Python is a gem, you need to keep pushing it ....

Discussion in 'Python' started by Graeme Matthew, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Hi all, I just wanted to tell someone :)

    I was previously a perl programmer and have been a visual basic frustrated
    developer for a number of years, only for the reason that corporates are so
    obsessed with using proprietary marketing focused computer languages and not
    using true computer science oriented solutions written by computer science
    engineers and not a marketing panel. The amount of frustration I have
    experienced using visual basic is unbelievable and most of these programs
    could have been easily written in python and solved in half the time. I
    looked at ruby, it is a beautiful language too but there are still too many
    scarce libraries compared to python. Perl, I still like perl but its syntax
    requires a photographic memory when coming back to some old code.

    I have now taken on a large project outside of work for another company,
    initially they, yes wait for it, wanted a VB client / server solution. It
    took me lot of hard motivation and they have now totally changed their
    focus, a web based python solution it now is ! who said one cannot market
    linux, python and mysql ? I hope to have the project completed in 6 months
    and I am looking forward to adding it to one of python's success stories.

    So the whole point of this email is that if a lot of you are hitting the
    same frustration as myself where managers (and people who think Microsoft
    invented everything well except a watch you need to recharge every 2 days
    :) keep on insisting on developing in the basket case Microsoft Languages
    such as VB (I am not mentioning C or C++ as it does not fall into this
    bracket) then dont give up, keep up the evangelism, as someday they will
    give in .... and let you prove it too them

    Cheers

    Graeme Matthew, Jul 3, 2003

  2. Graeme Matthew

    delphiro Guest

    Same story here,

    My company primarily uses Delphi (Object Pascal) which is actualy a nice development language / IDE but with linux as a rising star and Kylix as a nasty and not-so-friendly-and-platform-indepandent Delphi-clone we have decided to use Python for a number of small projects. As a python addict I really hope this works out! No offence, but I'd rather be using Emacs and Python than the Delphi IDE. It is so much more fun and it runs on Linux *and* Windows (ok and more.. but those are our target OS'es).

    We now have a team of 4 Python addicts trying to convince our bosses and the 30+ Delphi developers. I realy hope this works out :)

    Regards,
    Rob

    --
    [-------------delphiro-------------]
    [-- http://pyciv.sourceforge.net --]

    delphiro, Jul 3, 2003

  3. I've been a hardcore python evangelist for 4-5 years, but in my experience
    most developers are conservative when it comes to programming languages.
    They tend to stick to what they know and avoid everything else. Especially
    coders using compiled languages like Delphi/Pascal. They know some VB or
    Perl and laugh when I bring up Python. But don't loose faith.

    Thomas

    Thomas Weholt, Jul 3, 2003
  4. Graeme Matthew

    Mark Carter Guest

    > same frustration as myself where managers (and people who think Microsoft
    > invented everything well except a watch you need to recharge every 2 days

    "Me too". I am a programmer at a firm of engineers. They're fixated by
    all things Microsoft. I try to explain to them that, perhaps, not
    *everything* is best done on Excel using VBA. I happened to glance at
    a proposal for a large job (for them) that they were bidding for; and
    it stated that it was to be based on Microsoft Access. *Groan*. Honest
    to God, if it doesn't have coloured cells all over the place, then
    they kind of stare at you like rabbits caught in the headlights of an
    oncoming car. Attempts to tell them that all this guff is difficult to
    put under version control because it's a binary ... you should
    separate code from data ... blah blah ... well, I might as well talk
    to a brick wall.

    Rant over. For now.

    Mark Carter, Jul 3, 2003
  5. Kylix reality (was: Python is a gem, you need to keep pushing it ....)

    In article <>,
    delphiro <> wrote:
    >Same story here,
    >
    >My company primarily uses Delphi (Object Pascal) which is actualy a nice
    >development language / IDE but with linux as a rising star and Kylix as
    >a nasty and not-so-friendly-and-platform-indepandent Delphi-clone we
    >have decided to use Python for a number of small projects. As a python

    .
    .
    .
    How is Kylix "nasty and not-so-friendly"? I
    generally think of it as rather polished and
    useful.
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

    Cameron Laird, Jul 4, 2003
  6. Graeme Matthew

    Stephen Ferg Guest

    Absolutely! Gotta keep pushing!

    If you get into a situation where a presentation -- to management, or
    to other programmers -- would be useful, I've created what I hope will
    be a helpful resource -- the Python Slideshow Presentations page:

    http://www.ferg.org/python_presentations/index.html

    -- Steve Ferg

    Stephen Ferg, Jul 4, 2003
  7. sorry guys, i was just praising python not trying to cause a theoretical
    bitch fight, for my purposes it the best language out there, if you need to
    write device driver fine use C ...

    Graeme Matthew, Jul 6, 2003