Python installation breaks Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Python' started by M. Laymon, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. M. Laymon

    M. Laymon Guest

    I just installed Python 2.3.3 under Windows XP professional. After I
    did, my wife tried to access her email using Outlook Express and got
    the error messages:

    Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
    causes for
    inactivity.
    Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net',
    Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

    Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
    causes for this
    include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    inactivity.
    Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net',
    Protocol: POP3,
    Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

    (No comments about Outlook, please.I have tried to get her to use a
    different email program, but she likes Outlook.) I checked the
    settings, then recreated her account in Outlook, but nothing worked.
    My Mozilla Thunderbird email client worked fine.

    Since the only thing I had done recently was to install Python. I
    used system restore to go back to the point before installing Python.
    After I did, Outlook started working again. Has anyone else seen this
    behavior ?

    Thanks.

    M. Laymon

    M. Laymon, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Hi !

    I use P2.3.3 and O.E. without pb ?!?

    Suggest : perhaps is your wife buggued ? ;o)

    Michel Claveau

    Michel Claveau/Hamster, Jan 11, 2004

  3. M. Laymon

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "M. Laymon" <mxlaym009@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just installed Python 2.3.3 under Windows XP professional. After I
    > did, my wife tried to access her email using Outlook Express and got
    > the error messages:

    > Since the only thing I had done recently was to install Python. I
    > used system restore to go back to the point before installing Python.
    > After I did, Outlook started working again. Has anyone else seen this
    > behavior ?

    I find errors with either the mail service or Windows to be fairly common.
    Server errors tend to disappear by waiting. Windows glitches disappear
    (often) by rebooting. I recently 'fixed' a problem with OE on XPHome that
    way. Did you try reinstalling to see if coincidence was just that?

    Terry J. Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Hi.

    M. Laymon <mxlaym009@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
    > causes for
    > this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    > inactivity.
    > Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net',
    > Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

    Python is not the source of your problem. The Verizon servers had some
    problems (they should now be OK, i think): due to an obscure
    misconfiguration they managed to make flood their own servers with
    requests - an auto-DOS of sorts.

    Jere
    --
    Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for one day I may have to eat them
    - Daryl Benson

    Jere Kahanpaa, Jan 12, 2004
  5. M. Laymon

    Mike Guest

    I have the same problem. It isn't a problem with Outlook. It is with
    Python. I loose my wired AND wireless connections. Removing Python
    bringst them back to operational.
    Mike

    Mike, Dec 6, 2004
  6. M. Laymon

    JanC Guest

    Mike schreef:

    > I have the same problem. It isn't a problem with Outlook. It is with
    > Python. I loose my wired AND wireless connections. Removing Python
    > bringst them back to operational.
    > Mike

    I don't know about the wired/wireless connections above, but this:

    > M. Laymon wrote:
    >> I just installed Python 2.3.3 under Windows XP professional. After I
    >> did, my wife tried to access her email using Outlook Express and got
    >> the error messages:
    >>
    >> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
    >> causes for
    >> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    >> inactivity.
    >> Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net',
    >> Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
    >>
    >> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
    >> causes for this
    >> include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    >> inactivity.
    >> Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net',
    >> Protocol: POP3,
    >> Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
    >>
    >> (No comments about Outlook, please.I have tried to get her to use a
    >> different email program, but she likes Outlook.) I checked the
    >> settings, then recreated her account in Outlook, but nothing worked.
    >> My Mozilla Thunderbird email client worked fine.
    >>
    >> Since the only thing I had done recently was to install Python. I
    >> used system restore to go back to the point before installing Python.
    >> After I did, Outlook started working again. Has anyone else seen
    >> this behavior ?

    .... might happen if you use a Python program to filter spam in Outlook
    (e.g. SpamBayes). This error is often caused by a personal firewall
    blocking such a filter program, and after a Python upgrade, every Python
    program will be considered "unknown".

    --
    JanC

    JanC, Dec 8, 2004