Python library for reading ODF Spreadsheets

Jonathan Hunt

Hi all,

I have had a look on google/freshmeat etc. so please forgive me if I've missed
an obvious answer.

Can someone point me to a simple library to read/write ODF spreadsheets (i.e.
OpenOffice Calc 2). I know I can interface with OOo but this is running on a
server where I would rather avoid a full-on library.

Something like
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/
but for reading ODF.

I have found write only solutions - but no read library except for the full
Monte OOo/UNO which I want to avoid.

Please, please help. Or the pragmatist in me will be forced to use XLS to get
this job done. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jonny

(I'm not on the list. Please CC me answers).
--
Jonathan Hunt <[email protected]>
Website: http://www.me.net.nz (PGP Public Key available there)

John Machin

Hi all,

I have had a look on google/freshmeat etc. so please forgive me if I've missed
an obvious answer.

Can someone point me to a simple library to read/write ODF spreadsheets (i.e.
OpenOffice Calc 2). I know I can interface with OOo but this is running on a
server where I would rather avoid a full-on library.

Something like
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/
but for reading ODF.

I have found write only solutions - but no read library except for the full
Monte OOo/UNO which I want to avoid.

Please, please help. Or the pragmatist in me will be forced to use XLS to get
this job done. Thanks in advance for any help.

There is no such library as you describe.
Jonny

(I'm not on the list. Please CC me answers).

Such a request is usually considered to be impertinent bludging and is
likely to get you *no* answers. Consider subscribing to the list and
reading it. Alternatively you could use a newsreader pointed at
or a browser pointed at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python.

HTH,
John

tleeuwenburg

ODT is an XML format, so you can use any XML library, including the one
in the default python distribution. It might be zipped XML in which
case you will need to uncompress it first.

-T