Python Jabber client?

Paul Rubin

Is there such a thing as a general purpose Python Jabber client? I'm
imagining one that uses tkinter.

A little Googling finds a couple of Jabber protocol libraries written
in Python, a few half-finished projects, and a client for the Sharp
Zaurus, but I didn't spot any simple portable ones that are finished
and ready to use.

If there's more than one, does anyone have a favorite?

Thanks.

Jarek Zgoda

Paul Rubin napisa³(a):
Is there such a thing as a general purpose Python Jabber client? I'm
imagining one that uses tkinter.

A little Googling finds a couple of Jabber protocol libraries written
in Python, a few half-finished projects, and a client>
If there's more than one, does anyone have a favorite?

Gajim is most advanced one, if you don't mind GUI. There are also few
CLI XMPP/Jabber clients, but most of them is *x-limited.

As for libs, there are 2 that are worth of attention: xmpp.py, which has
very slow pace of advancement (most current version is available from
Gajim svn repo, sigh!) and PyXMPP, which is very limited in usage due to
use of libxml, which makes porting to Windows a real PITA. If you want a
decent library, get the one from Gajim repo, it is not as standard
compliant as PyXMPP (PyXMPP author is a JSF member), but is really and
true cross platform.