python-Levenshtein-0.10.1

John Machin

Hi Guys,

I've been using this c implementation
http://trific.ath.cx/resources/python/levenshtein/ on a windows box and
it works great.

I'd like to move my app over to linux machine and am wondering if
someone could help me understand how to 'install' this extension on a
linux machine?

Standard procedure for installing from source distribution any
well-packaged package (including extensions) on any platform:

1. make a directory for the purpose
2. unpack the downloaded archive into the directory
3. cd to the directory
4. which should contain a file "setup.py"
5. at the shell/command/whatever prompt, do
setup.py install
or whatever it takes to run the "setup.py" script with one argument,
"install"
6. stand well back :)

-- all of which and much more can be found here:

http://docs.python.org/inst/inst.html

HTH,
John

joshbloom

Well I feel kind of stupid..

But here's the answer in case anyone else searches for this.

python setup.py install

-jb

Fredrik Lundh

I'd like to move my app over to linux machine and am wondering if
someone could help me understand how to 'install' this extension on a
linux machine?

unless the README in the distribution says otherwise, following the
instructions in the standard "Installing Python Modules" manual should work:

http://docs.python.org/inst/inst.html

</F>