Python library for reading ODF Spreadsheets

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jonathan Hunt, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. Hi all,

    I have had a look on google/freshmeat etc. so please forgive me if I've missed
    an obvious answer.

    Can someone point me to a simple library to read/write ODF spreadsheets (i.e.
    OpenOffice Calc 2). I know I can interface with OOo but this is running on a
    server where I would rather avoid a full-on library.

    Something like
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/
    but for reading ODF.

    I have found write only solutions - but no read library except for the full
    Monte OOo/UNO which I want to avoid.

    Please, please help. Or the pragmatist in me will be forced to use XLS to get
    this job done. Thanks in advance for any help.

    Jonny

    (I'm not on the list. Please CC me answers).
    --
    Jonathan Hunt <>
    Website: http://www.me.net.nz (PGP Public Key available there)

    Jonathan Hunt, Dec 3, 2006

  2. Jonathan Hunt

    John Machin Guest

    On 4/12/2006 10:18 AM, Jonathan Hunt wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have had a look on google/freshmeat etc. so please forgive me if I've missed
    > an obvious answer.
    >
    > Can someone point me to a simple library to read/write ODF spreadsheets (i.e.
    > OpenOffice Calc 2). I know I can interface with OOo but this is running on a
    > server where I would rather avoid a full-on library.
    >
    > Something like
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/
    > but for reading ODF.
    >
    > I have found write only solutions - but no read library except for the full
    > Monte OOo/UNO which I want to avoid.
    >
    > Please, please help. Or the pragmatist in me will be forced to use XLS to get
    > this job done. Thanks in advance for any help.

    There is no such library as you describe.

    > Jonny
    >
    > (I'm not on the list. Please CC me answers).

    Such a request is usually considered to be impertinent bludging and is
    likely to get you *no* answers. Consider subscribing to the list and
    reading it. Alternatively you could use a newsreader pointed at
    news:comp.lang.python or a browser pointed at
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python.

    HTH,
    John

    John Machin, Dec 3, 2006

  3. Jonathan Hunt

    Guest

    ODT is an XML format, so you can use any XML library, including the one
    in the default python distribution. It might be zipped XML in which
    case you will need to uncompress it first.

    -T

    John Machin wrote:
    > On 4/12/2006 10:18 AM, Jonathan Hunt wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I have had a look on google/freshmeat etc. so please forgive me if I've missed
    > > an obvious answer.
    > >
    > > Can someone point me to a simple library to read/write ODF spreadsheets (i.e.
    > > OpenOffice Calc 2). I know I can interface with OOo but this is running on a
    > > server where I would rather avoid a full-on library.
    > >
    > > Something like
    > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/
    > > but for reading ODF.
    > >
    > > I have found write only solutions - but no read library except for the full
    > > Monte OOo/UNO which I want to avoid.
    > >
    > > Please, please help. Or the pragmatist in me will be forced to use XLS to get
    > > this job done. Thanks in advance for any help.

    > There is no such library as you describe.
    >

    > > Jonny
    > >
    > > (I'm not on the list. Please CC me answers).

    > Such a request is usually considered to be impertinent bludging and is
    > likely to get you *no* answers. Consider subscribing to the list and
    > reading it. Alternatively you could use a newsreader pointed at
    > news:comp.lang.python or a browser pointed at
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python.
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

    , Dec 4, 2006