Python logging and 1.5.2 compatibility

Vinay Sajip

I'm planning to "officially" drop support for Python 1.5.2 in the logging
package.

When the logging package was introduced in Python 2.3, many Linux distros were
shipping 1.5.2 as the system's Python, even though 2.2 had been out for a
while. So it seemed important to support 1.5.2 for those sysadmins who wanted
to use logging with their system Python.

The Linux landscape has changed a bit since then. Most Linux distros ship with
much more recent versions of Python, and so I no longer see 1.5.2 support as
important.

Dropping support for 1.5.2 means that future changes to logging will not be
concerned with 1.5.2 compatibility. For example, boolean values which were 0/1
in the logging package will at some point be replaced by False/True, and newer
language features will start to be used when changes are made. There are no
plans for a specific "cleanup" exercise at the moment. In fact some changes
made a while ago inadvertently broke 1.5.2 compatibility, but no-one's
complained. So I'm assuming the whole thing is really a non-issue, and this
post is just to keep everyone in the picture.

A 1.5.2-compatible version of the package is still available via
http://www.red-dove.com/python_logging.html if anyone needs it. This version
is not actively maintained, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip

TerryP

A 1.5.2-compatible version of the package is still available viahttp://www.red-dove.com/python_logging.htmlif anyone needs it. This version
is not actively maintained, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip

As long as people can dig up an old version, everything should be
fine.

It's not like you're asking people to port over a quarter million
lines of working code to the latest and untested :)