Python on TV-centric platforms

Discussion in 'Python' started by Vitaliy Yermolenko, Feb 7, 2009.

  1. Vitaliy Yermolenko, Feb 7, 2009

  2. Vitaliy Yermolenko schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Any chance to see Python to be ready for "Widget Development Kit (WDK)
    > to third-party developers to create applications and services for
    > viewing on TVs, or to move applications to the TV from the PC viewing
    > environment" as on
    > http://www.intelconsumerelectronics.com/Consumer-Electronics-3.0/Widget-Channel-Overview.aspx?
    > Thoughts/ideas?

    Given that the site shows not much more but marketing statements for
    otherwise technically unspecified systems (mentioning only a few
    buzzwords like JS & AJAX), I guess the answer is: sure python is ready.
    It is for example used in superkaramba, a widget-application even older
    than the OSX variant of the same concept.

    But unless you have a concrete system in mind, with a toolchain and
    actual WDK, the answer can't possibly be final.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Feb 8, 2009

  3. Vitaliy Yermolenko

    alex23 Guest

    On Feb 8, 9:23 am, Vitaliy Yermolenko <> wrote:
    > Any chance to see Python to be ready for "Widget Development Kit (WDK)
    > to third-party developers to create applications and services for
    > viewing on TVs [...]

    The excellent XBMC[1] has had Python support for years.

    1: http://xbmc.org/
    alex23, Feb 8, 2009