Python installation breaks Outlook Express

M. Laymon

I just installed Python 2.3.3 under Windows XP professional. After I
did, my wife tried to access her email using Outlook Express and got
the error messages:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
causes for
inactivity.
Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
causes for this
include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
inactivity.
Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net',
Protocol: POP3,
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

(No comments about Outlook, please.I have tried to get her to use a
different email program, but she likes Outlook.) I checked the
settings, then recreated her account in Outlook, but nothing worked.
My Mozilla Thunderbird email client worked fine.

Since the only thing I had done recently was to install Python. I
used system restore to go back to the point before installing Python.
After I did, Outlook started working again. Has anyone else seen this
behavior ?

Thanks.

M. Laymon

Michel Claveau/Hamster

Hi !

I use P2.3.3 and O.E. without pb ?!?

Suggest : perhaps is your wife buggued ? ;o)

Michel Claveau

Terry Reedy

M. Laymon said:
I just installed Python 2.3.3 under Windows XP professional. After I
did, my wife tried to access her email using Outlook Express and got
the error messages: ....
Since the only thing I had done recently was to install Python. I
used system restore to go back to the point before installing Python.
After I did, Outlook started working again. Has anyone else seen this
behavior ?

I find errors with either the mail service or Windows to be fairly common.
Server errors tend to disappear by waiting. Windows glitches disappear
(often) by rebooting. I recently 'fixed' a problem with OE on XPHome that
way. Did you try reinstalling to see if coincidence was just that?

Terry J. Reedy

Jere Kahanpaa

Hi.

M. Laymon said:
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
causes for
inactivity.
Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Python is not the source of your problem. The Verizon servers had some
problems (they should now be OK, i think): due to an obscure
misconfiguration they managed to make flood their own servers with
requests - an auto-DOS of sorts.

Jere

Mike

I have the same problem. It isn't a problem with Outlook. It is with
Python. I loose my wired AND wireless connections. Removing Python
bringst them back to operational.
Mike

JanC

Mike schreef:
I have the same problem. It isn't a problem with Outlook. It is with
Python. I loose my wired AND wireless connections. Removing Python
bringst them back to operational.
Mike

I don't know about the wired/wireless connections above, but this:

.... might happen if you use a Python program to filter spam in Outlook
(e.g. SpamBayes). This error is often caused by a personal firewall
blocking such a filter program, and after a Python upgrade, every Python
program will be considered "unknown".