python linux distro

azrael

Hy guys

last night i was lying in my bed and thinking about something. is
there any linux distro that is primary oriented to python. you know
what i mean. no need for php, java, or something like this. pure
python and containig all the funky modules like scipy, numpy,
boaconstructor (wx of course). something like the python enthought
edition, but all this on a distro included. maybe psql but persistant
predered, zope of course. everything a developer is ever going to
need.
So i stood up, sat down on my ugly acer notebook with a python stiker
on it and made a huge list of cool modles i would prefer. I would like
to make such a distro but i am not a linux pro. so this is going to
stay just a idea. i thouht it should be realy user fredly like sabayon
or ubuntu (without xgel). if this were a live distro it would be
amazing.
I know, dont expet someone else to do your work, but is there anyone
who likes the idea and has the knowledge i dont have.
I also know for quantian (cool distro), but for me, there is too much
other crap and not enough python.

i even got the nam of it. maybee not the best but it fits the context.
PyTux

Thomas Guettler

azrael said:
Hy guys

last night i was lying in my bed and thinking about something. is
there any linux distro that is primary oriented to python. you know
what i mean. no need for php, java, or something like this. pure
python and containig all the funky modules like scipy, numpy,
boaconstructor (wx of course). something like the python enthought
edition, but all this on a distro included. maybe psql but persistant
predered, zope of course. everything a developer is ever going to
need.

On debian base distributions you can create a task. A task list
all packages you need. You could make a task all-python-stuff.

But I don't think many people will use it. I use Python daily, but
at the moment I never use Zope, scipy or twisted.

Ubuntu is a very python friendly environment.

Thomas

Shawn Milo

Hi,
the world doesn't need another Linux distro, there are too many already...
(> 100)
I believe it's a better idea to spend your time contributing to an existing
distro (e.g. http://www.ubuntu.com/developers/bounties)
doing Python related stuff. Besides that, all distros I know of (4) already
have a lot of Python packages ready for download.
regards,
Dimitri
<snip>

You're right, there are too many. Not just over 100, but over 500. As
of this week, DistroWatch reports having 528 in their database. Check
out DistroWatch.com for details.

To the original poster:
You may not be a Linux expert, but if you feel like reading some
documentation, you can easily remaster a live CD such as Knoppix or
DSL (Damn Small Linux). Just to to the distro's site and check out the
documentation. This won't be the creation of a brand-new distro --
it's the same thing as changing the wallpaper and creating your custom
re-master just for yourself.

Both distros I mentioned (and many others, I'm sure) have a simple,
built-in tool for installing additional packages. Do that, then make
your re-image from your running live version.

Shawn

Steve Holden

azrael said:
[...]

Well, Ubuntu is normally held to be a pretty Python-friendly distro. But
nowadays you might get more mileage out of distributing a Xen or VMWare
virtual machine that has Python and all necessary packages installed
with it. There is a fine example, the Python Web Developer Appliance, at

http://www.mcguru.net/pyweb.html

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Blog of Note: http://holdenweb.blogspot.com

azrael

thanks guys

when i wrote this, i thought that out there is some crazy guy like me.
i was hoping for more support but after these arguments, there is
nothing more then to say:you are right. the world doesnt need another
distro. but if one day I mange to do it, hope you will be glade that i
post the lik here.

i will look out (if i mange to do it) to use the slax distro and just
add some packages.

thnx

John McCallum

Hiya,
last night i was lying in my bed and thinking about something. is
there any linux distro that is primary oriented to python.

Well, it's a general purpose distro, but Gentoo (www.gentoo.org) relies on
Python as it's package management system is written in Python & Bash. most
python things I use are available, but scipy is masked at the moment
(this means that there is a problem with the package - you can normally
use masked packages, but at your own risk ;).

Also, it should be noted that unlike most other distro's, Gentoo is a
source distro: the package system downloads and builds for your system and
so you can set global preferences, such as the optimisation level or
processor support. It just takes a few CPU more cycles to upgrade things.

HTH,
John McCallum

Matthew Franz

thanks guys
when i wrote this, i thought that out there is some crazy guy like me.
i was hoping for more support but after these arguments, there is
nothing more then to say:you are right. the world doesnt need another
distro. but if one day I mange to do it, hope you will be glade that i
post the lik here.

Now what would be interesting (and *really* crazy) would be Linux (or
BSD or whatever) distro written almost entirely *in* Python, with the
goal of eliminating as much bash/sh as possible.

That would be fun.

- mdf

Steve Holden

Szabolcs said:
actually there was(is) an os whitch is written "almost entirely *in*
Python":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unununium_(operating_system)

(their main site http://unununium.org seems to be down)
^was(is)^may one day be, but probably not,^

From the quoted page:

"""The project is in an early development phase and as of January 2007,
no significant progress was being made due to lack of developer time.[5]"""

regards
Steve

[5]: links to a dead server
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Blog of Note: http://holdenweb.blogspot.com
See you at PyCon? http://us.pycon.org/TX2007

Szabolcs Nagy

^was(is)^may one day be, but probably not,^
From the quoted page:

"""The project is in an early development phase and as of January 2007,
no significant progress was being made due to lack of developer time.[5]"""

well actually i managed to boot unununium in qemu so it _is_ an os

but obviously there isn't much code and the devs gave up so that's why
it _was_ an os project

anyway it was not an os about python, but a desktop os with a highly
different approach from current os-es they just happen to use a lot of
python

there were a lot of interesting ideas so the mail archives might be
useful for anyone who is interested in os development
http://unununium.org/pipermail/uuu-devel/