    capabilities if there is enough interest.

    Enjoy...

    Jon Dowdall
    Jon Dowdall, Apr 9, 2011

  2. On Apr 8, 10:13 pm, Jon Dowdall <jon_dot_dowdall_at@_gmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Sorry for the blatant advertising but hope some of you may be interested
    > to know that I've created an iPad application containing the python
    > interpreter and a simple execution environment. It's available in iTunes
    > athttp://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pypad/id428928902?mt=8#
    >
    > I wanted to have python available 'on the go' without carrying a laptop.
    > The current implementation is based on my need to test simple python
    > functions in an isolated environment. I hope to add more iOS specific
    > capabilities if there is enough interest.

    I'm definitely interested in your adding more capabilities.

    Nice work so far. I'm surprised at the number of things that you got
    work in the first version: long integers, simple classes, a number of
    modules successfully import (math and itertools for example).

    I don't now how difficult the work is, but it would be nice to have a
    way to save multiple scripts, have an interactive prompt, and get more
    modules to work (random, collections, functools).

    Thanks again for your work.

    Raymond
    twitter: @raymondh
    Raymond Hettinger, Apr 9, 2011

  3. Jon Dowdall

    Jon Dowdall Guest

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 00:36:58 -0700, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

    > On Apr 8, 10:13 pm, Jon Dowdall <jon_dot_dowdall_at@_gmail.com> wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Sorry for the blatant advertising but hope some of you may be
    >> interested to know that I've created an iPad application containing the
    >> python interpreter and a simple execution environment. It's available
    >> in iTunes athttp://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pypad/id428928902?mt=8#
    >>
    >> I wanted to have python available 'on the go' without carrying a
    >> laptop. The current implementation is based on my need to test simple
    >> python functions in an isolated environment. I hope to add more iOS
    >> specific capabilities if there is enough interest.

    > I'm definitely interested in your adding more capabilities.
    >
    > Nice work so far. I'm surprised at the number of things that you got
    > work in the first version: long integers, simple classes, a number of
    > modules successfully import (math and itertools for example).
    >
    > I don't now how difficult the work is, but it would be nice to have a
    > way to save multiple scripts, have an interactive prompt, and get more
    > modules to work (random, collections, functools).
    >
    > Thanks again for your work.
    >

    > Raymond
    > twitter: @raymondh

    Thanks for the great feedback.

    An updated version, that has some minor GUI improvements and allows the
    python code to be transferred via iTunes, is awaiting approval.

    Hope to get to some of the other items you mention as time permits :)

    Cheers,

    Jon
    Jon Dowdall, Apr 9, 2011
  4. Jon Dowdall

    Aahz Guest

    In article <4d9feaea$0$29996$c3e8da3$>,
    Jon Dowdall <jon_dot_dowdall_at@_gmail.com> wrote:

    >Sorry for the blatant advertising but hope some of you may be interested
    >to know that I've created an iPad application containing the python
    >interpreter and a simple execution environment. It's available in iTunes
    >at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pypad/id428928902?mt=8#

    There's nothing wrong with advertising this, I suggest that you also
    announce it on c.l.py.announce
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    "At Resolver we've found it useful to short-circuit any doubt and just
    refer to comments in code as 'lies'. :)"
    --Michael Foord paraphrases Christian Muirhead on python-dev, 2009-03-22
    Aahz, Apr 9, 2011
  5. On Apr 9, 2:13 pm, Jon Dowdall <jon_dot_dowdall_at@_gmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Sorry for the blatant advertising but hope some of you may be interested
    > to know that I've created an iPad application containing the python
    > interpreter and a simple execution environment. It's available in iTunes
    > athttp://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pypad/id428928902?mt=8#
    >
    > I wanted to have python available 'on the go' without carrying a laptop.
    > The current implementation is based on my need to test simple python
    > functions in an isolated environment. I hope to add more iOS specific
    > capabilities if there is enough interest.
    >
    > Enjoy...
    >
    > Jon Dowdall

    I know this sound shallow, but you really need a nicer icon.

    Otherwise, I'm quite excited about this. It will certainly be better
    than my current workflow of connecting via ssh to a server just to run
    python code.

    Matt.
    Matt Schinckel, Apr 10, 2011
  6. Jon Dowdall

    Drew Guest

    On Apr 10, 1:48 am, Matt Schinckel <> wrote:
    > On Apr 9, 2:13 pm, Jon Dowdall <jon_dot_dowdall_at@_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All,

    > > Sorry for the blatant advertising but hope some of you may be interested
    > > to know that I've created an iPad application containing the python
    > > interpreter and a simple execution environment. It's available in iTunes
    > > athttp://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pypad/id428928902?mt=8#

    > > I wanted to have python available 'on the go' without carrying a laptop..
    > > The current implementation is based on my need to test simple python
    > > functions in an isolated environment. I hope to add more iOS specific
    > > capabilities if there is enough interest.

    > > Enjoy...

    > > Jon Dowdall

    > I know this sound shallow, but you really need a nicer icon.
    >
    > Otherwise, I'm quite excited about this. It will certainly be better
    > than my current workflow of connecting via ssh to a server just to run
    > python code.
    >
    > Matt.

    There's a Pypad on SourceForge, but it is flagged as no longer under
    active development. Dead or just sleeping? Is this Pypad distinct
    from that old one on SourceForge? Or a revival? OpenSource?

    Drew
    Drew, May 5, 2011