Python Library Win7 -64 Bit

James Ravenscroft

Dear All,

Before I start, I'm aware of how much of a nightmare MSys and MINGW are
in comparison to UNIX/Linux environments, I'm a casual Ubuntu user
myself and I wouldn't go near Windows if I didn't have to.

I'm trying to install the Python LibXML2 extensions onto my 64 bit
Cython 2.6 setup under Windows 7. When I do a "python setup.py build -c
mingw32", everything starts off fine and the compilation begins.
Distutils then returns complaining that most of the Python symbols (e.g.
_imp_Py_NoneStruct and _imp_PyArg_ParseTuple) are undefined. This lead
me to assume that the linker on my platform can't find a python library
to link against. Sure enough, I looked through my build path and
couldn't find libpython26.dll or libpython26.a anywhere. I managed to
get hold of a libpython26 shared library file (I think I found it in my
System32 folder) and copied it to C:\Python26\libs which is one of the
directories on my gcc search path. However, I'm still getting the same
rubbish about not all the python symbols being undefined.

Has anyone had any prior experience with this sort of problem or can
anyone point me in the right direction? The only solution I could come
up with was to compile python itself from scratch which, even on a high
end desktop, takes hours and hours and hours... (etc) on an Msys setup.

Thanks,

James Ravenscroft
Funky Monkey Software
james (at) funkymonkeysoftware (dot) com

Martin v. Loewis

Has anyone had any prior experience with this sort of problem or can
anyone point me in the right direction?

My recommendation is to install the 32-bit version of Python, and use
precompiled binaries of libxml.

Failing that, install Visual Studio Express (or Visual Studio proper),
and compile libxml with that.

This recommendation assumes that you are looking for an approach with
least effort.

Regards,
Martin