    the Net! *cough* Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

    Cheers,

    Dimitri.
    Dimitri Tcaciuc, Dec 12, 2004

  2. On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:54:38 +0000, Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
    > I haven't came up with the name for that guy yet, so I'm leaving that
    > for public suggestions :). It is time Python gets an official face in
    > the Net! *cough* Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

    I mean no offense, this was just my initial reaction: I like the drawing
    itself, but the first thing that coloration brings to mind is the word
    "diseased". Sorry, I don't know how to make this sound less brutal without
    getting that across. But I do like the drawing.
    Jeremy Bowers, Dec 12, 2004

  3. Jeremy Bowers wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:54:38 +0000, Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
    >
    >>I haven't came up with the name for that guy yet, so I'm leaving that
    >>for public suggestions :). It is time Python gets an official face in
    >>the Net! *cough* Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

    > I mean no offense, this was just my initial reaction: I like the drawing
    > itself, but the first thing that coloration brings to mind is the word
    > "diseased". Sorry, I don't know how to make this sound less brutal without
    > getting that across. But I do like the drawing.

    Heh, well, I tried to pick the actual snake colors, but I agree that it
    looks rather plagued. I shall remove the colouring for now, and think on
    a more lively colour scheme.
    Dimitri Tcaciuc, Dec 12, 2004
  4. Jeremy Bowers wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:54:38 +0000, Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
    >
    >>I haven't came up with the name for that guy yet, so I'm leaving that
    >>for public suggestions :). It is time Python gets an official face in
    >>the Net! *cough* Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

    > I mean no offense, this was just my initial reaction: I like the drawing
    > itself, but the first thing that coloration brings to mind is the word
    > "diseased". Sorry, I don't know how to make this sound less brutal without
    > getting that across. But I do like the drawing.

    Yeah, cool drawing, though I also think I'd change the colors too. They
    don't really match up with the traditional Python icon. If you're on
    windows this is in the root directory of your Python install, e.g.:

    C:\Program Files\Python\py.ico

    I don't know if this file is distributed with the other installs...

    Anyway, your pic's cool, but I'd prefer to at least keep the same
    coloring as the traditional Python python.

    Steve
    Steven Bethard, Dec 12, 2004
  5. Dimitri Tcaciuc

    richard Guest

    Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
    > While I'm not absolutely positive, it looks like Python still doesn't
    > have any official mascot or logo.

    As already mentioned, there is a snake that gets used in a number of icons
    around the place - the windows installer, for example.

    > Hence, here's something I came up with
    > yesterday. Its by no means a final version, but rather just a draft to
    > show an idea. Here's a link to png file.
    >
    > http://www.sfu.ca/~dtcaciuc/art/pymascot.png

    Very cute :)

    Having said that, don't forget that Python's name has *nothing to do with
    snakes*. Please consider sticking to the original roots of the language's
    name: Monty Python's Flying Circus. IIRC, Guido has said a number of times
    that he's not fond of using a snake for logos. Hence the MacPython stuff
    uses a 16 ton weight in its icons.

    Richard
    richard, Dec 12, 2004
  6. richard wrote:
    > Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
    >
    >>While I'm not absolutely positive, it looks like Python still doesn't
    >>have any official mascot or logo.

    > As already mentioned, there is a snake that gets used in a number of icons
    > around the place - the windows installer, for example.
    >

    >>Hence, here's something I came up with
    >>yesterday. Its by no means a final version, but rather just a draft to
    >>show an idea. Here's a link to png file.
    >>
    >>http://www.sfu.ca/~dtcaciuc/art/pymascot.png

    > Very cute :)
    >
    > Having said that, don't forget that Python's name has *nothing to do with
    > snakes*. Please consider sticking to the original roots of the language's
    > name: Monty Python's Flying Circus. IIRC, Guido has said a number of times
    > that he's not fond of using a snake for logos. Hence the MacPython stuff
    > uses a 16 ton weight in its icons.
    >

    > Richard

    Yup, I was aware of the fact of Monty Python roots of the language name.
    However, you will probably agree that a snake is more associative.

    Plus, if to use some characteristic MP feature like a giant foot, I'm
    not positive that it won't trigger any copyright issues.
    Dimitri Tcaciuc, Dec 12, 2004
  7. Dimitri Tcaciuc

    Bud Rogers Guest

    richard wrote:

    > Having said that, don't forget that Python's name has *nothing to do
    > with snakes*. Please consider sticking to the original roots of the
    > language's name: Monty Python's Flying Circus. IIRC, Guido has said a
    > number of times that he's not fond of using a snake for logos.

