python object model diagram

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ara.T.Howard, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. Ara.T.Howard

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

    anyone out there know where i might find a python object model diagram?

    cheers.

    -a
    Ara.T.Howard, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Ara.T.Howard

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Ara.T.Howard wrote:

    > anyone out there know where i might find a python object model diagram?

    Python is a programming language; they don't have object model diagrams.

    Or maybe you're referring to the Python *source* code? That's in C,
    which isn't object oriented and wouldn't have an object model diagram
    either.

    What is it you really want?

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Sep 9, 2005

  3. Ara.T.Howard

    gene tani Guest

    I think he's looking for tidy pictures of how metaclasses and
    descriptors interact with your classes and instances at compile- &
    runtime, something like that (which I haven't seen)

    There's pictures of the class hierarchy for C and j-python:

    http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/html/page114.html
    http://www.jython.org/docs/javadoc/overview-tree.html

    , there's pictures of method resolution order in Python Nutshell, (but
    I don't think that's what he's looking for.)

    gene tani, Sep 10, 2005
  4. Ara.T.Howard

    Mike Guest

    I think he's looking for diagrams of the batteries-included modules and
    classes.
    My guess is that he thinks there's a set of "framework" classes that is a
    lot deeper and class-ier than it is, similar to what you'd find in C++, C#,
    Java, etc.

    So, OP - who won the guessing game :)

    Mike, Sep 10, 2005
  5. Ara.T.Howard

    Guest

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, gene tani wrote:

    > I think he's looking for tidy pictures of how metaclasses and
    > descriptors interact with your classes and instances at compile- &
    > runtime, something like that (which I haven't seen)
    >
    > There's pictures of the class hierarchy for C and j-python:
    >
    > http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/html/page114.html

    this is along the lines of what i was asking alright.

    > http://www.jython.org/docs/javadoc/overview-tree.html

    can one assume this hierarchy maps well to the actual python/c one? i'd
    imagine it's close at least...

    thanks for the links!

    regards.

    -a
    | phone :: 303.497.6469
    | Like a lamp standing in a strong breeze. --Nagarjuna
    , Sep 10, 2005
  6. Ara.T.Howard

    Peter Hansen Guest

    gene tani wrote:
    > I think he's looking for tidy pictures of how metaclasses and
    > descriptors interact with your classes and instances at compile- &
    > runtime, something like that (which I haven't seen)
    >
    > There's pictures of the class hierarchy for C and j-python:
    >
    > http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/html/page114.html

    Hmm... isn't that just a diagram of one guy's set of classes (Bruce, who
    wrote a book about data structures apparently), not of anything
    particularly specific to Python. For example, standard Python certainly
    doesn't have any class called MultisetAsLinkedList.

    But you could be right that he's looking for a class hierarchy diagram.
    If so, the question is still "of what classes?".

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Sep 10, 2005