python interpreter on solaris 10

sam

dear all,

having spent the last couple of weeks getting to grips with python on
windows, i am in the position of trying to make the transition to my
newly arrived ultra 20.

however, although there are plenty of files with idle somewhere in the
title, idle.py (which i assume is the interpreter) will not open, as
there is 'no installed viewer.' surely sun have not installed python
only for it to unusable? i may well be completely off base here, as
using unix is still very much a mystery to me.

i have tried /usr/sfw/lib/python at the command prompt. it worked
yesterday, but having now moved and restored the python2.3 file to its
original position, i find the same command prompt failing to work. have
i messed it up by moving it around?

my workstation remains a shiny box which does naught but hum
malevolently. is there hope?

thank you,

sam

sam

to update:

i think i've tracked down the equivalent files on my pc. one opens the
interpreter in a white-backed text editor, the other at the
black-backed command prompt. i have equivalent files of the same size
on the workstation, which must be the same. does anyone know why i'm
getting 'there is no installed viewer capable of displaying the
document'?

i have no idea what i need, or where i can get it. any ideas?

sam

casevh

i think i've tracked down the equivalent files on my pc. one opens the
interpreter in a white-backed text editor, the other at the
black-backed command prompt. i have equivalent files of the same size
on the workstation, which must be the same. does anyone know why i'm
getting 'there is no installed viewer capable of displaying the
document'?

What, exactly, are you doing to create this error?
i have no idea what i need, or where i can get it. any ideas?

What happens when you enter the line below at a command prompt?

/usr/bin/python /usr/lib/python2.4/idlelib/idle.py

casevh

skip

sam> does anyone know why i'm getting 'there is no installed viewer
sam> capable of displaying the document'?

You probably need to associate files having .py file extensions with the
Python interpreter. You've given no indication of the environment you're
using other than "Solaris 10". There are several different desktop
environments available. On my machine I have "Common Desktop Environment",
"Java Desktop System, Release 3" (really, it's mostly Gnome) and "Open
Windows". I imagine how you make that association is different for each
desktop environment.

Skip

sam

What, exactly, are you doing to create this error?

searching on the java desktop for all files with 'idle' in them.
clicking on idle.py which is the same size as the equivalent file on my
pc (from which idle does open).
'could not open document "idle.py"' message comes up.
What happens when you enter the line below at a command prompt?

/usr/bin/python
not found

/usr/lib/python2.4/idlelib/idle.py
/usr/sfw/python2.3/idlelib/idle.py gives

'there is no action associated with "idle.py"'
configure gnome to associate application?

click yes:
edit file type window pops up.
program to run menu is empty.
browse is available. any ideas on what i need to choose?

casevh

/usr/bin/python
not found

/usr/lib/python2.4/idlelib/idle.py
/usr/sfw/python2.3/idlelib/idle.py gives

'there is no action associated with "idle.py"'
configure gnome to associate application?

click yes:
edit file type window pops up.
program to run menu is empty.
browse is available. any ideas on what i need to choose?

You'll need to associate all the python programs (*.py files) with the
python interpreter. To my knowledge, all official Solaris releases
provide Python 2.3 as /usr/sfw/bin/python. Solaris Express ( stable
development snapshots, usually released every two weeks or so) provide
Python 2.4 as /usr/bin/python.

I would try to use the python executable located in /usr/bin if it is
exists, otherwise use the python executable in /usr/sfw/bin.

casevh

sam

I would try to use the python executable located in /usr/bin if it is
exists, otherwise use the python executable in /usr/sfw/bin.

casevh

lordy lord, is that where it was. i just found it now. i had been
thinking that idle was the name of the python interpreter, not just the
IDE, hence my emphasis on it. python itself is indeed just in
/usr/sfw/bin, as you said.

a thousand thanks. i've got it on command line now.

MrJean1

FWIIW,

On my stock Ultra 20 / Solaris 10 / Opteron box, python, idle, etc.
just run fine provided /usr/sfw/bin is in your PATH environment
variable. That is Python 2.3.3, however.

In addition, I installed the Python 2.4.3 build for Solaris from
ActiveState and python, idle, etc. run without any glitch as well.
More at <http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/?mp=1>

Lastly, I downloaded the very latest Python 2.5 release and tried to
build that using the SUN compilers. There are some issues with that
since this is an Opteron and not a SPARC processor.

/Jean Brouwers