    Is there any other package that allows sending MIDI events in real
    time? Did anyone recently got any of the above packages to work?

    Maciej
    Maciej Bliziñski, May 6, 2008

  2. Maciej Bliziñski

    alex23 Guest

    On May 6, 6:01 pm, Maciej Bliziñski <>
    wrote:
    > Is there any other package that allows sending MIDI events in real
    > time? Did anyone recently got any of the above packages to work?

    There's MidiKinesis (http://www.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/~brinkman/software/
    midikinesis/) which allows for midi events to be bound to X-Windows
    events. It looks like it achieves this using ctypes to wrap around
    the ALSA libs, which may be another approach to consider. The
    MidiKineses codebase would be a good place to start if you wanted to
    give that a try.

    I'm sorry I can't be of much more help but please keep us posted on
    what you find!

    - alex23
    alex23, May 6, 2008

  3. Maciej Bliziñski

    Max M Guest

    Maciej Blizin'ski skrev:
    > For the last couple of days, I've been looking for a Python midi
    > library. I'm generally interested in sending MIDI events via ALSA. It
    > seems like everything out there is pretty old; packages are from 2003
    > or 2005.

    > existing or very old software packages
    > - http://www.mxm.dk/products/public/pythonmidi/ -- no realtime support

    This is old in the sense that it has been a while since I wrote it. But
    it is virtually bug free, so nothing much is happening.

    The midi standard does not change so there is no real reason to
    change/upgrade it.

    It is currently being used by the very popular "frets on fire"

    http://fretsonfire.sourceforge.net/documentation/source/

    It does not have real time support even though I did write it with that
    support in mind. I just never got around to write it as I did not need
    it myself.

    I also developed it on Windows and I found it to be a bore to get real
    time midi working.

    It would probably be easier now that I am on Linux.

    Well I just thought I would mention that it is not dead. Merely middle aged.

    --

    hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

    http://www.mxm.dk/
    IT's Mad Science
    Max M, May 6, 2008
  4. Maciej Bliziński wrote:
    > For the last couple of days, I've been looking for a Python midi
    > library. I'm generally interested in sending MIDI events via ALSA. It
    > seems like everything out there is pretty old; packages are from 2003
    > or 2005. Some packages don't seem to be really used, for instance
    > portmidi doesn't even support installing it system-wide; you can
    > compile it and... no make install for you.

    I haven't used the PortMidi bindings that are in the Cheeseshop at
    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyPortMidi/0.0.3

    but I've used PortMidi extensively from C++ code and have had excellent
    results with it.
    Brett g Porter, May 6, 2008
  5. Maciej Bliziñski

    Aahz Guest

    Aahz, May 6, 2008
  6. Maciej Bliziñski

    Asun Friere Guest

    On May 6, 7:43 pm, Max M <> wrote:

    > This is old in the sense that it has been a while since I wrote it. But
    > it is virtually bug free, so nothing much is happening.
    >
    > The midi standard does not change so there is no real reason to
    > change/upgrade it.

    Maybe you should add a method somehwere that does nothing much,
    increment the version number and give it a 2008 date? ;)
    Asun Friere, May 7, 2008
  7. Maciej Bliziñski

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 6 Mai, 11:43, Max M <> wrote:

    [Python Midi]

    > It does not have real time support even though I did write it with that
    > support in mind. I just never got around to write it as I did not need
    > it myself.
    >
    > I also developed it on Windows and I found it to be a bore to get real
    > time midi working.
    >
    > It would probably be easier now that I am on Linux.

    I was previously quite interested in getting MIDI output working for a
    game I wrote, and I suppose that the Python Midi package would have
    been of interest (with pygame probably handling the interface to the
    hardware), but given the bizarre kernel module gymnastics required to
    support real-time output (and I still don't know if my sound hardware
    actually supports MIDI directly or not), I decided in the end to use
    timidity to generate normal audio files and to send those through the
    sound system instead. Of course, that more or less eliminates any real-
    time aspects.

    Paul
    Paul Boddie, May 7, 2008