Python-LDAP for Win32

Brian Beck

As far as I can tell, both maintainers[1] of the Windows builds of
Python-LDAP[2] haven't updated in about a year. This doesn't exactly
make the builds ancient or obsolete, but it would be nice to start
fresh with the latest version.

I've tried without success in building it myself. The hardest part is
simply that Python-LDAP is dependent on at LEAST two other projects --
OpenLDAP and Cyrus SASL. This increases the difficulty three-fold.

I know that Windows users are a minority when it comes to this module,
but surely someone at least KNOWS how to get this to build on Windows.
I would be happy to maintain and host an updated build if only I
could get this to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[1] http://www.zope.org/Members/volkerw/LdapWin32
http://www.siosistemi.it/~mcicogni/

[2] http://python-ldap.sourceforge.net/

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael_Str=F6der?=

Brian said:
As far as I can tell, both maintainers[1] of the Windows builds of
Python-LDAP[2] haven't updated in about a year. This doesn't exactly
make the builds ancient or obsolete, but it would be nice to start
fresh with the latest version.

Indeed. That's a very unpleasant situation since there have been important
fixes and enhancements in recent releases.

Contributions for python-ldap on Win32 would be highly appreciated.

In the mean time you could build python-ldap for cygwin.
I've tried without success in building it myself. The hardest part is
simply that Python-LDAP is dependent on at LEAST two other projects --
OpenLDAP and Cyrus SASL. This increases the difficulty three-fold.

Add OpenSSL and heimdal to the list of (optional) dependencies... ;-)

As the maintainer of python-ldap I'm thinking of two different options
making python-ldap available on Win32:

1. Rewrite everything in pure Python (lot of work)

2. Win32 on top of Microsoft's LDAP SDK (lots of #if's polluting the code)
I know that Windows users are a minority when it comes to this module,
but surely someone at least KNOWS how to get this to build on Windows.
I would be happy to maintain and host an updated build if only I
could get this to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[1] http://www.zope.org/Members/volkerw/LdapWin32
http://www.siosistemi.it/~mcicogni/

I asked the Win32 packagers to update their builds on the python-ldap-dev
mailing list quite a while ago. Personally I do not have a build environment
for Win32.

There was once a description on how to use Microsoft's free compiler
together with (patched) DistUtils to build extension modules for Win32. But
I don't have the spare time for working on it.

Ciao, Michael.