    It was an honest mistake, not a troll! Still, I think it should
    be [1, 2, 3] instead of [3, 3, 3]
    , Oct 27, 2003

  2. KefX Guest

    You can't just pull up one example and call a language "harmful" from it, no
    matter how maddeningly unintuitive it is. If you could, ALL languages would be
    harmful (both computer and natural languages!).

    - Kef
    KefX, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Darius Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:56:19 -0800 (PST)
    wrote:

    > map(lambda f: f(1), [lambda x: x + 1 for i in range(3)])
    >
    > Oh, OK, it was a typo (1 instead of i). I take it all back (for now).
    >
    > It was an honest mistake, not a troll! Still, I think it should
    > be [1, 2, 3] instead of [3, 3, 3]

    A honest mistake would be a post to c.l.python saying,
    "map(lambda f: f(1), [lambda x: x + 1 for i in range(3)]) returns
    [2,2,2] rather than [1,2,3] like I'd expect, what's going on here?"

    I really don't know which community you are trying to injure more:
    Haskell or Python.

    At any rate, either you are a troll and none of the involved want you
    here, or you aren't and you should cease posting for a few months
    so you stop looking like one.
    Darius, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Peter Hansen Guest

    Darius wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:56:19 -0800 (PST)
    > wrote:
    > [snip trollisms]

    > At any rate, either you are a troll and none of the involved want you
    > here, or you aren't and you should cease posting for a few months
    > so you stop looking like one.

    He is a troll, no question. Check his recent postings for confirmation.

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Oct 27, 2003
  5. wrote in message news:<>...
    > It was an honest mistake, not a troll! Still, I think it should
    > be [1, 2, 3] instead of [3, 3, 3]

    I don't think you understand what a troll is. Troll is someone
    who posts any of the following:

    1. "Python is Considered Harmful" (given it's highly readable syntax,
    great libraries and high dynamicity, I can't see how a single
    feature could make Python 'harmful'. The title could've just been
    "Unexpected behaviour of closures inside list comprehensions")

    2. "I present to you the final and ultimate proof of Python's
    brain-damage" (again, a needless attack.. which turned against
    yourself though)

    3. "All this Python bashing is starting to feel like mocking
    a retarded child..." (this doesn't need explanation, I hope)

    And look, you posted all three of them in a single message!
    Well, your typo gave us a good laugh nevertheless ;)

    If you want [1, 2, 3], try:

    map(lambda f: f(1), [lambda x, i=i: x + i for i in range(3)])

    i=i will make a local variable i within the lambda so that
    each lambda will refer to their own i instead of sharing the
    same i from the outer scope.
    Hannu Kankaanp??, Oct 27, 2003
  6. wrote:
    > map(lambda f: f(1), [lambda x: x + 1 for i in range(3)])
    >
    > Oh, OK, it was a typo (1 instead of i). I take it all back (for now).
    >
    > It was an honest mistake, not a troll!

    Haha, and why is this posted to newsgroups dedicated
    to languages completely unrelated to python?

    You're a troll and I am feeding you. Your stupidity is however
    large enough so it does not need to be pointed out really. I
    won't be doing it again.

    Ta-ta.

    --
    Thomas.
    Thomas Stegen CES2000, Oct 27, 2003
  7. Josef Meile Guest

    I have done stupid things, after all I'm a human being. But I have
    never done anything like this before. I mean saying that I have the
    proof that a language doesn't work because of a piece of code isn't
    giving me the results I'm expecting. The first thing I would think is
    that it was my mistake and try to find it by myself. But if I don't see
    any error, then I would formulate a polite question instead of insulting
    the python developers, who for sure have done a hard work giving
    us such nice language. I'm sure you'd have received a better answer.
    But now, a lot of people is upset at you because of your arrogance.

    So, you had better change your attitude and read something about
    Netiquette.

    By the way, since the subject is python related, I don't see the need
    to do a crossposting. It just seems like if you wanted to catch the
    attention of as many people as you can.

    Josef Meile, Oct 27, 2003
  8. anandpillai Guest

    I think it is you who are brain-damaged, not python.

    Every computer language has its pros and cons, it does

    not befit a good programmer to post flame baits on

    any comp.lang.x newsgroup just because a piece of code

    he wrote worked in a way he did not expect using the

    language 'x'.

    If the idea is to promote haskell, this is certainly not the

    way I would go about it.

    Try googling for the word 'netiquette', just might save you.

    -Anand

    --
    &quot;The Python Guy&quot;

    anandpillai, Oct 27, 2003
  9. Ville Vainio Guest

    "Josef Meile" <> writes:

    > By the way, since the subject is python related, I don't see the need
    > to do a crossposting. It just seems like if you wanted to catch the
    > attention of as many people as you can.

    It's a standard crossposting troll practice - he wants the Pythonistas
    to say something negative about Haskell, to make the Haskellistas
    flame us back, ad infinitum.

    I guess it can be a fun sociological experiment, if you are posting
    pseudonymously.

    --
    Ville Vainio http://www.students.tut.fi/~vainio24
    Ville Vainio, Oct 27, 2003
  10. SB Guest

    This post is interesting, and raise an issue (unfortunately already
    known) about scopes in Python. But bad faiths occurs when the poster
    forget that :

    1) variable capture is not an error, it can be linked with some topics
    of computer science in one hand, and well known and considered useful
    programming construction in the other hand (say, genuine exceptions).
    Old timer's LISP used dynamic contexts, and has not been reported as
    causing brain damage (AFAIK).

    2) Now, a little bad faith from my own... Could you imagine the number
    of people suffering this kind of brain damage (caused by the heavy use
    of monads), which goes around explaining to people that imperative
    programming is useless, and that only them knows the truth ??? You
    seem to be part of them...

    SB.
    SB, Oct 31, 2003