE, since I haven't heard anyone extolling its virtues.
    I use it every day and love it.
    --Tim

    Tim Arnold, Dec 16, 2005
  6. Thanks Tim,

    SPE is written in Python and uses wxPython for its user interface and
    is being actively developed.

    In case you want to know more:
    SPE is a python IDE with auto-indentation, auto completion, call tips,
    syntax coloring, UML viewer, syntax highlighting, class explorer,
    source index, auto todo list, sticky notes, integrated pycrust shell,
    python file browser, recent file browser, drag&drop, context help, ...
    Special is its ability to run interactively inside blender with a 3d
    object browser. Spe integrates with XRCed (gui designer) and ships with
    wxGlade (gui designer), PyChecker (source code doctor), Kiki (regular
    expression console) and WinPdb (remote, multi-threaded debugger).

    Homepage: http://pythonide.stani.be
    Screenshots: http://pythonide.stani.be/screenshots

    Stani

    SPE - Stani's Python Editor, Dec 16, 2005
  7. chuck

    Brendan Guest

    I use Komodo now, and love it. It has all the features you'd expect:
    code completion, object browsing, folding, docstring previews etc. Of
    course it's the only full-featured, native and stable Python IDE
    currently available for the mac (SPE is close), so my choice is
    limited.

    Brendan

    Brendan, Dec 17, 2005
  8. chuck

    chuck Guest

    Yeah but is it 'fast'. What is Komodo written in?

    chuck, Dec 17, 2005
  9. chuck

    Trent Mick Guest

    [chuck wrote]
    > What is Komodo written in?

    Komodo is based on the Mozilla framework, so in many ways it is similar
    to Firefox and Thunderbird. Komodo also includes PyXPCOM -- Python
    bindings to Mozilla's XPCOM (cross-platform component object model)
    system for componentizing parts of the framework -- so that we can
    develop core Komodo logic in Python. As with any Mozilla-based app, the
    UI is written in XUL (XML-based UI Language) and JavaScript. Where it
    makes sense Komodo includes bits written in Perl and Tcl (also have some
    PHP extension C code): for code browsing and debugging. So, Komodo is
    written in: XML, JavaScript, C++, Python, CSS, C, Perl, and Tcl.

    Cheers,
    Trent

    --
    Trent Mick