    [1] http://www.zope.org/Members/volkerw/LdapWin32
    http://www.siosistemi.it/~mcicogni/

    [2] http://python-ldap.sourceforge.net/
    Brian Beck, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Brian Beck wrote:
    > As far as I can tell, both maintainers[1] of the Windows builds of
    > Python-LDAP[2] haven't updated in about a year. This doesn't exactly
    > make the builds ancient or obsolete, but it would be nice to start
    > fresh with the latest version.

    Indeed. That's a very unpleasant situation since there have been important
    fixes and enhancements in recent releases.

    Contributions for python-ldap on Win32 would be highly appreciated.

    In the mean time you could build python-ldap for cygwin.

    > I've tried without success in building it myself. The hardest part is
    > simply that Python-LDAP is dependent on at LEAST two other projects --
    > OpenLDAP and Cyrus SASL. This increases the difficulty three-fold.

    Add OpenSSL and heimdal to the list of (optional) dependencies... ;-)

    As the maintainer of python-ldap I'm thinking of two different options
    making python-ldap available on Win32:

    1. Rewrite everything in pure Python (lot of work)

    2. Win32 on top of Microsoft's LDAP SDK (lots of #if's polluting the code)

    > I know that Windows users are a minority when it comes to this module,
    > but surely someone at least KNOWS how to get this to build on Windows.
    > I would be happy to maintain and host an updated build if only I
    > could get this to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > [1] http://www.zope.org/Members/volkerw/LdapWin32
    > http://www.siosistemi.it/~mcicogni/

    I asked the Win32 packagers to update their builds on the python-ldap-dev
    mailing list quite a while ago. Personally I do not have a build environment
    for Win32.

    There was once a description on how to use Microsoft's free compiler
    together with (patched) DistUtils to build extension modules for Win32. But
    I don't have the spare time for working on it.

    Ciao, Michael.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael_Str=F6der?=, Sep 28, 2004