Python in web development

Discussion in 'Python' started by Sarbjit singh, Mar 3, 2013.

  1. Hello All,

    I have been using Python as a scripting language for my office tasks. Now Ihave been thinking of using (and learning as well) for web development. For my tasks, I need to perform some tasks and report on the web. Now I have no experience of web development with Python. So, I want to conform first whether Python is best for web development. Python is my personal choice formy automation works and I want to extend it for web development.

    REQUIREMENT:
    I need to develop a html form which would take user input and perform some operations (generate intermediate files) and report result on web.

    >> Some guys in my organization are using Perl for this purpose and thus I could get the setup for free.But I want to learn and use Python as substitute for Perl. (PHP could also be an option. I have worked on PHP once for handling the form data.)

    So my questions are:-

    1. Can I use Python (I want to use personally :)) over PHP/Perl?

    2. If Yes, I want to know the modules that I should learn for achieving my requirement. I searched internet and found Python provides CGI, Django etc.

    I don't much about Django/CGI, please suggest which module I should learn and use.

    Thanks
    Sarbjit
    Sarbjit singh, Mar 3, 2013

  2. Sarbjit singh

    becky_lewis Guest

    1) Python is absolutely fine for web development. It's just as good, if notbetter than PHP or Perl for this sort of work (that's my opinion anyway).

    2) I've used Django quite extensively and it can certainly handle your requirements. You might want to have a look at Flask (http://flask.pocoo.org/) as it's not quite as heavy as Django so would possibly suit your needs a little better.

    becky_lewis, Mar 3, 2013

  3. On 03/03/2013 07:18 AM, Sarbjit singh wrote:
    > 1. Can I use Python (I want to use personally :)) over PHP/Perl?

    Yes of course.

    > 2. If Yes, I want to know the modules that I should learn for
    > achieving my requirement. I searched internet and found Python
    > provides CGI, Django etc.
    >
    > I don't much about Django/CGI, please suggest which module I should
    > learn and use.

    There are literally dozens of frameworks you can use. You could use
    straight CGI if you wanted, but I recommend a framework with a decent
    templating engine for HTML code generation.

    Anyway, a list--not exhaustive--of frameworks can be found here:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks

    Django is one of the most popular. Web2Py is another. Though they
    might seem overkill, it's well worth it to use them and learn them.
    They both have good documentation. So start there at their individual
    sites.
    Michael Torrie, Mar 3, 2013
  4. If Python is your personal choice, then it's the *best* for you. If
    you are literally just going to be processing an HTML form, then CGI
    is your best bet. However, if you think this functionally will grow,
    then it's worth learning a web framework.

    I would go with a micro framework. bottle.py is a perfect starting
    point. I am a huge Flask fan, but it's a little higher level. I have
    tutorials here for Flask -
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLjmbh6XPGK5pM1QJ8I1ccdGiCTHa1IC8

    Also, check out realpythonfortheweb.com for more tutorials.

    Good luck! :)

    Michael Herman, Mar 3, 2013
  5. Sarbjit singh

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    Sarbjit singh <> wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have been using Python as a scripting language for my office tasks. Now I
    > have been thinking of using (and learning as well) for web development. For
    > my tasks, I need to perform some tasks and report on the web. Now I have no
    > experience of web development with Python. So, I want to conform first
    > whether Python is best for web development. Python is my personal choice for
    > my automation works and I want to extend it for web development.
    >
    > REQUIREMENT:
    > I need to develop a html form which would take user input and perform some
    > operations (generate intermediate files) and report result on web.

    It's got a bit of a steep learning curve, but django might be what
    you're looking for. I would start with the tutorial:

    https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/intro/tutorial01/

    and eventually work your way to class-based views and forms:

    https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/topics/class-based-views/generic-ed
    iting/
    Roy Smith, Mar 3, 2013