Python Newbie. Python on PPC, please assist.

Discussion in 'Python' started by pythonnewbie, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. pythonnewbie

    pythonnewbie Guest

    Hi All. I'm just starting to learn programming using Python. I am new to
    programming so please be patient with me!
    I found this for Pocket PC:
    http://www.murkworks.com/Research/Python/PocketPCPython/PPCPythonR2Notes
    I tried installing it and for some reason it would not work. Having
    installed it, clicking on the program gives the error "PocketPCPython.exe
    or one of it's components cannot be found", even though I am directly
    clicking on the exe, and even after much fiddling making sure all the files
    are there.
    I'm not a newbie as far as pda's go, so I'm a little confused as to why it's
    not working.
    What I really want to know though, is what it actually, does before I go
    about spending time getting it working. I mean, is it a development
    environment, like IDLE, or does it just install the Python libraries so you
    can run Python programs on a PPC, or what? As I said, I am a complete
    programming newbie so sorry if I'm talking rubbish.
    I'd be really greatful if someone could tell me what the Python PPC program
    is/does. Also if there are any other (better) programs for Python on PPC.
    And if anyone has any ideas why the install didn't work on the PPC, I'd be
    greatful for advice on that too.
    Many thanks in advance.
    pythonnewbie, Oct 8, 2004

  2. pythonnewbie

    Byron Guest

    Hi PN,

    *From what I understand*, each type of pocket PC has a different CPU
    chip built into it -- which means that you will have to find a compiled
    version of python that is "compatible" with the CPU that your device has.

    If the software isn't compiled for your device's CPU, it simply won't
    work...

    Hope this helps!

    Byron
    ---

    Byron, Oct 8, 2004

  3. pythonnewbie

    Fuzzyman Guest

    On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:11:50 +0100, "pythonnewbie" <.> wrote:

    >Hi All. I'm just starting to learn programming using Python. I am new to
    >programming so please be patient with me!
    >I found this for Pocket PC:
    >http://www.murkworks.com/Research/Python/PocketPCPython/PPCPythonR2Notes

    There is a sourceforge project for the latest and greatest Python for
    PPC release, I *think* the murkworks one is out of date.

    There is also a PythonCE mailing list which will be much better suited
    to helping you.

    The otehr gentleman who replied is entirely correct - you must be sure
    that he version you are using is compiled for your CPU type *and* for
    your version of the operating system.

    It is currently *only* a python interpreter withstdlib. IDLE has not
    been successfully ported. Tk/Tkinter has been ported - but the Tk/Tcl
    port is a 'work in progress'.

    Python on PPC unfortunately doesn't have a working raw_input command
    (because of limitation in the underlying C library) and the GUI
    library (as I mentioned) is still flaky. The interpreter woorks fine
    though and is great for experimenting on the move. Developing with it
    is a pain !! (Although I do do it). There aren't many/any program
    written with python for the PPC.

    If you are a newbie then learn python on the desktop first.

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Oct 8, 2004
  4. pythonnewbie

    pythonnewbie Guest

    Many thanks for your help! I now have Python 2.3.4 installed and running on
    the ppc :) You are correct I had to get the ARM release for my device, and
    the murkworks one certainly seems to be out of date.
    The pythonCE mailing list sounds great- any idea how i can join this?
    You mentioned Tk/Tkinter and Tk/Tcl- are these two different development
    enviroments?
    I had heard about the raw_input limitation, and also heard that the solution
    was to use a dialog box for text input.. I am yet to find out how to put in
    a dialog box (there doesn't appear to be a function to get text input from a
    dialog box...) being so new to all this...
    You mentioned that the port had just the standard lib.. Is there any (easy)
    way of adding extra libs? I wanted to add the easygame lib and I put it in
    what I thought was the appropriate folder on the PPC, and it wouldn't
    recognise it.... I put the .pyc easygame lib in, as well as the .py, as all
    the files in the folder appeared to be complied ones (.pyc). Still no luck.
    Many thanks again for all your help!
    P.S. I am new to newsgroups too... I am using Outlook Express to post,
    however the replies don't seem to show up in Outlook Express.. When I check
    in Outlook Express, it says my original message has no replies, but when I
    checked using Google groups, hey presto- there were your two replies! Any
    ideas what I'm doing wrong?

    pythonnewbie, Oct 9, 2004
  5. "pythonnewbie" <.> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Many thanks for your help! I now have Python 2.3.4 installed and running on
    > the ppc :) You are correct I had to get the ARM release for my device, and
    > the murkworks one certainly seems to be out of date.

    Sourceforge is the right place to get releases.

    > The pythonCE mailing list sounds great- any idea how i can join this?

    Sorry - I was just being lazy, I should have listed this before.

    > You mentioned Tk/Tkinter and Tk/Tcl- are these two different development
    > enviroments?

    No, they are the same. Tk is the graphics library itself and Tcl is
    the language that it works 'with'. Tkinter is the python library that
    is a bridge to the Tk library. The latest version of python for PPC
    comes with a good version of Tkinter, but you will still need to get
    the PPC port of Tk/Tcl.

    > I had heard about the raw_input limitation, and also heard that the solution
    > was to use a dialog box for text input.. I am yet to find out how to put in
    > a dialog box (there doesn't appear to be a function to get text input from a
    > dialog box...) being so new to all this...

    I would recommend playing with Tk on a desktop machine for a bit. It's
    not *very* difficult, but there is a learning curve.

    > You mentioned that the port had just the standard lib.. Is there any (easy)

    *Just* the standard lib, thats pretty damn good.

    > way of adding extra libs? I wanted to add the easygame lib and I put it in
    > what I thought was the appropriate folder on the PPC, and it wouldn't

    Any pure python library should 'just work'.

    > recognise it.... I put the .pyc easygame lib in, as well as the .py, as all
    > the files in the folder appeared to be complied ones (.pyc). Still no luck.
    > Many thanks again for all your help!

    If you ask this question again on the pythonCE mailing list we'll work
    it out.

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Michael Foord, Oct 11, 2004
  6. pythonnewbie

    pythonnewbie Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I have been playing with Python etc on the desktop,
    but it's useful on the PPC for trying things out while travelling. I can
    learn on the bus etc then.!
    I will certainly join the mailing list, and it'd be great if we could sort
    out the problem there.
    I won't be able to for about a week though, but I look forward to sorting it
    out then.
    Many thanks again!

    pythonnewbie, Oct 12, 2004