Python on TV-centric platforms

Diez B. Roggisch

Vitaliy said:
Hi,

Any chance to see Python to be ready for "Widget Development Kit (WDK)
to third-party developers to create applications and services for
viewing on TVs, or to move applications to the TV from the PC viewing
environment" as on
http://www.intelconsumerelectronics.com/Consumer-Electronics-3.0/Widget-Channel-Overview.aspx?
Thoughts/ideas?

Given that the site shows not much more but marketing statements for
otherwise technically unspecified systems (mentioning only a few
buzzwords like JS & AJAX), I guess the answer is: sure python is ready.
It is for example used in superkaramba, a widget-application even older
than the OSX variant of the same concept.

But unless you have a concrete system in mind, with a toolchain and
actual WDK, the answer can't possibly be final.

Diez

alex23

Any chance to see Python to be ready for "Widget Development Kit (WDK)
to third-party developers to create applications and services for
viewing on TVs [...]

The excellent XBMC[1] has had Python support for years.

1: http://xbmc.org/