    Some time ago while cruising a Barnes & Noble I found a Python book I
    hadn't seen before. I don't remember the title at the moment, and I
    don't have the book at hand, but the cover had a large python staring
    down at a small frightened rodent. When I went to check out, the
    person at the counter was a kind of frumpy librarian type. She looked
    at the cover and made some snide remark about frightening small
    children. I thought for a moment about trying to explain to her that
    the cover art was an inside joke on an inside joke. When I realized
    how far back I would have to go to unwind all the references, it just
    didn't seem worth the trouble.
    Bud Rogers, Dec 12, 2004
  8. Hey Dimitri,

    I completely agree with you in that Python needs once for all a cool
    logo.
    I like your design very much, but I have a few thoughts about it:

    1) I think that Python's logo should reflect its power.
    If we use a mascot as its image, we would be giving the wrong idea:
    that Python is a "toy" language, instead of a very good alternative to
    other mainstream languages.

    2) We should also bear in mind Guido's oppinion about using a snake for
    identifying Python.

    3) And finally, we should consider it very seriously. Image is not
    everything, but it is very important for "marketing" a product. I'm
    sure that if Java didn't have a cool name and a cool logo, it wouldn't
    have been that succesfull.

    I don't mean to sound like I'm rejecting your idea. I really like it
    alot, and it is an excellent mascot.
    It's just that I wouldn't use a mascot... I'd rather use a more
    "killer" image.
    Something that reflects power and excellence.

    What do you think?
    Luis M. Gonzalez, Dec 12, 2004
  9. Nice drawing!

    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch
    Diez B. Roggisch, Dec 12, 2004
  10. Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
    > Hey Dimitri,
    >
    > I completely agree with you in that Python needs once for all a cool
    > logo.
    > I like your design very much, but I have a few thoughts about it:
    >
    > 1) I think that Python's logo should reflect its power.
    > If we use a mascot as its image, we would be giving the wrong idea:
    > that Python is a "toy" language, instead of a very good alternative to
    > other mainstream languages.
    >
    > 2) We should also bear in mind Guido's oppinion about using a snake for
    > identifying Python.
    >
    > 3) And finally, we should consider it very seriously. Image is not
    > everything, but it is very important for "marketing" a product. I'm
    > sure that if Java didn't have a cool name and a cool logo, it wouldn't
    > have been that succesfull.
    >
    > I don't mean to sound like I'm rejecting your idea. I really like it
    > alot, and it is an excellent mascot.
    > It's just that I wouldn't use a mascot... I'd rather use a more
    > "killer" image.
    > Something that reflects power and excellence.
    >
    > What do you think?

    Hehe, well, looking at linux, Tux is definitely not a killer type, yet
    it became very popular. BSD devil is kind of a cutsy thing, yet it
    proved to be pretty popular as well.

    Not sure if the word 'marketing' applies here, but I agree that the logo
    could probably be 'more serious' than what I proposed above. I'll think
    about that one some more.

    Cheers,
    Dimitri Tcaciuc, Dec 13, 2004
  11. Dimitri Tcaciuc

    Brian Beck Guest

    Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
    > While I'm not absolutely positive, it looks like Python still doesn't
    > have any official mascot or logo. Hence, here's something I came up with
    > yesterday. Its by no means a final version, but rather just a draft to
    > show an idea. Here's a link to png file.
    >
    > http://www.sfu.ca/~dtcaciuc/art/pymascot.png

    Nice work! I admit it's just too tempting not to design around snake
    imagery for Python. Here are a couple of images/logos (quite a bit
    different from a mascot) I've been working on...

    http://exogen.cwru.edu/python.png
    http://exogen.cwru.edu/python2.png

    If anyone can think of a way to break free of the reptile-oriented
    thought process but maintain clear, symbolic imagery, I'd love to see
    more suggestions or renditions!

    --
    Brian Beck
    Adventurer of the First Order
    Brian Beck, Dec 13, 2004
  12. Steven Bethard, Dec 13, 2004
  13. Brian Beck wrote:
    > Dimitri Tcaciuc wrote:
    >
    >> While I'm not absolutely positive, it looks like Python still doesn't
    >> have any official mascot or logo. Hence, here's something I came up
    >> with yesterday. Its by no means a final version, but rather just a
    >> draft to show an idea. Here's a link to png file.
    >>
    >> http://www.sfu.ca/~dtcaciuc/art/pymascot.png

    > Nice work! I admit it's just too tempting not to design around snake
    > imagery for Python. Here are a couple of images/logos (quite a bit
    > different from a mascot) I've been working on...
    >
    > http://exogen.cwru.edu/python.png
    > http://exogen.cwru.edu/python2.png
    >
    > If anyone can think of a way to break free of the reptile-oriented
    > thought process but maintain clear, symbolic imagery, I'd love to see
    > more suggestions or renditions!

    Since the word 'Python' would bring -some- sort of snake associations, I
    thought of combining snake and Monty Python symbolic, like making a
    snake wind around a giant foot, or adding long mustache and an english
    hat to a snake or something in that manner, or even put a snake into a
    holy grail heh.

    But then again, I'm not sure if there'll be no copyright issues.
    Dimitri Tcaciuc, Dec 13, 2004

  14. > Since the word 'Python' would bring -some- sort of snake associations,
    > thought of combining snake and Monty Python symbolic, like making a
    > snake wind around a giant foot, or adding long mustache and an english
    > hat to a snake or something in that manner, or even put a snake into a
    > holy grail heh.
    >
    > But then again, I'm not sure if there'll be no copyright issues.

