python install on locked down windows box?

Chris Withers

Hi All,

Is there a way to install python on a locked down Windows desktop?
(ie: no compilers, no admin rights, etc)

cheers,

Chris

Steven D'Aprano

Chris said:
Hi All,

Is there a way to install python on a locked down Windows desktop?
(ie: no compilers, no admin rights, etc)

(1) Bribe or blackmail the fascist system administrator.

(2) Hack into the system with any of dozens of unpatched vulnerabilities
that will give you admin rights.

(3) Sneak into the office at 3 in the morning and replace the desktop with
an identical machine which you have admin rights to.

(4) Guess the admin password -- it's not hard, most fascist system
administrators can't remember words with more than four letters, so the
password is probably something like "passw" or, if he's being especially
cunning, "drows".

(5) "Accidentally" install Linux on the machine and use that instead.

(6) Take hostages.

(7) If all else fails, as an absolute last resort, simply run the Windows
installer as a regular, unprivileged user, after selecting the option for a
Non-Admin Install under Advanced Options first. You could also try the
ActivePython installer.

http://www.richarddooling.com/index.php/2006/03/14/python-on-xp-7-minutes-to-hello-world/
http://diveintopython.org/installing_python/windows.html

Chris Withers

Hi Steve

(7) If all else fails, as an absolute last resort, simply run the Windows
installer as a regular, unprivileged user, after selecting the option for a
Non-Admin Install under Advanced Options first.

Thanks for this, will send on to my friend in need...
Hadn't seen this before, but it's a long time since I've run the Windows
installer ;-)

Chris