python list handling and Lisp list handling

namekuseijin

Surely you meant to say that Lisp lists aren't lists?

It-all-depends-on-how-you-define-lists-ly y'rs,

Yeah, the List Processing language got it all wrong by not going with
arrays like Python...

Steven D'Aprano

Yeah, the List Processing language got it all wrong by not going with
arrays like Python...

Well, Lisp was invented in 1958, before anyone knew how to program *wink*.

Seriously though, linked lists are not the only sort of list. That was my
point: first define what is a list, and then we can debate what is or
isn't a list. Even within linked lists, there are various different
types, all with their own strengths and weaknesses: singly-linked lists,
doubly-linked lists, circular lists, open lists, xor-lists, lists with or
without sentinels, lists with internal and external storage, unrolled
linked lists, and combinations of all of the above.

J Kenneth King

Steven D'Aprano said:
Well, Lisp was invented in 1958, before anyone knew how to program *wink*.

And 50+ years of development hasn't taught them anything. :p

Guess you don't know anything about programming unless you're new...
Seriously though, linked lists are not the only sort of list. That was my
point: first define what is a list, and then we can debate what is or
isn't a list. Even within linked lists, there are various different
types, all with their own strengths and weaknesses: singly-linked lists,
doubly-linked lists, circular lists, open lists, xor-lists, lists with or
without sentinels, lists with internal and external storage, unrolled
linked lists, and combinations of all of the above.

And any sufficiently powerful language would allow the programmer to
adapt to any type they needed. ;)

Interesting topic though.