Python Launcher.app on OS X

Discussion in 'Python' started by kpp9c, Feb 10, 2009.

  1. kpp9c

    kpp9c Guest

    I am very confused about the current state of Python on OS X 10.5.
    Looks like Apple ships with 2.5.1 and that is also the latest
    installer for OS 10.5. The notes on the wiki page found here:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/MacPython/Leopard

    Say:

    Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) comes with the 2.5.1 Python distribution pre-
    installed, with an integrated Python Launcher.app

    [...]

    It is recommended that you delete the newly installed Python
    Launcher.app, because it is already present inside the system
    Python.framework. If you have installed Apple's developer tools (Xcode
    et al), it is recommended that you delete the newly installed Build
    Applet.app, because it is already present in /Developer/Applications/
    Utilities/MacPython 2.5.

    okay... for the life of me i do not see any Python Launcher.app and i
    just installed OS X 10.5 (running 10.5.6 on intel) .... and i also
    installed the dev kit.

    Where the heck is this application?

    best,

    kp
    kpp9c, Feb 10, 2009

  2. On Feb 9, 2009, at 10:26 PM, kpp9c wrote:

    > okay... for the life of me i do not see any Python Launcher.app and i
    > just installed OS X 10.5 (running 10.5.6 on intel) .... and i also
    > installed the dev kit.
    >
    > Where the heck is this application?

    Hi kp,
    I don't seem to have any such beast on my system except for the one
    in /Applications/MacPython 2.5/. Perhaps the documentation is mistaken?
    Philip Semanchuk, Feb 10, 2009

  3. On Feb 10, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Benjamin Kaplan wrote:

    > On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Philip Semanchuk <
    > >wrote:

    >> On Feb 9, 2009, at 10:26 PM, kpp9c wrote:
    >>
    >> okay... for the life of me i do not see any Python Launcher.app and i
    >>> just installed OS X 10.5 (running 10.5.6 on intel) .... and i also
    >>> installed the dev kit.
    >>>
    >>> Where the heck is this application?
    >>>

    >> Hi kp,
    >> I don't seem to have any such beast on my system except for the one
    >> in
    >> /Applications/MacPython 2.5/. Perhaps the documentation is mistaken?

    > It should be in there. It's in the Python framework folder instead
    > of the
    > normal applications folder, and spotlight doesn't find it. Try
    > checking
    > /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/versions/2.5/Resources.

    Good call, you are 100% correct, with the footnote that Versions in
    that path should be capitalized.

    /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources
    Philip Semanchuk, Feb 10, 2009
  4. kpp9c

    kpp9c Guest

    So how does this effect the install instructions found on the link:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/MacPython/Leopard

    do you trash that when you do an install on OS X? I am so hesitant to
    delete anything that resides in /System
    kpp9c, Feb 10, 2009
  5. kpp9c

    Guest