Python mascot? How about a Pythoneer?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stephen Ferg, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Stephen Ferg

    Stephen Ferg Guest

    I've been thinking that a good Python mascot might help in raising
    public awareness of Python.

    The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic
    enough. An effective mascot has to have something approximating two
    arms, two legs, and a head, so that he can be put into various
    interesting situations and adventures. (At the very least, he has to
    be able to work a keyboard and a mouse!) Good examples can be found
    in some of the imaginative things that have been done with Linux's
    Tux.

    So a snake is out.

    So are Terry Gilliam's wonderful cartoons for the Flying Circus.
    While wonderful, I just don't think they lend themselves to
    mascot-hood.

    With the snake and the flying circus eliminated, we haven't got much
    left. Clearly, it is time to think out of the box.

    In that spirit, I propose the development of a figure representing
    Python -- the Pythoneer.

    He'd be loosley based on Dave Stevens' Rocketeer (which became the
    Disney movie, "The Rocketeer") and/or on the Rocketman figure of the
    old Republic serials -- Commando Cody, King of the Rocketmen, and so
    on. But he'd have a big "P" on his chest, like Guido has in the
    second picture on http://www.python.org/~guido/pics.html

    With a helmet, the Pythoneer's features are simplified enough to lend
    themselves to small images, cartoons, and even (in the hands of
    skilled artists) the expression of emotions. The rocket pack suggests
    the power of Python and the power that Python gives to developers. See
    for example http://goldenscore.free.fr/images/rocketeer.jpg

    The rocket pack also offers a useful means for getting/putting the
    Pythoneer into interesting situations and adventures.

    At first I liked the idea of a Pythoneer modelled on Dave Stevens'
    Rocketeer, but after thinking about what I assume is a copyright on
    the Rocketeer figure -- and also thinking that the riding pants get a
    bit old after a while -- I have warmed to the clunky charms of the
    original Rocketman figure with his bullet-like helmet.

    So now the idea/proposal has been thrown into the comp.lang.python
    arena. Is the idea for a Python mascot a good one, or a stupid one?
    Is the idea of a Pythoneer a good one? Or are there other, better,
    Python mascots just waiting to emerge?

    -- Steve Ferg

    Here are some reference materials

    The Rocketeer
    -------------
    http://home.mindspring.com/~graphic_illusion/rocket.jpg
    http://www.filmwise.com/visual/cutout_03/image_02a.jpg

    The Rocketman
    -------------
    http://www.superherophotos.net/serials/cc.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Garden/3622/ccsmou.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Garden/3622/moreimages.htm
    http://users.erols.com/cdmalin/CommCody.jpg

    The Rocketeer and Rocketman
    ---------------------------

    (This page proves that Jennifer Connelly would also make a great
    Python mascot... I'm sure her presence would boost attendance at the
    IPCs.)
    http://www.superherophotos.net/serials/rocket.htm

    http://www.rocketmania.com/images/two rockets.jpg

    Tux
    -----------------------

    Finally,here are some things that have been done with Tux.

    The original drawing by Larry Ewing:
    http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/

    Collections of Tuxes:
    http://www.linux.org/info/logos.html
    http://tunes.org/~do/penguindex.html

    Stephen Ferg, Sep 29, 2003

  2. On 28 Sep 2003 18:37:37 -0700, rumours say that (Stephen
    Ferg) might have written:

    >(This page proves that Jennifer Connelly would also make a great
    >Python mascot... I'm sure her presence would boost attendance at the
    >IPCs.)

    It would also lower comprehension of what the funny person at the podium
    says and doesn't let attendants apprehend Jennifer's presence...

    --
    TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
    Ils sont fous ces Redmontains! --Harddix

    Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Stephen Ferg

    Jonathan P. Guest

    Stephen Ferg wrote:

    > The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic
    > enough.

    > An effective mascot has to have something approximating two
    > arms, two legs, and a head, so that he can be put into various
    > interesting situations and adventures.

    Leave Odi alone! I've grown pretty fond of him. Besides, it's
    not as if that prozacced-out Tux has ever moved his paralyzed
    feet and arms/wings.

    Jonathan P., Oct 16, 2003
  4. On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 05:33:21 +0800, "Jonathan P."
    <> wrote:

    >Stephen Ferg wrote:
    >
    >> The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic
    >> enough.

    > > An effective mascot has to have something approximating two
    >> arms, two legs, and a head, so that he can be put into various
    >> interesting situations and adventures.

    >Leave Odi alone! I've grown pretty fond of him. Besides, it's
    >not as if that prozacced-out Tux has ever moved his paralyzed
    >feet and arms/wings.

    Well I don't have time right now to scan in some of their ads, but the
    German Bytec GmbH uses Tux quite a lot there, though a quick search
    only reveals one meager example on the web:
    http://www.bytec.de/gbl/index_de.html

    Eppur si muove!

    --
    Christopher

    Christopher Koppler, Oct 17, 2003
  5. Stephen Ferg fed this fish to the penguins on Sunday 28 September 2003
    18:37 pm:

    > I've been thinking that a good Python mascot might help in raising
    > public awareness of Python.
    >
    > The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic
    > enough. An effective mascot has to have something approximating two
    > arms, two legs, and a head, so that he can be put into various
    > interesting situations and adventures. (At the very least, he has to
    > be able to work a keyboard and a mouse!) Good examples can be found
    > in some of the imaginative things that have been done with Linux's
    > Tux.
    >
    > So a snake is out.

    You've never seen an old down-under strip of the simple name "Snake",
    have you <G> Granted, Snake is usually on the receiving end of the
    damages -- even "Lady Snake" doesn't like him (and how a snake with
    Dolly Parton appendages moves over the ground I don't want to consider).

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Oct 18, 2003
  6. Stephen Ferg

    MandlaX Guest

    > > The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic
    > > enough. > >
    > > So a snake is out.

    > You've never seen an old down-under strip of the simple name

    "Snake",
    > have you <G> Granted, Snake is usually on the receiving end of the
    > damages -- even "Lady Snake" doesn't like him (and how a snake with
    > Dolly Parton appendages moves over the ground I don't want to consider).
    >
    > --

    I have a book of the "Snake" cartoons somewhere. Does he have a website?

    The Python mascot could be non-sexist, too. Think "her" instead of "him".
    (Nothing like some mammalian protruberances to anthropomorphise a beastie) -
    Lady Snake, but more voluptuous, and possessing udders that twin calves
    could live off?

    Surely there must be a way of using such appendages to operate keyboards and
    mice? (Maybe some of the female contributors could do such an experiment for
    a laugh).

    Sorry. Lady Snake just brings out the old letch within ...

    MandlaX, Oct 26, 2003