    But surely only you and I and the other Pythonistas will recognize a Norwegian Blue when we see one.

    Might be hard to get away from the snake, as was noted, its a level or two easier mental association than MP.

    Logo? Maybe a Norweigian Blue on is back, one fut in e air, wit a snake ead off to is ide, grinningly wit a char-grin?

    es not dead!

    Eric Pederson
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    domainNot="@something.com"
    domainIs=domainNot.replace("s","z")
    ePrefix="".join([chr(ord(x)+1) for x in "do"])
    mailMeAt=ePrefix+domainIs
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Eric Pederson, Dec 13, 2004
  15. Well the most well known Flying Circus snake related sketch is probably
    the one eyed trouser snake one, which is er-, probably less than a good
    idea for a logo. The Snake with some sort of Monty Python themeing is
    probably the best idea, but drawing a snake + large foot/16 ton
    weight/holy grail/norweigan blue might be a bit tricky when you have to
    make small sized icons, which is why the current snake is so handy. I
    guess someone should watch the intro to flying circus, and/or the
    animations from some of the movies for inspiration.

    But on that note, how about a python + rose combo?

    Alex Stapleton, Dec 13, 2004
  16. Dimitri Tcaciuc

    Adil Hasan Guest

    Would a parrot on it's back be better?
    adil

    Adil Hasan, Dec 13, 2004
  17. The problem with parrots is that Perl 6's engine is called Parrot.
    Although I suppose the image of a dead Parrot/snake eating a parrot etc
    could be a "good" one in some peoples minds. But i'm not sure Perl
    people are really the sort that you wan't to make enemies of, they are
    deadly with custard pies. It's a bit immature to insult another language
    like that anyway, not thats the idea you where going for of course.

    Alex Stapleton, Dec 13, 2004
  18. Dimitri Tcaciuc

    Jeremy Jones Guest

    Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:

    >Hey Dimitri,
    >
    >I completely agree with you in that Python needs once for all a cool
    >logo.
    >I like your design very much, but I have a few thoughts about it:
    >
    >1) I think that Python's logo should reflect its power.

    Vorpal Bunny. Now, *that's* power.

    >If we use a mascot as its image, we would be giving the wrong idea:
    >that Python is a "toy" language, instead of a very good alternative to
    >other mainstream languages.
    >
    >2) We should also bear in mind Guido's oppinion about using a snake for
    >identifying Python.

    I've been googling for this today. So, what exactly is Guido's opinion
    on snake logos?

    >3) And finally, we should consider it very seriously. Image is not
    >everything, but it is very important for "marketing" a product. I'm
    >sure that if Java didn't have a cool name and a cool logo, it wouldn't
    >have been that succesfull.
    >
    >I don't mean to sound like I'm rejecting your idea. I really like it
    >alot, and it is an excellent mascot.
    >It's just that I wouldn't use a mascot... I'd rather use a more
    >"killer" image.

    There's not much more of a "killer" than a Vorpal Bunny. Those things
    are vicious.

    >Something that reflects power and excellence.

    I see some similarities between Vorpal Bunnies and Python (the language):

    - Pleasing to the eye
    - Deceptively powerful
    - Gets the job done - and then some

    >What do you think?

    Vorpal Bunny. Because every other logo lacks the power of a rodential
    killer.

    0.5-wink-ly y'rs,

    Jeremy Jones
    Jeremy Jones, Dec 13, 2004
  19. Dimitri Tcaciuc

    Guest

    I thought there was probably already an official mascot. There's a
    little green snake with his tongue hanging out on the left of the URL
    when you visit www.python.org. I see it in my Safari browser on Mac OS
    X and in Firefox, but not in Internet Exploder. I thought that I had
    seen a large picture somewhere, but can't find it now.
    I don't know if he has an official name, but I've been calling him
    Monty. Monty, the Python; not to be confused with Monty Python of
    course ;)

    Dan
    , Dec 13, 2004
  20. Dimitri Tcaciuc

    infidel Guest

    Not that my opinion is worth anything in these matters, but I like the
    upper-left example at http://exogen.cwru.edu/python.png the best (out
    of the samples I've seen thus far). I don't like the "gear" shape, and
    I think adding a coil or circle around the "head" detracts somewhat
    from the look. I like the clean, sharp lines - seems very metaphorical
    for the language. My only critique would be that it appears (to me)
    much like a clan insignia from Battletech. Not that such is a bad
    thing, mind you.

    I think people are a little over-anxious regarding copyright
    infringement. I think a snake around a holy grail would be a fine
    logo, "the holy grail of programming languages" seems appropriate to
    me. There's no way that MPFC can have rights over all possible
    combinations of "Python" and "Holy Grail". Chill out, people.
    infidel, Dec 13, 2004