Python interpreter in Basic or a Python-2-Basic translator.

Engineer

I'm looking for a Python interpreter written in BASIC, preferably
Visual Basic, and one written in VBA would be best of all. An
alternative would be a Python-2-Basic compiler.

Unfortunately I have to develop some special purpose code in an
organization where my only development environment is Microsoft Office
Visual Basic for Applications.

The security 'droids have decided that since the MS Office Suite is a
"standard" application then software written in MS Office VBA must be
"safe." Any other development environments (such as Java, Perl,
Cygwin) are "unsafe" and can't be installed.

The result is that any software I write must be bootstrapped from MS
Office VBA.

So, if I want Python, I need a Python interpreter in VBA.

If you respond, please send a copy to (e-mail address removed)

Larry Bates

I don't think this is going to happen.

Applications that drive MS Office applications merely call COM
objects that perform the actual operations. It doesn't really
matter what language calls the COM objects, they are the same
objects all the time. If they don't like the "installation"
of the Python interpreter, use py2exe to convert your app to
an .EXE file with some supporting .DLL files and use Inno
Installer to turn it all into a single setup.exe file that
can be distributed. Then you can install on machines without
doing Python installation.

Otherwise, bite the bullet and just learn and write in VB/VBA.

-Larry Bates

Cameron Laird

.
.
.
The security 'droids have decided that since the MS Office Suite is a
"standard" application then software written in MS Office VBA must be
"safe." Any other development environments (such as Java, Perl,
.
.
.

Leif Biberg Kristensen

Cameron Laird skrev:
.
.
.
.
.
.

This is clear evidence supporting the theory that being in charge of
security and being able to think have no significant correlation.

And, yes: +1 QOTW from me, too.

Do Re Mi chel La Si Do

Hi !

VBA is at the end of his lifetime. The next MS-Office will not have VBA
(because dotNet).
You should really adopt Python.

@-salutations

Jeremy Bowers

The security 'droids have decided that since the MS Office Suite is a
"standard" application then software written in MS Office VBA must be
"safe."

"Melissa". (Google hint: "Virus".)

Given the brazen stupidity demonstrated by these decision makers in the
face of *internationally newsworthy* plain facts to the contrary,
this may be a "brush up the resume" situation. Life's short.

Good luck.

More constructively, see if you can convince your VBA installation to run
on Javascript(/Jscript) instead of Visual Basic. While it has some
annoyances next to Python, by and large it should be a much more tolerable
choice. It's not Python, but it's surprisingly close in a lot of ways.