Python linear algebra module -- requesting comments on interface

Discussion in 'Python' started by barnesc@engr.orst.edu, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Thanks for your commentary.

    The module will be public domain.

    I fixed the broken link (epydoc was inserting backslashes in URLs),
    changed the default arguments to None as you suggested, and added
    a randfunc=None and randargs=() default argument for random_matrix()
    and random_vector() (the matrix is populated with randfunc(*randargs)
    entries if randfunc is not None).

    - Connelly Barnes
    E-mail address: 'Y29ubmVsbHliYXJuZXNAeWFob28uY29t\n'.
    decode('base64')

    >C. Barnes wrote:
    >> Hi, I'm in the process of writing a Python linear
    >> algebra module.
    >>
    >> The current targeted interface is:
    >> http://oregonstate.edu/~barnesc/temp/linalg/

    >Is this going to become free software. If yes, what license
    >will you use?
    >

    >So my suggestions:
    >
    >In cases like these ones:
    >
    > random_matrix(m, n=-1)
    > zero_matrix(m, n=-1)
    >
    >.. I think it's better to set the default value to "None"
    >instead of a number:
    >
    > random_matrix(m, n=None)
    > zero_matrix(m, n=None)
    >
    >IMHO, this is more intuitive and more "pythonic".
    >
    >I also suggest to make the "random function" choosable:
    >
    > random_matrix(m, n=None, randfunc=random.random)
    > random_vector(n, randfunc=random.random)
    >
    >This way it's more easy for those who want another range
    >of numbers, or want another kind of distribution of the
    >random numbers.
    >

    >At the top of your documentation, there is a link "overview",
    >which is broken:
    >
    > See _overview_ for a quick start.
    >

    >Greets,
    >
    > Volker