Python on the web - newby question

Discussion in 'Python' started by Bruno Desthuilliers, Sep 3, 2008.

  1. SimonPalmer a écrit :
    > Apologies in advance if this is either a) the wrong board or b) been
    > answered a million times elsewhere, but...
    >
    > I have been given an assignment to get a python module up and running
    > behind an existing web site. At the moment the rest of the site is
    > developed in PHP but the hosts have said they will provide python
    > support for free, although they haven't given any more details than
    > that, so I'm not sure exactly what that means.

    Depending on the hosts, this can range from having an antiquated python
    version with only cgi enabled and no way to install anything to the very
    last stable release and (almost) whatever third-part lib / frameworks
    and correct configuration.

    > All reasonably
    > encouraging though.
    >
    > I'm a newbie to python but quite experienced with Java/J2EE/JBoss.

    Quite another world...

    > What I need to know is how I get python running on the server

    For which definition of 'server' ? The computer, or the web server process ?

    > and what
    > tools/middleware I would need to have installed on the host's machines
    > to be able to support my python modules.

    Depends on your modules dependencies !-)

    More seriously : Python is known has being the language with more web
    frameworks than keywords. IOW, there's no simple straightforward answer
    to your question. Fisrt choose which Python web development solution you
    intend to use, then read the FineManual's "deployment" section of the
    chosen solution.

    You'll find pointers to most web-related libs / frameworks here:
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebProgramming

    Given your situation (Python newcomer with a real job to do), and if
    your job is anything more than a very Q&D deadsimple task, I'd
    personnaly recommand Django (http://djangiproject.com). Don't let the
    version number fools you (latest version is 1.0 release candidate),
    Django is a mature, solid and proven solution that have years of
    existance, and what they call 1.0rc would be labeled at least 3.5 for
    some other software... It's also mostly documented, and there's a strong
    community around the framework, so you should not have much problem
    getting help.

    For any other Python question (I mean, non django-related), you're at
    the right place.

    Oh, and yes, if I may suggest a reading:
    http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html

    HTH, and welcome on board...

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Sep 3, 2008

  2. Bruno Desthuilliers

    SimonPalmer Guest

    Apologies in advance if this is either a) the wrong board or b) been
    answered a million times elsewhere, but...

    I have been given an assignment to get a python module up and running
    behind an existing web site. At the moment the rest of the site is
    developed in PHP but the hosts have said they will provide python
    support for free, although they haven't given any more details than
    that, so I'm not sure exactly what that means. All reasonably
    encouraging though.

    I'm a newbie to python but quite experienced with Java/J2EE/JBoss.
    What I need to know is how I get python running on the server and what
    tools/middleware I would need to have installed on the host's machines
    to be able to support my python modules.

    Again, apologies if this is the wrong place but I'm a bit lost and
    would really appreciate some pointers.

    TIA
    Simon

    SimonPalmer, Sep 3, 2008

  3. Bruno Desthuilliers

    SimonPalmer Guest

    On Sep 3, 8:41 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers
    <> wrote:
    > SimonPalmer a écrit :
    >
    > > Apologies in advance if this is either a) the wrong board or b) been
    > > answered a million times elsewhere, but...

    > > I have been given an assignment to get a python module up and running
    > > behind an existing web site.  At the moment the rest of the site is
    > > developed in PHP but the hosts have said they will provide python
    > > support for free, although they haven't given any more details than
    > > that, so I'm not sure exactly what that means.

    > Depending on the hosts, this can range from having an antiquated python
    > version with only cgi enabled and no way to install anything to the very
    > last stable release and (almost) whatever third-part lib / frameworks
    > and correct configuration.
    >
    > >  All reasonably
    > > encouraging though.

    > > I'm a newbie to python but quite experienced with Java/J2EE/JBoss.

    > Quite another world...
    >
    > > What I need to know is how I get python running on the server

    > For which definition of 'server' ? The computer, or the web server process ?
    >
    > > and what
    > > tools/middleware I would need to have installed on the host's machines
    > > to be able to support my python modules.

    > Depends on your modules dependencies !-)
    >
    > More seriously : Python is known has being the language with more web
    > frameworks than keywords. IOW, there's no simple straightforward answer
    > to your question. Fisrt choose which Python web development solution you
    > intend to use, then read the FineManual's "deployment" section of the
    > chosen solution.
    >
    > You'll find pointers to most web-related libs / frameworks here:http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworkshttp://wiki.python.org/moin/WebProgramming
    >
    > Given your situation (Python newcomer with a real job to do), and if
    > your job is anything more than a very Q&D deadsimple task, I'd
    > personnaly recommand Django (http://djangiproject.com). Don't let the
    > version number fools you (latest version is 1.0 release candidate),
    > Django is a mature, solid and proven solution that have years of
    > existance, and what they call 1.0rc would be labeled at least 3.5 for
    > some other software... It's also mostly documented, and there's a strong
    > community around the framework, so you should not have much problem
    > getting help.
    >
    > For any other Python question (I mean, non django-related), you're at
    > the right place.
    >
    > Oh, and yes, if I may suggest a reading:http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html
    >
    > HTH, and welcome on board...

    Hey, thanks very much this is really helpful. What I really need is
    pointers, I'm sure I can figure the rest out. I am indeed a guy with
    a real job to do. Doesn't help that the client and host are on the
    other side of the world.

    I quite like python. As a veteran coder who has tried a lot of
    languages this has been a pleasant experience so far. I *really* like
    numpy and scipy. My stock in trade is algorithms and they are quite a
    revelation. I wish I had known about them sooner and I think they
    will keep me coming back to python regularly.

    Thanks again.
    SP

    SimonPalmer, Sep 3, 2008