Python Library Win7 -64 Bit

Discussion in 'Python' started by James Ravenscroft, Jun 15, 2010.

  1. Dear All,

    Before I start, I'm aware of how much of a nightmare MSys and MINGW are
    in comparison to UNIX/Linux environments, I'm a casual Ubuntu user
    myself and I wouldn't go near Windows if I didn't have to.

    I'm trying to install the Python LibXML2 extensions onto my 64 bit
    Cython 2.6 setup under Windows 7. When I do a "python setup.py build -c
    mingw32", everything starts off fine and the compilation begins.
    Distutils then returns complaining that most of the Python symbols (e.g.
    _imp_Py_NoneStruct and _imp_PyArg_ParseTuple) are undefined. This lead
    me to assume that the linker on my platform can't find a python library
    to link against. Sure enough, I looked through my build path and
    couldn't find libpython26.dll or libpython26.a anywhere. I managed to
    get hold of a libpython26 shared library file (I think I found it in my
    System32 folder) and copied it to C:\Python26\libs which is one of the
    directories on my gcc search path. However, I'm still getting the same
    rubbish about not all the python symbols being undefined.

    Has anyone had any prior experience with this sort of problem or can
    anyone point me in the right direction? The only solution I could come
    up with was to compile python itself from scratch which, even on a high
    end desktop, takes hours and hours and hours... (etc) on an Msys setup.

    Thanks,

    James Ravenscroft
    Funky Monkey Software
    james (at) funkymonkeysoftware (dot) com
    James Ravenscroft, Jun 15, 2010

  2. > Has anyone had any prior experience with this sort of problem or can
    > anyone point me in the right direction?

    My recommendation is to install the 32-bit version of Python, and use
    precompiled binaries of libxml.

    Failing that, install Visual Studio Express (or Visual Studio proper),
    and compile libxml with that.

    This recommendation assumes that you are looking for an approach with
    least effort.

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. Loewis, Jun 15, 2010