python on iPad (PyPad)

Jon Dowdall

Hi All,

Sorry for the blatant advertising but hope some of you may be interested
to know that I've created an iPad application containing the python
interpreter and a simple execution environment. It's available in iTunes
at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pypad/id428928902?mt=8#

I wanted to have python available 'on the go' without carrying a laptop.
The current implementation is based on my need to test simple python
functions in an isolated environment. I hope to add more iOS specific
capabilities if there is enough interest.

Enjoy...

Jon Dowdall

Raymond Hettinger

Hi All,

Sorry for the blatant advertising but hope some of you may be interested
to know that I've created an iPad application containing the python
interpreter and a simple execution environment. It's available in iTunes
athttp://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pypad/id428928902?mt=8#

I wanted to have python available 'on the go' without carrying a laptop.
The current implementation is based on my need to test simple python
functions in an isolated environment. I hope to add more iOS specific
capabilities if there is enough interest.

I'm definitely interested in your adding more capabilities.

Nice work so far. I'm surprised at the number of things that you got
work in the first version: long integers, simple classes, a number of
modules successfully import (math and itertools for example).

I don't now how difficult the work is, but it would be nice to have a
way to save multiple scripts, have an interactive prompt, and get more
modules to work (random, collections, functools).

Thanks again for your work.

Raymond
twitter: @raymondh

Jon Dowdall

I'm definitely interested in your adding more capabilities.

Nice work so far. I'm surprised at the number of things that you got
work in the first version: long integers, simple classes, a number of
modules successfully import (math and itertools for example).

I don't now how difficult the work is, but it would be nice to have a
way to save multiple scripts, have an interactive prompt, and get more
modules to work (random, collections, functools).

Thanks again for your work.

Raymond
twitter: @raymondh

Thanks for the great feedback.

An updated version, that has some minor GUI improvements and allows the
python code to be transferred via iTunes, is awaiting approval.

Hope to get to some of the other items you mention as time permits :)

Cheers,

Jon

Aahz

Sorry for the blatant advertising but hope some of you may be interested
to know that I've created an iPad application containing the python
interpreter and a simple execution environment. It's available in iTunes
at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pypad/id428928902?mt=8#

There's nothing wrong with advertising this, I suggest that you also
announce it on c.l.py.announce
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"At Resolver we've found it useful to short-circuit any doubt and just
refer to comments in code as 'lies'. :)"
--Michael Foord paraphrases Christian Muirhead on python-dev, 2009-03-22

Matt Schinckel

Hi All,

Sorry for the blatant advertising but hope some of you may be interested
to know that I've created an iPad application containing the python
interpreter and a simple execution environment. It's available in iTunes
athttp://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pypad/id428928902?mt=8#

I wanted to have python available 'on the go' without carrying a laptop.
The current implementation is based on my need to test simple python
functions in an isolated environment. I hope to add more iOS specific
capabilities if there is enough interest.

Enjoy...

Jon Dowdall

I know this sound shallow, but you really need a nicer icon.

Otherwise, I'm quite excited about this. It will certainly be better
than my current workflow of connecting via ssh to a server just to run
python code.

Matt.

Drew

I know this sound shallow, but you really need a nicer icon.

Otherwise, I'm quite excited about this. It will certainly be better
than my current workflow of connecting via ssh to a server just to run
python code.

Matt.

There's a Pypad on SourceForge, but it is flagged as no longer under
active development. Dead or just sleeping? Is this Pypad distinct
from that old one on SourceForge? Or a revival? OpenSource?

Drew