python/libxml2dom questions

bruce

hi paul...

in playing around with the test python app (see below) i've got a couple of
basic questions. i can't seem to find the answers via google, and when i've
looked in the libxml2dom stuff that i downloaded i didn't see answers
either...

for the list in the "for label in d.xpath" how can i find out the size of
the list???? a simple/basic question, but it's driving me up a wall!!!

also, how can i determine what methods are available for a libxml2dom
object?

thanks...

-bruce

Paul McGuire

bruce said:
hi paul...

in playing around with the test python app (see below) i've got a couple of
basic questions. i can't seem to find the answers via google, and when i've
looked in the libxml2dom stuff that i downloaded i didn't see answers
either...

for the list in the "for label in d.xpath" how can i find out the size of
the list???? a simple/basic question, but it's driving me up a wall!!!
I'm at a loss. Python ships with sample code. libxml2dom ships with sample
code. Somewhere in there must be code that evaluates the length (hint) of a
list.

What search terms are you googling for? The 3rd link returned from Google,
searching for "python list size" is this one.

http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/html/page82.html

Yes, this is a simple/basic question. It is so simple/basic, that it gets
discussed in just about every Python tutorial within the first 3 pages.
also, how can i determine what methods are available for a libxml2dom
object?

Didn't I post a message earlier describing dir and help? You need to do
some basic reading, man!

-- Paul
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
give a man a fish every day and you feed him for the rest of his life.

Barry Kelly

bruce said:
also, how can i determine what methods are available for a libxml2dom
object?

Have you tried dir(object)? It works great on the command-line
reply-eval-print loop.

-- Barry

Stefan Behnel

bruce said:
in playing around with the test python app (see below) i've got a couple of
basic questions. i can't seem to find the answers via google, and when i've
looked in the libxml2dom stuff that i downloaded i didn't see answers
either...

for the list in the "for label in d.xpath" how can i find out the size of
the list???? a simple/basic question, but it's driving me up a wall!!!

also, how can i determine what methods are available for a libxml2dom
object?

Obvious question: Why don't you use lxml? It's pretty well documented.

http://codespeak.net/lxml

For the rest of the questions: please read the Python tutorial on python.org.
It's very helpful for beginners.

Stefan