python mysteriously halts

Todd

Hello everyone,

I ran a python script last night which connects to a matlab automation
server via DCOM (using win32com). I expected to see the results when
I came in this morning. But apparently, not long after I left, python
stopped. I hit enter in the console, and it started again. I scoured
the handful of lines of code to see if there was any kind of input
statement put there by accident but couldn't find one. Furthermore,
I've run this code many times without it pausing. It's still possible
I've done something boneheaded, but I'm wondering if there is another
reason (e.g. a pause in the win32com module, some kind of timeout
feature if the system is idle, etc.). thank you

Peter Otten

Todd said:
I ran a python script last night which connects to a matlab automation
server via DCOM (using win32com). I expected to see the results when
I came in this morning. But apparently, not long after I left, python
stopped. I hit enter in the console, and it started again. I scoured
the handful of lines of code to see if there was any kind of input
statement put there by accident but couldn't find one. Furthermore,
I've run this code many times without it pausing. It's still possible
I've done something boneheaded, but I'm wondering if there is another
reason (e.g. a pause in the win32com module, some kind of timeout
feature if the system is idle, etc.). thank you

You could start your debugging process by hitting Control-C instead of
<enter> and study the traceback.

Peter

Tim Golden

Todd said:
I ran a python script last night which connects to a matlab automation
server via DCOM (using win32com). I expected to see the results when
I came in this morning. But apparently, not long after I left, python
stopped. I hit enter in the console, and it started again.

Symptomatically, at least, this can be caused by someone starting to
select (with the mouse) an area of the screen: the process will pause
until <Enter> is pressed, which copies the area to the clipboard. This
only happens with a console window, but it sounds like that's what
you had running.

TJG

goldfita

Symptomatically, at least, this can be caused by someone starting to
select (with the mouse) an area of the screen: the process will pause
until <Enter> is pressed, which copies the area to the clipboard. This
only happens with a console window, but it sounds like that's what
you had running.

TJG

That might be it, although I don't recall doing that. Fortunately/
unfortunately, it happened a few times, but it seems to have stopped
now.

Todd

Symptomatically, at least, this can be caused by someone starting to
select (with the mouse) an area of the screen: the process will pause
until <Enter> is pressed, which copies the area to the clipboard. This
only happens with a console window, but it sounds like that's what
you had running.

TJG

That might be it, although I don't recall doing that. Fortunately/
unfortunately, it happened a few times, but it seems to have stopped
now.

Gabriel Genellina

That might be it, although I don't recall doing that. Fortunately/
unfortunately, it happened a few times, but it seems to have stopped
now.

You could disable that behaviour by unchecking "Quick edit mode" (or
something like that) in the Default preferences for the console window.
(It's unchecked by default on WinXP and Win2003, I think).