Python is cool!!

Jose Manuel

I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
tutorial that comes with the official distribution.

At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.

Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....

Any opinion

Tim Golden

I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
tutorial that comes with the official distribution.

At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.

Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....

You probably want to be looking at IronPython and Silverlight.
In fact, the prolific Michael Foord has already produced an
example of this, which gives you the Python tutorial online!

http://trypython.org

TJG

geremy condra

You probably want to be looking at IronPython and Silverlight.
In fact, the prolific Michael Foord has already produced an
example of this, which gives you the Python tutorial online!

 http://trypython.org

TJG

Granted that I know next to nothing about webwork, but
is there a reason why you recommended a competing,
nonstandard technology rather than simply pointing him
towards more standards compliant tools that exist to do
exactly what he asked for? Seems a bit dodgy to
advocate a closed solution when the alternative has 100%
market share.

Geremy Condra

Tim Golden

Granted that I know next to nothing about webwork, but
is there a reason why you recommended a competing,
nonstandard technology rather than simply pointing him
towards more standards compliant tools that exist to do
exactly what he asked for? Seems a bit dodgy to
advocate a closed solution when the alternative has 100%
market share.

I can't say I thought *very* hard before sending that but...
The OP asked for "integrate Python in Web Pages with HTML"
which I understood -- perhaps wrongly -- to mean: run Python
in the browser. The only two ways I'm aware of doing that
in Python are the undersupported Python-as-IE-scripting-language
and IronPython/Silverlight.

Now I look again, I realise that he may have meant simply:
Python as a server-side toolset with possible support for
Javascript. In which case, of course, my answer was not
so applicable.

TJG

Michael Torrie

Jose said:
Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....

Django is, among several other similar projects and frameworks, very
popular for generating web apps in Python. I have only used Django and
it works very well.

Patrick Maupin

I can't say I thought *very* hard before sending that but...
The OP asked for "integrate Python in Web Pages with HTML"
which I understood -- perhaps wrongly -- to mean: run Python
in the browser. The only two ways I'm aware of doing that
in Python are the undersupported Python-as-IE-scripting-language
and IronPython/Silverlight.

If I had to run Python in a browser, the first thing I would do is
turn to Pyjamas: http://pyjs.org/

Regards,
Pat

Patrick Maupin

There is a project PyWhip (renamed as PyKata) which aims for the same
purpose. Google AppEmgine + Django does the trick for that. May be you can
take an inspiration or two from there especially because all code is open
to/for you.

But, if I understand PyWhip/PyKata after glancing at the project page,
it doesn't actually run code in the browser...

Regards,
Pat

Parker

I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
tutorial that comes with the official distribution.

At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.

Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....

Any opinion

this must be the one you want
http://web2py.com/

bobicanprogram

I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
tutorial that comes with the official distribution.

At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.

Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....

Any opinion

You probably want to take a look at this tutorial as well:

http://www.icanprogram.com/06py/lesson1/lesson1.html

The SIMPL toolkit will give you added flexibility to choose the
language for some of your more computationally intensive simulations
and still present a unified Python interface to the whole thing.

bob

Bruno Desthuilliers

Jose Manuel a écrit :
I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
tutorial that comes with the official distribution.

At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.

Python is indeed quite lightweight when compared to Java. But it has
it's share of non-obvious features, dark corners, gotchas, and plain
warts too.
Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....

If you think of some server-page PHP-like solution, you won't find much
usable stuff. There are quite a few Python web development toolkits /
frameworks, but Django is becoming the de facto standard. Arguably not
the "best" framework (depending on your definition of "best"), but
certainly one of the most pythonic and well documented around.

lkcl

If I had to run Python in a browser, the first thing I would do is
turn toPyjamas:  http://pyjs.org/

or http://skulpt.org or an old version of pypy with the JS back-end
(no longer maintained)

... but there's another way - actually several. i documented them
all here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebBrowserProgramming

solutions include appcelerator, pxpcomext and so on. appcelerator
comprises, as best i can make out, some simple "glue" logic which
connects silverlight/moonlight to DOM access functions via .NET (and
from there to languages such as python or ruby, through IronRuby and
IronPython)

all pretty fucking horrendous, to be honest, and non-portable, making
pyjs and skulpt the infinitely better choices for cross-platform /
cross-browser interoperability. skulpt doesn't come with any UI
widgets (not in JS nor in python) but pyjamas does.

it entirely depends what you want to do.

l.

lkcl

Jose Manuel a écrit :

Python is indeed quite lightweight when compared to Java. But it has
it's share of non-obvious features, dark corners, gotchas, and plain
warts too.

good god. it does?? :) that's news to me, bruno! where? i haven't
found _any_ of those things - it's aaalll been blindingly obvious
and... ok maybe not metaclasses i alllmost grok those :)

l.

Fuzzyman

Granted that I know next to nothing about webwork, but
is there a reason why you recommended a competing,
nonstandard technology rather than simply pointing him
towards more standards compliant tools that exist to do
exactly what he asked for? Seems a bit dodgy to
advocate a closed solution when the alternative has 100%
market share.

Maybe because it is a good tool and for the specific task it achieves
there is nothing close...

The closest is Skulpt which is very much an incomplete implementation
of Python that runs in the browser.

Michael Foord

André

I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
tutorial that comes with the official distribution.

At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.

Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....

An alternative approach to those already mentioned is to use Crunchy
(http://code.google.com/p/crunchy) as a local app in combination with
a browser.

André

lkcl

I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
tutorial that comes with the official distribution.

At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.

Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....

jose, hi,

perhaps it should be pointed out that there are four completely
different types of answers, as outlined here:
http://www.advogato.org/article/993.html

python can be involved in absolutely every single one of those four
separate types of answers.

you should ideally read that article to determine which of the four
approaches is most appropriate for you, and let people here know; and
then people here will be able to respond accordingly and advise you
accurately and with less time spent on their part, in guessing what it
is that you want to do.

l.