    runs Windows CE. If so, what all is needed to make this possible.
    Thanks

    Nick../

    Nick, Sep 11, 2006

  2. Nick

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Nick" <> writes:
    > I have never programmed in Python a day in my life. My group is working
    > on developing an application on the Dell Axim hand held that has a
    > tight deadline. I have heard that Python is particularly advantageous
    > in rapid prototyping and deployment. I would like to lean this way if I
    > can. Does anyone know if I can run Python on the Dell Axim handheld. It
    > runs Windows CE. If so, what all is needed to make this possible.

    Someone did a WinCE port a while back, but I don't think it's actively
    used much. The approach might be reasonable if you're an expert with
    some time on your hands, but for a newcomer with an onrushing
    deadline, you may be better off using whatever you're already using
    (VB or whatever), and keeping Python in mind for some future project.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 11, 2006

  3. Nick

    Luke Dunstan Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > "Nick" <> writes:
    >> I have never programmed in Python a day in my life. My group is working
    >> on developing an application on the Dell Axim hand held that has a
    >> tight deadline. I have heard that Python is particularly advantageous
    >> in rapid prototyping and deployment. I would like to lean this way if I
    >> can. Does anyone know if I can run Python on the Dell Axim handheld. It
    >> runs Windows CE. If so, what all is needed to make this possible.

    > Someone did a WinCE port a while back, but I don't think it's actively
    > used much. The approach might be reasonable if you're an expert with
    > some time on your hands, but for a newcomer with an onrushing
    > deadline, you may be better off using whatever you're already using
    > (VB or whatever), and keeping Python in mind for some future project.

    I agree that it is much less active than Python on other platforms, and in
    some areas it lags behind the PC, e.g. in GUI toolkits. However, if you want
    to try it go here:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonce

    See also the mailing list:

    Luke Dunstan

    Luke Dunstan, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Nick

    Bob Greschke Guest

    "Luke Dunstan" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    >> "Nick" <> writes:
    >>> I have never programmed in Python a day in my life. My group is working
    >>> on developing an application on the Dell Axim hand held that has a
    >>> tight deadline. I have heard that Python is particularly advantageous
    >>> in rapid prototyping and deployment. I would like to lean this way if I
    >>> can. Does anyone know if I can run Python on the Dell Axim handheld. It
    >>> runs Windows CE. If so, what all is needed to make this possible.

    >> Someone did a WinCE port a while back, but I don't think it's actively
    >> used much. The approach might be reasonable if you're an expert with
    >> some time on your hands, but for a newcomer with an onrushing
    >> deadline, you may be better off using whatever you're already using
    >> (VB or whatever), and keeping Python in mind for some future project.

    > I agree that it is much less active than Python on other platforms, and in
    > some areas it lags behind the PC, e.g. in GUI toolkits. However, if you
    > want to try it go here:
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonce
    >
    > See also the mailing list:

    > Luke Dunstan

    NSBasic (which has a CE version) is pretty nice for PalmOS. Making
    applications is pretty straightforward if you don't need to access serial
    ports and stuff like that. Nice IDE too.

    Bob

    Bob Greschke, Sep 11, 2006