Python interpreter in Basic or a Python-2-Basic translator.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Engineer, May 1, 2005.

  1. Engineer

    Engineer Guest

    I'm looking for a Python interpreter written in BASIC, preferably
    Visual Basic, and one written in VBA would be best of all. An
    alternative would be a Python-2-Basic compiler.

    Unfortunately I have to develop some special purpose code in an
    organization where my only development environment is Microsoft Office
    Visual Basic for Applications.

    The security 'droids have decided that since the MS Office Suite is a
    "standard" application then software written in MS Office VBA must be
    "safe." Any other development environments (such as Java, Perl,
    Cygwin) are "unsafe" and can't be installed.

    The result is that any software I write must be bootstrapped from MS
    Office VBA.

    So, if I want Python, I need a Python interpreter in VBA.

    If you respond, please send a copy to

    Engineer, May 1, 2005

  2. Engineer

    Larry Bates Guest

    I don't think this is going to happen.

    Applications that drive MS Office applications merely call COM
    objects that perform the actual operations. It doesn't really
    matter what language calls the COM objects, they are the same
    objects all the time. If they don't like the "installation"
    of the Python interpreter, use py2exe to convert your app to
    an .EXE file with some supporting .DLL files and use Inno
    Installer to turn it all into a single setup.exe file that
    can be distributed. Then you can install on machines without
    doing Python installation.

    Otherwise, bite the bullet and just learn and write in VB/VBA.

    -Larry Bates

    Larry Bates, May 1, 2005

  3. My personal candidate for QOTW (was: Python interpreter in Basic or a Python-2-Basic translator.)

    In article <>,
    Engineer <> wrote:
    .
    .
    .

    Cameron Laird, May 1, 2005
  4. Engineer

    Guest

    Re: My personal candidate for QOTW (was: Python interpreter in Basic or a Python-2-Basic translator.)

    Cameron Laird wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Engineer <> wrote:
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > >The security 'droids have decided that since the MS Office Suite is

    > >"standard" application then software written in MS Office VBA must

    be
    > >"safe." Any other development environments (such as Java, Perl,

    > .
    > .
    > .

    Obviously, this is a new usage of "safe" with which I have
    prviously been unaware.

    , May 1, 2005
  5. Re: My personal candidate for QOTW (was: Python interpreter in Basic or a Python-2-Basic translator.)

    Cameron Laird skrev:

    > In article <>,
    > Engineer <> wrote:
    > .
    > .
    > .
    >>The security 'droids have decided that since the MS Office Suite is a
    >>"standard" application then software written in MS Office VBA must be
    >>"safe." Any other development environments (such as Java, Perl,

    > .
    > .
    > .

    This is clear evidence supporting the theory that being in charge of
    security and being able to think have no significant correlation.

    And, yes: +1 QOTW from me, too.
    --
    Leif Biberg Kristensen

    Leif Biberg Kristensen, May 1, 2005
  6. Hi !

    VBA is at the end of his lifetime. The next MS-Office will not have VBA
    (because dotNet).
    You should really adopt Python.

    @-salutations
    --
    Michel Claveau

    Do Re Mi chel La Si Do, May 1, 2005
  7. On Sun, 01 May 2005 06:18:27 -0700, Engineer wrote:
    > The security 'droids have decided that since the MS Office Suite is a
    > "standard" application then software written in MS Office VBA must be
    > "safe."

    "Melissa". (Google hint: "Virus".)

    Given the brazen stupidity demonstrated by these decision makers in the
    face of *internationally newsworthy* plain facts to the contrary,
    this may be a "brush up the resume" situation. Life's short.

    Good luck.

    More constructively, see if you can convince your VBA installation to run
    on Javascript(/Jscript) instead of Visual Basic. While it has some
    annoyances next to Python, by and large it should be a much more tolerable
    choice. It's not Python, but it's surprisingly close in a lot of ways.

    Jeremy Bowers, May 1, 2005