Python in Optimized mode with /usr/bin/env

Paulo Eduardo Neves

This is more of a shell or env question, but I believe others here have
gone through this.

I want to run an optimized python using the portable /usr/bin/env, but
the obvious ways aren't working.

#!/usr/bin/env python -O
when I run ./test.py I get:
/usr/bin/env: python -O: No such file or directory

#!/usr/bin/env PYTHONOPTIMIZE=YES python
freeezes when I run ./test.py

#!/usr/local/bin/python -O
works fine.

Any suggestion about how to do it without using an ugly hack as making
an shell script just to set the environment?

thanks in advance for any help.